Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bulls get 1-year license on "probationary terms".

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,495 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

If rovers are rejected next time round i fear it could be the begining of the end for us.

no it wont
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#22 Chappies Dummy

Chappies Dummy
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

I hope your right but this will be our best chance for sl and if we dont get it ther'd better be a damn good reason! It would be very disheartening for fans. Sl need to send out a message that clubs arent too big to drop e.g. Bulls and that cc clubs will get a fair crack of whip

#23 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

no it wont

it'll be a different place if they don't let us in Chris if we keep developing as a club, given how many sl clubs are going down the Gary!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#24 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

It does make you wonder what a club has to do to be kicked out of SL. Think SL is too scared of a long legal battle to kick them out.

So much for the franchise system, completely discredited now, the concern is how CC clubs can gain promotion at the expense of a SL club. The RFL were lucky last time that Crusaders pulled out. The problem is that any SL club lawyer could challenge their club being relegated as the franchise system has clearly failed and the evidence provided by clubs about their financial position is unreliable.

#25 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,495 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

There is no franchise system
Keeping it local

#26 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

What people are referring to is a licencing system but are calling it a franchise system - of which is in operation - largely because this is how the RFL originally labelled it.

C'est la vie. Franchise, Licence. May not mean the same thing definitively, but it's the same thing in League terms - it's what [some] folk have got used to using.

#27 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

if i understand it correctly' when the last round of licences were handed out the clubs were told that if they were'nt performing or achieving targets, ie. cas new ground, then they could lose that licence at anytime. wouldn't that in effect make them probationary licences already. how many times do northern have to break probation before they are sent to jail.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,495 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

What people are referring to is a licencing system but are calling it a franchise system - of which is in operation - largely because this is how the RFL originally labelled it.

C'est la vie. Franchise, Licence. May not mean the same thing definitively, but it's the same thing in League terms - it's what [some] folk have got used to using.

the two are completely different, but no matter

Rovers are building an unignorable case for a licence, but that's all it is-although the noises off are very encouraging. There are no guarantees and there shouldn't be. If people are going round with a dead set placeSL in in their heads then they are storing up a world of angst for themselves.
Keeping it local

#29 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

I believe that if we didn't get a licence Chris there will be some considerable angst regardless given the on/off field performances of some of the clubs already holding a licence!
Do you really believe otherwise?

#30 bob_ferris

bob_ferris
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

There are no guarantees and there shouldn't be. If people are going round with a dead set placeSL in in their heads then they are storing up a world of angst for themselves.

there SHOULD be guarantees though. in an ideal world it would be down to on-pitch performances. in the crazy world of RL there should at least be a guarantee that if you tick the most boxes (boxes that don't change every other month), you get "a license".

#31 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,495 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

I believe that if we didn't get a licence Chris there will be some considerable angst regardless given the on/off field performances of some of the clubs already holding a licence!
Do you really believe otherwise?

I think there had better be some good explanations

also 'because the others are so much worse' to paraphrase Abeaham LIncoln, is a poor reason.

If Rovers ghet a license and are admitted to Super League they must be competitive, with everything in place to grow and keep growing as a professional sports organisation and that makes positive contribution to SL I don't care what clubs are doing.

Because clubs are like many other businesses inside and outside sport are having problems with cash: not the same as going down the gary by the way, it doesn't mean they aren't being run with probity, although it doersn't measn they aren't either: the bulls for instance.
Keeping it local

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,495 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

there SHOULD be guarantees though. in an ideal world it would be down to on-pitch performances. in the crazy world of RL there should at least be a guarantee that if you tick the most boxes (boxes that don't change every other month), you get "a license".

ok let's go around with the idea that Rovers are guaranteed a license on the basis of their current performance.
Keeping it local

#33 roosterbooster

roosterbooster
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

I think we are being particularly blinkered just focussing on a 'Superleague licence'.

It is my view that come the next round of licensing, Rovers will be in a position that the RFL CANNOT turn us down. Everything that the club is doing is positive and the plans and steps being put in place tick near enough every box that the RFL throw at us. THIS IS A GOOD THING and making the club stronger both on and off the field.

However, things change very quickly in the world of Rugby League. Goalposts tend to be moved and in my opinion, certain things happen because the people that run the game, want it to run a certain way. I think that there are major changes coming to the leagues structure. Possibly as soon as 12 months time - just in time for the end of the Bulls' probationary period, but certainly by the time the next licences are due.

I believe that the RFL are listening to the calls for promotion and relegation and as has been discussed on here many times, a possible two-tier Superleague seems to be a sensible compromise.

A 10 team top division and 10 team second division - without licensing and promotion and relegation.

I quite fancy our chances in a competitive division with the bottom 4 current Superleague teams and the top 6 current Championship teams.

So please, let us not complain, moan and threaten to throw our teddies out on the off chance that we are not awarded a licence a couple of years in the future when things could change, and most probably will. The club is making great strides forward and we are successful in our own right and getting better and stronger.

Up the Rovers!

#34 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

What would be the point in getting promoted/a licence on your on-field performances if it crippled your club financially ? :blink:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#35 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

What would be the point in getting promoted/a licence on your on-field performances if it crippled your club financially ? :blink:

why are you so insistent that it would.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#36 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,495 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

why are you so insistent that it would.

he isn't
hence the use of the word 'if'
Keeping it local

#37 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

he isn't
hence the use of the word 'if'

i'm sure he can speak for himself, he's not a child.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,495 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

I think we are being particularly blinkered just focussing on a 'Superleague licence'.

It is my view that come the next round of licensing, Rovers will be in a position that the RFL CANNOT turn us down. Everything that the club is doing is positive and the plans and steps being put in place tick near enough every box that the RFL throw at us. THIS IS A GOOD THING and making the club stronger both on and off the field.

However, things change very quickly in the world of Rugby League. Goalposts tend to be moved and in my opinion, certain things happen because the people that run the game, want it to run a certain way. I think that there are major changes coming to the leagues structure. Possibly as soon as 12 months time - just in time for the end of the Bulls' probationary period, but certainly by the time the next licences are due.

I believe that the RFL are listening to the calls for promotion and relegation and as has been discussed on here many times, a possible two-tier Superleague seems to be a sensible compromise.

A 10 team top division and 10 team second division - without licensing and promotion and relegation.

I quite fancy our chances in a competitive division with the bottom 4 current Superleague teams and the top 6 current Championship teams.

So please, let us not complain, moan and threaten to throw our teddies out on the off chance that we are not awarded a licence a couple of years in the future when things could change, and most probably will. The club is making great strides forward and we are successful in our own right and getting better and stronger.

Up the Rovers!

a ten team super league is being talked about a lot-this could happen and would have implications for Rovers. I feel that what will influence this is naturally sharing moneey out.

There are already two SL clubs nearby: one after years of pratting about has finally got its act together, the other hasn't but still has a better support base than Rovers, whether people like it or not that has to be an influeence on events

you make some very interesting points.
Keeping it local

#39 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,495 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

i'm sure he can speak for himself, he's not a child.

I'm sure he can.
I wasn't speaking for him

anybody can respond to a post as far as I'm aware.
Keeping it local

#40 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Nevertheless, he's right.

All I'm saying is that promotion will never again be based just on on-field performances.

And - to be fair - there are standards to be met at all levels. Some local soccer team in Sheffield got relegated this year because their facilities weren't good enough. They won their divisional championship.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"