Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Lens fc test match confirmed

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:18 AM

Looking forward to it. Be good though if the French would put a coach in place. You'd have thought with the world cup next year it might be quite important.

Larrat standing down has put the FFR in limbo until a new boss is elected (hopefully Carlos) and so has put the kybosh on the selection of a coach though Aurelian Cologni with all his experience is a great short-term appointment in my opinion - he knows the french set up inside out and is widely respected (and is a cheaper choice !) - the squad members i've spoken with speak highly of him

#62 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:16 AM

Isnt the whole point of the Lens match to attract new fans rather than worry about shipping up a few thousand fartland fans from the Aude villages?

#63 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

so sky will be asked to finance a 2nd french club, where they have no sky tv, jeez that seems fair.

#64 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,295 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

A few thousand:) i only wish make that a few dozen.In my estimation the total number of french RL fans numbers around 12000 max which is pretty much what used to turn up for the lord derby cup finals day (This used to be the last match of the season) where they would also hold many of the junior finals so mums and dads came etc.I would estimate (Outside of the dragons) you are looking at.Limoux 800Lezignan 1000Carcassonne 1500Villneneurve 600Pia 300St Esteve 400Avignon 600Toulouse 800Lescure 500Thats 6500 + floaters and smaller clubsCM

That might be the case but the 800 Limoux fans who turn up one week aren't necessarily the same people who turned up the previous week. Most people won't go to every home game in a season.

#65 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

That might be the case but the 800 Limoux fans who turn up one week aren't necessarily the same people who turned up the previous week. Most people won't go to every home game in a season.

in places like Limoux the same people will turn out

#66 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

so sky will be asked to finance a 2nd french club, where they have no sky tv, jeez that seems fair.

just like the Catalans deal - SKY will have to broadcast two live games from Toulouse over the season - the other games will most probably be covered and streamed by BIEN Sports unless another broadcaster like Orange steps in

#67 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 826 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

A few thousand:) i only wish make that a few dozen.In my estimation the total number of french RL fans numbers around 12000 max which is pretty much what used to turn up for the lord derby cup finals day (This used to be the last match of the season) where they would also hold many of the junior finals so mums and dads came etc.I would estimate (Outside of the dragons) you are looking at.Limoux 800Lezignan 1000Carcassonne 1500Villneneurve 600Pia 300St Esteve 400Avignon 600Toulouse 800Lescure 500Thats 6500 + floaters and smaller clubsCM

And the 17,000 who turned up at Avignon to watch france v England last year; do they count?

#68 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

Ok fair enough, where does toulouse stand for superleague ?

just to update the answer to your question - Toulouse announced yesterday that Blake Solly from the RFL (franchising dept) will be visiting Toulouse to look at the proposed stadium redevelopment plans with the club and city council officials - the original plans presented by the club have been scaled down a bit to suit both club & council requirements (ie.not so extravagant) to make sure these plans will help meet the criteria set out by the RFL for SL inclusion in 2015 - if the RFL are satisfied with the proposals then redevelopment work will start in the new year

#69 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Carcassonne play on the 4th of November, not sure why, pia play today at 17h at st Laurent versus Villeneuve ,

#70 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

6-7 Years ago around 1,000 people watched RL in Perpignan every week. Now the dragons get 8-9,000 locals watching. According to your logic, 8,000 of these are bogus RL fans. If Toulouse had a SL club in the top 4 they would be getting 6-8,000 every week. That would make 15k plus watching clubs in 2 towns alone.

No-one knows how many RL fans are in France because the structure isn't in place to get them down to watch. If France were in a w/c final played in Toulouse then you would be getting 35k plus in the main stadium. But, of course, half of these would have turned up by mistake.

Warrington are taking 25,000 to the GF today yet only 10,000 turn up at Warrington every week. Your logic for this is stupid. I was at a LD cup final a few years ago and there were around 4-5,000 fans in club colours cheering for Villeneurve - yet you say they have only got 1500 people in France who follow RL from that town.

Edited by Scubby, 06 October 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#71 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Read my post its says quite clearly that i have NOT counted the dragons in these figures,and no-one would turn up by mistake if the french sniff a win they will turn up.CM

Yes but if you had applied this theory a few years ago when XIII Catalan were in Elite one you would have said only 1000 people in Perpignan followed RL. Your logic is flawed. So these people who would turn up to watch a France win aren't potential RL fans?

#72 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

OK lets start here as for only 1000 people in Perpignan following RL that is untrue,maybe only 1000 turned up however the city had a rich RL history many just could not be bothered as the standard in the championship was not very high along with the fact that USAP had become a very big rugby union club.In saying that though i remember crowds of 5000 + for local derbies between Pia and St Esteve/X111 Catalan back 2004/5.The difference is that those watching France in Avignon are NOT paying and if they were asked to pay even lsts say Euros 10.00 i am certain that the crowd would be around 70% less.In Perpignan everyone has to pay and to be fair to the dragons they pay a realistic price for tickets which is more than one can say for many SL clubs back in good old blighty:(

You are just contradicting yourself. Because you mention that 1000s and 1000s of fans across France have been brought up with rich RL history. These are still RL fans FFS! The problem at the moment is that they are used to the national side being rubbish and being offered free tickets etc.

There is the potential for tens of thousands of fans to be paying to watch RL every week if it was developed. If Toulouse were a top half RL team they would be getting 6-8,000 'paying' fans every week. If France were regularly competing with Eng and NZ then you would have 10-15,000 'paying' fans for test matches.

