Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Under 23s in 2013

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

What's happening?

As far as SL is concerned (insert your own comments about that's all the RFL are bothered about) the following changes have been mooted:

U15 and U16 combine into one U16 team

U18 becomes U19.

U20 is scrapped, and the over 19s/reserves who are not in the first team squad are loaned out to the nominated feeder club ( Leeds to Hunslet, Warrington to Swinton, etc).

Aparat from the massive ramifications of having feeder clubs at Championship level (all wrong I know, but another thread please!),, where does that leave Fev?

Scholarships and U19s will be ok, if we are still allowed to play outside with the big boys on a school night.

What about the U23s? Scrap it? Same as 2012? Make Fev Lions our nominated feeder club?

A Fev Blog

#2 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

What's happening?

As far as SL is concerned (insert your own comments about that's all the RFL are bothered about) the following changes have been mooted:

U18 becomes U19.

U20 is scrapped, and the over 19s/reserves who are not in the first team squad are loaned out to the nominated feeder club ( Leeds to Hunslet, Warrington to Swinton, etc).

Aparat from the massive ramifications of having feeder clubs at Championship level (all wrong I know, but another thread please!),, where does that leave Fev?

Scholarships and U19s will be ok, if we are still allowed to play outside with the big boys on a school night.

What about the U23s? Scrap it? Same as 2012? Make Fev Lions our nominated feeder club?

Mark, i asked Craig Poskitt at the Leigh game last week if we would be running an u19s and u23s next season, and he said the rfl had not yet decided on the format for next season, but we may get to know next month. organised or what?
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#3 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

It's a shambles Mark. The RL are playing it by ear and getting it wrong. DP was very critical of their approach at the fans forum. He believes that what they are putting in place is wrong and won't last.
"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

#4 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

Too many players will be lost to the game.

What a sorry state of affairs.

I don't have the figures to hand, but 16 - 19 year olds is the worst time for losing people to the game, we need to be encouraging people and this isn't being positive in my opinion.

I personally believe it should be; 15, 16, 18, 21 the age groups. Would allow player progression from 15 > First Team.

Next up a masters team.....
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#5 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

If what is believed is true then yet again we have the SL making everyone dance to their tune and all because the greedy sods won't pay for their reserves. They're all pleading poverty. The only poverty in SL is their sense and reason.

The RFL? they're one and the same.

Sorry! I know I shouldn't be negative. I'll be getting called some nasty names by those who think everything in the garden is great; we've never had it so good; it was so bad in the 60's / 70's / 80's don't you know. We really should be very grateful for the scraps we get from our masters in SL cos they know best.

Oh how I'd love to see the Championship clubs waving two fingers to them and setting up on their own.
(there I go again; just another reactionary bigot).

#6 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

What's happening?

U18 becomes U19.

also discussed last night was the tie in between s/l clubs and championship clubs. giving york and hull as an example, it was stated that york could have say, 6 players on dual reg from hull. that gives them 6 s/l quality players that don't count on their salary cap, leaving them the full cap to spend on fewer players, allowing them to offer bigger contracts to attract better players. the integrity of the championship will be shot to pieces.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#7 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,950 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

The NCL have yet to vote on whether to allow fringe Championship players in or not. A yes vote would see the Championship U23 certainly fold (as opposed to most probably) but would allow a Fev Lions link up (much needed by them by the looks of things)

#8 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

the way this game is being run is like a chinese water torture.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#9 rovergeoff

rovergeoff
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

STRENGTH IN DEPTH

I strongly believe that every member of Div 1, Div 2 and Div 3 should have a first team, a second team (open age) and a junior team (say, under 21). If clubs cannot raise these teams then they should leave professional RL.

As to the Bradford Northern farce, they should have been put in Div 3 or kicked out. Bradford are a disgrace to RL - and they seem to have no intention of running a reserve team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users