Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hull KR's Scott Taylor on his way to Wigan?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

According to the Dull Daily Wail. The pies seem happier than Hull FC to pay a transfer fee so they're favourites.

Will post a link later unless anyone else can.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Was rumoured to be a target for Leeds,that's two young props Leeds have now missed out on.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#3 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

Cash plus player by the looks of it.

#4 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,591 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

According to the Dull Daily Wail. The pies seem happier than Hull FC to pay a transfer fee so they're favourites.

Will post a link later unless anyone else can.

Thought Hudgell just refuses to sell him to Hull unless for ridiculous amounts? AP has seemed happy to flash the cash, so can't see having to pay a fee being the reason. Just HOW much.
Posted Image

#5 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Player + cash, Do you know which player?

All sounds a bit like a downward spiral for HKR at the minute unfortunately, good players going and potential combination of Academies with FC.

If they are thinking of relying heavily on their current crop of youngsters for next season this could backfire as those who do well i.e Sheriff, Cox, Salter will be in danger of also being snapped up. KR could become a stepping stone club for these players which I hope never happens but once it happens the sharks begin to circle and its next stop the Championship.

Edited by Fax1978, 17 September 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#6 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,889 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

All sounds a bit like a downward spiral for HKR at the minute unfortunately, good players going and potential combination of Academies with FC.

If they are thinking of relying heavily on their current crop of youngsters for next season this could backfire as those who do well i.e Sheriff, Cox, Salter will be in danger of also being snapped up. KR could become a stepping stone club for these players which I hope never happens but once it happens the sharks begin to circle and its next stop the Championship.

I'm assured it's not the case, but we shall see. You can add Salford and Castleford to the list where it seems to be the case that the richer clubs see these three clubs as fair game for providing them players.

This is nothing new, but IMHO what is new is the extent to which it it being done. It may be because (as has been commented on a bit lately) clubs cannot get access to the calibre of player that used to be available from down under. That could be compounded by the low number of real quality youngsters who come through.

I don't know what HKR have announced yet, they are still in the process of having their bones being picked through, but after losing a string of young/old stars, cas have named a series of replacements whom they portray as "exciting new signings", who will be the backbone of the new Cas.

You can't blame them for saying this but as you say the reality may be that if any of these new players actually find some excellent form, then the big clubs will come knocking for them too. The effect of that can only be that down the line we may see some clubs become unable to compete at all and cas have got perilously close, then we may see more fans of both cubs in a lopsided fixture not bothering to turn up.

I thought clubs were supposed to develop their own players, but Hull turn to Holdsworth and Chase and Wigan of all people turn to Green and Smith. To me it's superleague self destructing. The only logical conclusion I can see in this apparent madness is the SLE clubs may know something we don't yet know for sure and yes the Championship may have a few new members in 2015.

#7 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Chris Tuson seems to be the one mentioned most but he denied that he was coming when he was rumoured to be invovled in the Blake Green deal. I do know we've taken a shine to Matty Russell though. We're after 4 players and he is one of them.

#8 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Fielden maybe?.. or is he out of contract anyway?..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#9 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Is Scott any good?
Both this and the Blake Green deal could work well for both sides. Sandercock is happy with Burns, and they got some cash which Wigan can afford. If HKR were to sign, say Matty Russell, and get Spencer/Crosby/Burke/someone of that ilk on a long term loan deal, then they may well be at least level on the deal. A challenge facing Wigan is how to keep a large group of SL standard players developing.

#10 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

Parksider - Top teams have always dominated leagues whichever they maybe in whichever sport the only real exceptions are the NRL, due to their excellent depth of quality player pool available and in the pipeline and Gridiron due to the drafting and centralised control approach.

The most worrying aspect of current goings on are the other issues looming up in the background namely the Academy changes, which will devalue anything that 'lower' placed SL clubs and higher placed Championship clubs work towards from a player development perspective. Couple this with the apparent lack of funding for many of these clubs or simply the realisation from the owners that 'this cash cow is no longer for milking', against the back drop of the recent and current financial crisis and I would agree that maybe some of these clubs including HKR, Cas and Bulls could find themselves at the bottom end of a two tiers of 10 system.

Who knows, but on this issue Taylor will be a big loss for HKR from a long term perspective.

