Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Saints - Oldham agreement

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 manxshorty

manxshorty
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Never thought I would say this, but for me, RU is often a more enjoyable game to watch these days. Just find the SL, 5/6 plays and then a kick and chase is a bit predictable. Let's bring back ripping the ball out in the tackle, proper contested scrums, there would be more turnovers, and a bit more unpredictability and spontaniety to the game

#42 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

if we become a feeder club thats us done as a club...............but at least CH will still be getting paid!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#43 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

Never thought I would say this, but for me, RU is often a more enjoyable game to watch these days. Just find the SL, 5/6 plays and then a kick and chase is a bit predictable. Let's bring back ripping the ball out in the tackle, proper contested scrums, there would be more turnovers, and a bit more unpredictability and spontaniety to the game

I bet when you are watchin a rah rah game you fall asleep at every scrum as they take that blooody long at em ........around 5 mins per scrum the last match i saw ....I watch because of the prospect of seeing some RUGBY ........now and again for a min or two

Edited by Roughyedz, 10 October 2012 - 12:09 AM.

Posted Image

#44 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

rochdale & st helens announce "partnership"

SAINTS look set to go into partnership with Rochdale Hornets and forge closer ties with Whitehaven after the RFL confirmed the scrapping of the under 20s competition.
In a major shake-up of the tiers below Super League, both the under 20s and under 18s competitions have been axed and replaced by a single under 19s competition.

Those players who fall between the 19s and the Super League will have the opportunity for first team rugby by way of the link up with clubs from the Championship.

Posted Image

As a result of strong encouragement from the RFL some partnerships have already been confirmed between Warrington and Swinton, Bradford and Dewsbury and Leeds and Hunslet. Although the situation is still described as “a work in progress”, the Star understands that Saints will join up with Rochdale, under the likely watch of Matt Calland and academy coach Ian Talbot in the Championship One.

Clubs are also allowed to buddy up with a second Championship team, but they must be away from the M62 corridor. Again, the Star understands that Whitehaven have been targeted as the club to fit the bill to accommodate Saints’ older non-first team players in the more intense Championship competition.

OLDHAM RLFC

#45 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Better check out the Hornets forum.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#46 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Better check out the Hornets forum.

Maybe you should have checked the post above yours.

#47 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

you mean the rochdale saints forum?

OLDHAM RLFC

#48 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Seems Rochdale have got a good set up with the saints. Mike Rush seems to be happy with the Hornets set up.

Who should we team up with now.

#49 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

no one

OLDHAM RLFC

#50 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

Totally agree spud. There are plenty of talented youngsters available with the disbanding of the u20's competition. We should be looking to bolster our squad with some of these as well as continuing to run our own reserves.

#51 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

Maybe you should have checked the post above yours.

I did. Re-read the first line "Saints look set to....... I have confirmed it. Specsavers beckons LOL

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#52 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Good luck to Rochdale. just hope they can maintain some independance seeing they are now coached by Ian Talbot Saints reserve coach.

For us I suspect we'll end up with somone like Widnes. I know we have stopped negotiations with one or two clubs who wanted to dictate terms. So hopefully our own young lads will get a fair crack. I've heard Naylor is his own man which is exactly what we need.
One for all and all for the one

#53 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

we should go it alone.......it shows ambition

if we sign up with anyone i'll never follow the club again....and i don't think im the only one

OLDHAM RLFC

#54 Robthegardener.

Robthegardener.
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

we should go it alone.......it shows ambition

if we sign up with anyone i'll never follow the club again....and i don't think im the only one

Spud no worries on that score pal,weve had our own reserves for 3 years lol

Edited by Robthegardener., 12 October 2012 - 07:37 PM.

Posted ImageVelcome to ze forum...You must obay ze rules

#55 Tony Mac

Tony Mac
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

My view is that if we go with a s/league club then we become a feeder and therefore there is no ambition to better ourselves apart from, maybe, CH1. Am more than happy if we go our own way and sign our own players, who will play for the shirt and fight it out. Go for it Mr Naylor!

