Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Saints - Oldham agreement

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 bill churmsleftsock

bill churmsleftsock
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Here's a fresh suggestion, why don't the super league teams run a reserve league and call them,er, let me think, er A teams has a nice ring....call me old fashioned...
Desperate measures put into place by desperate teams with great lineage being strangled by the super league and it's selfish greed. The RFL have blindly allowed Sky to dominate to the detriment of the game below super league within the heartlands. Summer rugby? It's ######. No other word for it. There are far too many other distractions at that time of year both for the pro game and definitely for the amateur game to flourish. Rugby League is a television stop gap for sky's soccer coverage and nothing else considering rugby union hasn't totally sold its soul to Murdoch. We need to make the best of a bad job. Becoming a sucker club for a super league club,possibly teatering on the edge of financial disaster itself isn't it.

Edited by bill churmsleftsock, 04 October 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#22 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 700 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

The games a joke and this is the icing on the cake.
I think the feeder club situation is more a geographical choice and my bet will be Salford or Huddersfield rather than Saints.
To think we could be a feeder club for these clubs is too hard to swallow....its ridiculous...but that's the RFL for you!

#23 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

By having SL clubs the feeder clubs it stops the financial burden of running teams below the firsts, and the money saved goes straight back into the pockets of, well, the players and club officials. Why run reserve teams, when you can get a lower league club to do it for you?
The whole thing stinks to high heaven, and another reason that people are turning away from the game outside the top flight.

#24 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

Completely agree Oldhamer - I would rather finish bottom of the league and make a stand against this than 'sell our soul'....we are Oldham Rugby for god's sake!!

If all these players are floating around, why not just snap them up and retain our identity? I fear this will be the straw that finally breaks the camels back if CH goes ahead. I'd rather just continue to watch the amateurs if I'm honest.

#25 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

To be be honest, I am questioning whether to carry on watching RL as a spectator as if Oldham go down this route. Its something I do not believe in, and that the RFL/SL have finally ruined Oldham as RL town.

#26 winedrinkerme

winedrinkerme
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

this would be the end of orlfc as we know it and yes he is asking for investers but he must know that nobody would invest in a feeder club

#27 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

With the amount of young players being released by SL clubs, with the demise of their academies. There should be no need for any CH, CH1 club to act as a feeder club. There should be rich pickings available to all. It could even benefit towns like Oldham that produces its fair share of Professional players, as not as many of the towns elite will be snapped up by SL clubs now.

#28 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

Rumours up here in haven are were getting saints u23,s and rochdale are getting the u20,s as i say just a rumour mind

#29 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

There is only one answer.

Break all ties with the Super League apart from the challenge cup which is not theirs.

Run the Championship as a two division set up with promotion and relegation.

Bring back the county cups.

Link up the championship with the Amateur clubs and make SL pay a transfer fee for any players from the championship or Amateur clubs.

Have only two overseas players per club who must be able to assist with the coaching in the Amateur game and schools.

Play from October to May with a break in January.

SUMMER RUGBY ( A little bit of sun and a lot of rain)

Over 100 years of History to become feeder fodder for Super League.

NO NO NO

#30 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Can't argue with that Harry. Sensible suggestion.

#31 roughyed49

roughyed49
  • Facebook
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

Never got over the Chris Joynt transfer fee and swop ,ridiculous.

#32 roughyed49

roughyed49
  • Facebook
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Do you rememeber the days of one division where you actually had an outside chance of beating a top team, the game survived part time with transfer fees. Now robotic,predictable,closed shop nonsense

#33 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Yep, Roughyed49. Those days (apart from Fev this season beating a poor Cas outfit), are well and truly gone, and is one of the reasons the Challenge Cup has lost it's appeal.
IMHO SL has not improved our sport at all, its ruined it.
Before SL, Rugby League had a much better club competition than RU, and were far superior in attendances, yet RU had the better International stage. Now RU not only beats us, it absolutely makes our game a laughing stock. Since the break up of the GB team into home nations, I could see the reasons behind it, but again, in true RL style, it's bent. Listening to an interview last week on the radio, it was stated that if a red hot player was eligible to play for either Ireland/Scotland/Wales, the RL would do anything for that player to play for England - how can that strengthen the International game? It's a joke.

#34 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Rugby League is going from the sublime to the ridiculous in the way it is run. CH as stated that he is talking to a number of clubs regarding this feeder idea.That is not surprising given the number of good young players that are signed from this area.The SL clubs see the amateur game in the Oldham area as a hotbed of talent.