Edited by Fax1978, 17 September 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#11 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

Is Scott any good?
Both this and the Blake Green deal could work well for both sides. Sandercock is happy with Burns, and they got some cash which Wigan can afford. If HKR were to sign, say Matty Russell, and get Spencer/Crosby/Burke/someone of that ilk on a long term loan deal, then they may well be at least level on the deal. A challenge facing Wigan is how to keep a large group of SL standard players developing.

He's very good. I've watched him for a few years in the reserves and you just knew the kid would break in. Now he's an international and attracting interest from the 'big clubs', so he's doing something right.

We've done a great bit of business with Blake Green and we've also replaced him with a better player too. Although I'm sad to see Blake leave I'm happy with that. The league is littered with ex-Wigan players. Your junior development programme is that good that you simply do not have enough room to cater for them all and some that you've let go have had very good careers at other clubs.

#12 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,889 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

Parksider - Top teams have always dominated leagues whichever they maybe in whichever sport the only real exceptions are the NRL, due to their excellent depth of quality player pool available and in the pipeline and Gridiron due to the drafting and centralised control approach.

The most worrying aspect of current goings on are the other issues looming up in the background namely the Academy changes, which will devalue anything that 'lower' placed SL clubs and higher placed Championship clubs work towards from a player development perspective. Couple this with the apparent lack of funding for many of these clubs or simply the realisation from the owners that 'this cash cow is no longer for milking', against the back drop of the recent and current financial crisis and I would agree that maybe some of these clubs including HKR, Cas and Bulls could find themselves at the bottom end of a two tiers of 10 system.

Who knows, but on this issue Taylor will be a big loss for HKR from a long term perspective.

Thanks for your views...

#13 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,591 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

I'm assured it's not the case, but we shall see. You can add Salford and Castleford to the list where it seems to be the case that the richer clubs see these three clubs as fair game for providing them players.

This is nothing new, but IMHO what is new is the extent to which it it being done. It may be because (as has been commented on a bit lately) clubs cannot get access to the calibre of player that used to be available from down under. That could be compounded by the low number of real quality youngsters who come through.

I don't know what HKR have announced yet, they are still in the process of having their bones being picked through, but after losing a string of young/old stars, cas have named a series of replacements whom they portray as "exciting new signings", who will be the backbone of the new Cas.

You can't blame them for saying this but as you say the reality may be that if any of these new players actually find some excellent form, then the big clubs will come knocking for them too. The effect of that can only be that down the line we may see some clubs become unable to compete at all and cas have got perilously close, then we may see more fans of both cubs in a lopsided fixture not bothering to turn up.

Can't really disagree with much here. It's just what happens in sport. Clubs that are lacking in investment get stuck in this loop. They need more income, they don't have the money to invest in the club to generate this income, do they can't get out of the loop. If these clubs can't find the investment, there's little they can do. Clubs like Cas, Salford and Rovers have done considerably well to get to where they are, but they need to find a way to push on to the next level. Wakey had the same issue, they got a new investor and look at them now. If they get the ground sorted, they have the potential to break into that top end.

Are the investors out there? We shall see. These are the reasons why people say that the league isn't "super" as you have this situation where we have some already self-sustaining clubs with the investment to push on, some clubs that have the investment but the systems aren't in place yet, and then a few that cannot hit the next level.

I thought clubs were supposed to develop their own players, but Hull turn to Holdsworth and Chase and Wigan of all people turn to Green and Smith. To me it's superleague self destructing. The only logical conclusion I can see in this apparent madness is the SLE clubs may know something we don't yet know for sure and yes the Championship may have a few new members in 2015.

Clubs don't just have a stock of potential quality replacements in the youth ranks, and it's never going to be that way. There will be some that are ready in certain positions, some that aren't quite there, and some that just won't ever make it. Clubs have and will always find themselves weak in certain areas at certain points, and that applies in every sport and every league. Players will be found to fill the void and they've got to come from somewhere, most likely those clubs that are struggling to hit that next level as those players will want to test themselves, not wait around for the club to sort itself out. It's just how sport works, it's not SL "self destructing" or "madness", that's just hyperbole.

But if these lower clubs can't get out of the loop, if they can't find new investment, then they will be (and should be) replaced by clubs that can and will do. That's how the league will get stronger. Finding the right clubs that can find the right investment to push them on and keep it.
Posted Image

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,889 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Can't really disagree with much here. It's just what happens in sport. Clubs that are lacking in investment get stuck in this loop. They need more income, they don't have the money to invest in the club to generate this income, do they can't get out of the loop. If these clubs can't find the investment, there's little they can do. Clubs like Cas, Salford and Rovers have done considerably well to get to where they are, but they need to find a way to push on to the next level. Wakey had the same issue, they got a new investor and look at them now. If they get the ground sorted, they have the potential to break into that top end.