Edited by Scubby, 06 October 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#73 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

6-7 Years ago around 1,000 people watched RL in Perpignan every week. Now the dragons get 8-9,000 locals watching. According to your logic, 8,000 of these are bogus RL fans. If Toulouse had a SL club in the top 4 they would be getting 6-8,000 every week. That would make 15k plus watching clubs in 2 towns alone.

No-one knows how many RL fans are in France because the structure isn't in place to get them down to watch. If France were in a w/c final played in Toulouse then you would be getting 35k plus in the main stadium. But, of course, half of these would have turned up by mistake.

Warrington are taking 25,000 to the GF today yet only 10,000 turn up at Warrington every week. Your logic for this is stupid. I was at a LD cup final a few years ago and there were around 4-5,000 fans in club colours cheering for Villeneurve - yet you say they have only got 1500 people in France who follow RL from that town.

the majority of the '8000' you quote aren't 'locals' they come far and wide to watch top RL, simple as that - I travel 6 hours to get to Perpignan for example

Toulouse boss Carlos reckons he will get between 6K - 10K at the start of SL in the Toulouse area with the fans coming from a big catchment area geographically just because they are RL ans wishing to see the best teams playing - a semi-successful side will maintain this level of support

#74 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

I HAVE NEVER MENTIONED THE WORD POTENTIAL,i am certain that there is potential for thousands to follow RL in Norway the reality is the current HARD CORE french rugby league following (Outside of the dragons) is around 12000 maximum.As for Warrington Wolves taking 25000 to MU well done however the reality is (as in most sports) 50% of those fans are there for the crack on the day if they were 100% rugby league fans they would buy a season ticket and turn up at WW for every match.Get real:)CM

"In my estimation the total number of french RL fans numbers around 12000 max"
HTH

There was some research done by a lower league football club a few years ago. They worked out that even though their average home attendance was 4,000 over 20 league games, up to 9,000 individual home fans had gone through the gates over the year. Some had gone for 1 game, some 4-5, some went to nearly every game but less than half had been to every game. Which fans are fans and which fans are not? Which fans are hard core and which fans are there for the crack? IMO RL fans are RL fans. I can only get to 2-3 games a year as I live out of the country - suppose I just go for the crack then?

Your logic of adding up attendances of local french clubs and saying that is how many RL fans there are in France is flawed.

#75 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

the majority of the '8000' you quote aren't 'locals' they come far and wide to watch top RL, simple as that - I travel 6 hours to get to Perpignan for example

Toulouse boss Carlos reckons he will get between 6K - 10K at the start of SL in the Toulouse area with the fans coming from a big catchment area geographically just because they are RU and wishing to see the best teams playing - a semi-successful side will maintain this level of support

Exactly what I am saying. If the FFR13 actually poured some money into the French national team and got a proper coach and structures in place then fans would come from all over to watch them - and pay! France actually has the chance to follow the RUnion model and make the national team the pinnacle of the sport in the country. Tens of thousands of sports fans would potentially go and watch their national or a SL side play and compete against the top clubs/countries without having an interest in the domestic game.

Edited by Scubby, 06 October 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#76 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Exactly what I am saying. If the FFR13 actually poured some money into the French national team and got a proper coach and structures in place then fans would come from all over to watch them - and pay! France actually has the chance to follow the RUnion model and make the national team the pinnacle of the sport in the country. Tens of thousands of sports fans would potentially go and watch their national side play and compete against the top countries without having an interest in the domestic game.

agreed, the french will turn out but they don't expect to have to travel 10 hours in a car to watch their national team !

the FFR is in a transition period with a new president coming in soon - the FFR is a pretty innefectual body at best (and we criticise the RFL !) but the national coaching position has become a joke - taking nowt away from Cologni who is a 'proper coach'
by the way and a good appointment in my humble opinion tho' I would have someone like Jerôme Guisset or Steve Deakin as assistant with their direct contact with the Catalans.

but just having one home international per year is disgraceful !

we, the fans deserve better

#77 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

France have two home games in the 2013 World Cup, one at Avignon and one at Perpignan. Do you think they will get good attendances for those games?. In the last WC in the Northern hemishphere, the French attendances were a rare bright spot.

#78 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

France have two home games in the 2013 World Cup, one at Avignon and one at Perpignan. Do you think they will get good attendances for those games?. In the last WC in the Northern hemishphere, the French attendances were a rare bright spot.

yeah, Avignon & the GB are great venues for internationals - Stade Toulousain and Albi were also great stadia for past RL internationals - the Albert Domec at Carcassonne will be good when the ground redevelopments are completed but LENS ?

deary me........

#79 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Depends on the price of the ticketsIn the 2000 WC (I went to every game in France) all the crowds quoted were genuine apart from Paris which was around 1800 (Tas just made the figure up and i was standing next to him when he did it:)))))CM

I was also at the game at Paris in 2000 (double-header) and there were around 3,500-4,000 there at least. Maybe not the 7k that was quoted but to say it was 1800 is not like you CM :lol:

#80 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

What's with the trolls and all the doomsday merchants in this thread, for gods sake, wake up or watch another sport you idiots :rolleyes:

If the game is played in France, the FFR13 can play it where they bloodywell like and if it's too far away from where a certain 2 here live, stiff shiit.

Edited by ParraEelsNRL, 07 October 2012 - 01:57 AM.