Edited by HARRYRUBY, 05 October 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#35 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

As a scout from a SL club was heard to say. "I like Oldham, I can have as many as I want from here"

#36 winedrinkerme

winedrinkerme
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

lets cut all ties with superleague and ditch sky and lets see how long superleague lasts as i think its getting tired and more money going into rugby union bigger game (more widespread)

#37 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

I've thought for a long time that we should distance ourselves from SL and form a one division set up like it used to be in days gone by. You could, possibly, create two divisions with P & R, the second of which could be new teams in other parts of the country who want to enter the league. We should get rid of the NR Cup and return to winter rugby, far too many distractions in summer, and bring back the county cups. I would also be in favour of mounting a legal challenge, pardon the pun, to bring the Challenge Cup into our ownership and prevent SL clubs from competing in the competition. You are right that the competition has been devalued. I vividly recall Oldham in the late 1950s, top of the league, best team in the land, but got beat by a lowly Bramley side at home when they were hot favourites not only to win the game but win the cup. That can never happen now the gap is too big.
I am totally against feeder clubs no matter what CH says about not losing our identity. You cannot avoid losing your identity, but on the other hand while other clubs go down this road we are always going to be second fiddle to those clubs who have access to SL hopefuls, cast offs etc or who farm out experienced players recovering from injuries for a week or two. Remember the Barry McDermott fiasco when he was playing for Batley was it? to get match fit again before going back into the Leeds team?
Not sure if that would be the death knell for SL clubs but I do agree that the game is tired and, though lots will disagree with me, boring. RU is far bigger, is nationwide and will continue to attract the big money from SKY and the BBC. I can however foresee a time when SKY will withdraw the funding and I cannot see many SL clubs surviving that. That said any of them that then want a return to our league would have to do so by entering at the very bottom. I'm not altogether certain that I would want them however, after all they haven't done us any favours have they?

#38 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Good post Scrum half.

If SL did not get sky money how many would be able to keep going on a small income like the championship clubs.

The strenght of Rugby league is not Super League but the Amateur game and the Part Time Professional clubs.

Take Super league away and Rugby League will continue.

Take the championship away and the super league will struggle.

If you dont keep your amateurs strong the game collapses.

All sports are like iceberg's The pinnacle of the sport is above the water whilst its strength that holds it up is below the water.

#39 Karen88

Karen88
  • Coach
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

:wub:
REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

#40 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

I've thought for a long time that we should distance ourselves from SL and form a one division set up like it used to be in days gone by. You could, possibly, create two divisions with P & R, the second of which could be new teams in other parts of the country who want to enter the league. We should get rid of the NR Cup and return to winter rugby, far too many distractions in summer, and bring back the county cups. I would also be in favour of mounting a legal challenge, pardon the pun, to bring the Challenge Cup into our ownership and prevent SL clubs from competing in the competition. You are right that the competition has been devalued. I vividly recall Oldham in the late 1950s, top of the league, best team in the land, but got beat by a lowly Bramley side at home when they were hot favourites not only to win the game but win the cup. That can never happen now the gap is too big.
I am totally against feeder clubs no matter what CH says about not losing our identity. You cannot avoid losing your identity, but on the other hand while other clubs go down this road we are always going to be second fiddle to those clubs who have access to SL hopefuls, cast offs etc or who farm out experienced players recovering from injuries for a week or two. Remember the Barry McDermott fiasco when he was playing for Batley was it? to get match fit again before going back into the Leeds team?
Not sure if that would be the death knell for SL clubs but I do agree that the game is tired and, though lots will disagree with me, boring. RU is far bigger, is nationwide and will continue to attract the big money from SKY and the BBC. I can however foresee a time when SKY will withdraw the funding and I cannot see many SL clubs surviving that. That said any of them that then want a return to our league would have to do so by entering at the very bottom. I'm not altogether certain that I would want them however, after all they haven't done us any favours have they?

Fully agree with you scrum half. Money has, is, will drive sl. Unfortunately (for them) there isn't enough of it about to satisfy their ambitions. Sooner or later they'll need a reality check - we've already had paris, Wales, Bulls and there's plenty more in the wings that are struggling just waiting to follow. We get sod all from them so what have we to lose?
I support Fev and the past 3 years have been brilliant for us, I just hope we don't take the kings shilling and sell out. Success is very transient. Over the years I've seen some bad seasons so you learn to enjoy anything good that comes along and while it lasts.
It's time some of the sl clubs took a backward step and considered the game as a whole. Breaking away from sl and going it alone may be just what they need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users