CH don't become a feeder club!

Tony Mac
Hope for the best, plan for the worst, just don't stop believing

Tony Mac

Nobody believes the official spokesman, but everybody trusts an unidentified source.

#56 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

Have to agree with EVERYONE else on here ...........as there only seems a few left now ...........if Oldham R.L.F.C. become a feeder club ...........thats it ..........finished ....................
Posted Image

#57 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

But how will you feel if you get left in the lurch and fall behind clubs who have linked up with SL clubs. I admire your passion and pride in your club but i worry that a once great club like Oldham could suffer even more from this foolish pride. How would being able to tap into improved training facilities, a larger player base, improved coaching and technical knowledge be a negative?
This type of agreement has been in existance for years, however informally. Leigh in the past have benefitted from the use of Warrington players, and SW Scorpions have likewise done the same with the inclusion of several Wigan players last year.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#58 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

You know I've heard this talk many times before and you all end up falling back in line, if indeed any of you actually drop out of the line.

A good many years ago now I remember you lot coming over to Spotland on cold wet night for a postponed Trains Cup game I think. You sprinted out to a good lead then Hornets gave to mother and father of a thrashing and it was all over your forum that very night. Club's dead, never again, I'm staying away, etc,etc. Then it came out that the club was in trouble with massive debt and before you could shout 'feeding' you were all back on board fighting to keep the club alive.

It's happened since then a good few times and it'll happen a good few times in the future as well. As for the guy who says he'd rather watch kick and clap, well matey you're welcome. It may be the case that at times our game is 5 up the shirt then a kick but at least we get up and down the field, union can have multiple phases and never move from a spot about ten yards sguare!! However, you're welcome to your opinion!

You all want to stay on your own and do it your way, how come this way hasn't worked for the last 10years and what makes you think it'll change next season or the one after that. You've even had a multy millionaire on board and ended up slagging him off when he allegedly kept you going for years with his money.

Breathe in and smell what you're shovelling.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#59 Tony Mac

Tony Mac
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

You know I've heard this talk many times before and you all end up falling back in line, if indeed any of you actually drop out of the line.

A good many years ago now I remember you lot coming over to Spotland on cold wet night for a postponed Trains Cup game I think. You sprinted out to a good lead then Hornets gave to mother and father of a thrashing and it was all over your forum that very night. Club's dead, never again, I'm staying away, etc,etc. Then it came out that the club was in trouble with massive debt and before you could shout 'feeding' you were all back on board fighting to keep the club alive.

It's happened since then a good few times and it'll happen a good few times in the future as well. As for the guy who says he'd rather watch kick and clap, well matey you're welcome. It may be the case that at times our game is 5 up the shirt then a kick but at least we get up and down the field, union can have multiple phases and never move from a spot about ten yards sguare!! However, you're welcome to your opinion!

You all want to stay on your own and do it your way, how come this way hasn't worked for the last 10years and what makes you think it'll change next season or the one after that. You've even had a multy millionaire on board and ended up slagging him off when he allegedly kept you going for years with his money.

Breathe in and smell what you're shovelling

Pugwash.

Hi Pugwash

Thre's not much to argue about with your post. Having said that, who's to say that this is a one size fits all. I know that there have been SL clubs "loaning" players CH & CH1 clubs in the past but I feel that this latest move is going down the route of the Aussies. I don't know whether being part of the feeder clubs or standing alone is the best way I just have a warmer feeling about standing alone. One thing I do know is that the RFL and SL have never done anything before with the lower tier clubs' best interests at heart.

Tony Mac
Hope for the best, plan for the worst, just don't stop believing

Tony Mac

Nobody believes the official spokesman, but everybody trusts an unidentified source.

#60 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:49 AM

A break away won't last 2 minutes. No funding, no big sponsors, no chance.

Feeder helps us now and doesn't have to last forever.

As for finding union more exciting... Please!

(null)
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users