Are the investors out there? We shall see. These are the reasons why people say that the league isn't "super" as you have this situation where we have some already self-sustaining clubs with the investment to push on, some clubs that have the investment but the systems aren't in place yet, and then a few that cannot hit the next level.

Clubs don't just have a stock of potential quality replacements in the youth ranks, and it's never going to be that way. There will be some that are ready in certain positions, some that aren't quite there, and some that just won't ever make it. Clubs have and will always find themselves weak in certain areas at certain points, and that applies in every sport and every league. Players will be found to fill the void and they've got to come from somewhere, most likely those clubs that are struggling to hit that next level as those players will want to test themselves, not wait around for the club to sort itself out. It's just how sport works, it's not SL "self destructing" or "madness", that's just hyperbole.

But if these lower clubs can't get out of the loop, if they can't find new investment, then they will be (and should be) replaced by clubs that can and will do. That's how the league will get stronger. Finding the right clubs that can find the right investment to push them on and keep it.

I'm with you on all that, but there is an element of self destruct for me. maybe it's not that big but I feel there is a principle.

Hudgell states in LE today that what drives SLE's decisions is pure self interest and accuses the rich clubs of "voting to keep the rest relatively poor so they can be picked off", and all I see is Rovers, Cas and Salford being picked off accordingly. He states "We have too many teams and too little talent" so it's tempting and easy and as you indicate maybe neccessary for the big clubs to just pick who they want from the "little" SL clubs.

There is of course at the Mo (sic) no great effect of these actions but KT senses the Cas fans are getting fed up, The 10,000 Salford fans at the closure of the Willows saw no brand new dawn (until now) and mostly did not turn up to the new stadium, and we wait to see how the Rovers fans will react if they also sense the "downward spiral" Fax machine talks of.

I don't do the figures closely enough and there's too many variables but the big clubs crowds may suffer if the opposition are easybeats. When I get some time I may have a trawl through. Especially to see if the attendances for such as Leeds.v.Cas which was a big game at one time, has tailed off as the result gets less in doubt.

But the accusation of Hudge is that the big club owners make decisions on their owners "personal whims" and with "deep pockets" some may prefer to watch their teams slaughter on the pitch the very clubs they have "picked off" off it. In short he doesn't see that the big clubs have a care for the overall health of the league. I am however not too sure, and noticeably he leaves Gary Hetherington out of that.

Your right "self destruct" won't actually happen because at some point the policy or circumstances will change in other ways. Salford supposedly have the investor you speak of, and Hudgell suggests that Superleague has so far "missed the opportunity in taking a first step in a natural cull to twelve clubs" so the option is there for those who allow their weaknesses to be exploited to simply be asked to leave. However Rovers and Tigers seem currently set to be the two without the investment.

But who knows, Mr. Allam may rescue Rovers, Mr. Pearson may welcome that for his own purposes, time yet and maybe 2015 will see nothing radical except Fev maybe replacing Cas......

#15 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Taylor's agent has got him stoked up to leave, he has been hawking him around to everyone Leeds were the first but didn't want to pay a fee then FC now Wigan.
Taylor is a good player with a lot of potential, the envirnoment at Wigan will hopefully see him thrive. What we need to do is create the envirnoment that the likes of Wigan have, when that is in place we will be fine.

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Taylor's agent has got him stoked up to leave, he has been hawking him around to everyone Leeds were the first but didn't want to pay a fee then FC now Wigan.
Taylor is a good player with a lot of potential, the envirnoment at Wigan will hopefully see him thrive. What we need to do is create the envirnoment that the likes of Wigan have, when that is in place we will be fine.

This must have been going on for a while, Taylor to Leeds was doing the rounds almost at the start of the season.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#17 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

who is gong to be kr's props next season then??

#18 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#19 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

Those were the days lol

#20 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Same as this year plus Beaumont back from injury as well as Tuimavavevaivasvavavva (check spelling ;) ) minus Taylor and Clinton, also Cox missed a good part of the season and Green is looking good with many people tipping him as the better prospect than Taylor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users