TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Lens fc test match confirmed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#1 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

http://www.ffr13.fr/...nt/article/3652

confirmed let's hope Lens football fans, attend other wise it will get embrassing attendance wise.

#2 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

what a joke !

an insult to French RL fans :(

#3 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

what a joke !

an insult to French RL fans :(

Why? Don't understand this negativity, the FFR13 are completely within their rights to promote and play the game outside of the south of France äne explore new markets. As long as all costs are covered. I think it'll be a good means of pushing the sport forward on the back of the Bein Sports TV deal and the impending/potential pro league, a good way to test the water and create a new market.
Rugby League in France is quite limited to a small market so it'll be good for them to spread their wings.

#4 TheMancunianCandidate

TheMancunianCandidate
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

Isn't this the equivalent of England rugby league team playing a test match in Peterborough?

#5 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

Isn't this the equivalent of England rugby league team playing a test match in Peterborough?

Which would, of course, be brilliant.

It is the home of the round ball game.
People called Romans they go the house

#6 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

Lyon or bordeux would have made more sense.

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Anywhere would have made more sense than wherever the match would have been, wherever that was.

Edited by JohnM, 21 September 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#8 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

no, more like Penzance ! France is a flippin' big country mate!

#9 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Will players taking part in this game get a Lens cap?

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#10 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Why? Don't understand this negativity, the FFR13 are completely within their rights to promote and play the game outside of the south of France äne explore new markets. As long as all costs are covered. I think it'll be a good means of pushing the sport forward on the back of the Bein Sports TV deal and the impending/potential pro league, a good way to test the water and create a new market.
Rugby League in France is quite limited to a small market so it'll be good for them to spread their wings.

the french public have one chance to watch their international RL team this calendar year - just once !!! so why in heavens name couldn't it hace been somewhere easily accessible to the fans and not som northern outpost on the whim of an outgoing FFR president hell bent on doing his old mate in Lens a favour - is there no consideration for the loyal fans ?

it's like playing the England v Wales game in Dover or Truro - an absolute disgrace !

the RL area in France is roughly a line from Bordeaux to Lyon which is about one third of the country which relates to an area about twice the size of England ! - this suggests to me the FFR has more than enough territory to 'spread their wings' !

#11 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

I'm not that concerned about Lens.

What really does concern me is the fact that the RFL, which owns a stadium in the middle of the M62 corridor with a capacity of circa 20k, has decided to not use it for the autumn internationals and has instead gone for Craven Park (England v France) and Salford for the final, which have a combined capacity of just over 20k I believe.

Now I know that England v France never gets a brilliant crowd in but surely holding it at Craven Park (no disrespect to HKR) shows a serious lack of ambition on the part of the RFL. They got good crowds last Autumn for the England matches, the Exiles at Saints got over 11k crowd and they're doing all this work in Manchester with the extraordinary rugby, why not play it that way, and then have the final at Odsal which is pretty much central for most RL fans?

Any surprise players like Eastmond and Tomkins switch to RU with the prospect of playing for their country in front of 80,000 plus when sticking with RL they could be turning out in front of a tenth of that figure.

#12 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Now I know that England v France never gets a brilliant crowd in but surely holding it at Craven Park (no disrespect to HKR) shows a serious lack of ambition on the part of the RFL. They got good crowds last Autumn for the England matches, the Exiles at Saints got over 11k crowd and they're doing all this work in Manchester with the extraordinary rugby, why not play it that way, and then have the final at Odsal which is pretty much central for most RL fans?

Thanks for that, was wondering where those games were.

I'm pretty happy to see England games move around a bit. Might have waited for the new stand at Craven Park, I suppose.

Odsal might be on the large side for these games.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#13 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,861 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

Craven loving Park?!

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#14 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for that, was wondering where those games were.

I'm pretty happy to see England games move around a bit. Might have waited for the new stand at Craven Park, I suppose.

Odsal might be on the large side for these games.

If you work on the basis that England will make the final, the RFL own Odsal. Surely they could put the match on for a not exorbitant cost and get a decent crowd, on the back of sensible ticket pricing and marketing. Bradford is bang in the middle of RL territory, not a ridiculous drive either if you live in Hull or Warrington.

Can someone explain the point of the RFL owning Odsal if they don't then use it for internationals like this?

#15 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

Can someone explain the point of the RFL owning Odsal if they don't then use it for internationals like this?

They didn't take on the lease to develop a national stadium. Good thing too- national teams should play round the country.

#16 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

It's at Craven Park?! Really?! When was that announced?

In fact, when was any of it announced? I have no idea what's happening after the GF. I'm a keen RL follower, how are the passive fans meant to know if the keen followers don't?!
Posted Image

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

Everything is a disaster.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

If you work on the basis that England will make the final, the RFL own Odsal. Surely they could put the match on for a not exorbitant cost and get a decent crowd, on the back of sensible ticket pricing and marketing. Bradford is bang in the middle of RL territory, not a ridiculous drive either if you live in Hull or Warrington.

Because it has no cover for 3/4 of the stadium?
Also I would guess that Odsal has limited corporate packages.

Tbh Odsal would be better for a summer international v Aus

#19 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

Because it has no cover for 3/4 of the stadium?
Also I would guess that Odsal has limited corporate packages.

Loads of boxes in the Coral Stand (still called that?) to the right of the cameras

#20 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Loads of boxes in the Coral Stand (still called that?) to the right of the cameras

Still the cover issue, plus the fact that it is too big for a game v France.

Get a roof on and it would be absolutely worth considering for a full house game v Aus. Imagine the atmos from a standing crowd under cover for such a game....