YOUR TEN FAVOURITE BASS GUITARISTS living or dead

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Metallica lost "something" when Cliff died- a bit of weirdness that they never got back. A great band without a doubt, but never the same for me, either live or on record.

Absolutely, still a great band without him but you can't help but wonder just how good they could have been had Cliff not been killed. His influences seemed to be a lot more eclectic than the rest of the band and he brought a real artistry to the music. He does stuff on those first three albums the like of which I've never heard from another rock bassist.

I think I'm going to have to listen Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets now, with a bit of Kill Em All thrown in for good measure.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#42 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Absolutely, still a great band without him but you can't help but wonder just how good they could have been had Cliff not been killed. His influences seemed to be a lot more eclectic than the rest of the band and he brought a real artistry to the music. He does stuff on those first three albums the like of which I've never heard from another rock bassist.

I think I'm going to have to listen Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets now, with a bit of Kill Em All thrown in for good measure.

Agree 100% mate.
I dug out those 3 albums recently and played them....on vinyl!

I have a Metallica bootleg somewhere and it is from before Cliff was even in the band. It was a guy called Ron McGubney (? Spelling) and Dave Mustaine was playing. 4 Horsemen was still called 'Mechanix'

Edited by Johnoco, 06 October 2012 - 02:17 PM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#43 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Agree 100% mate.
I dug out those 3 albums recently and played them....on vinyl!

I have a Metallica bootleg somewhere and it is from before Cliff was even in the band. It was a guy called Ron McGubney (? Spelling) and Dave Mustaine was playing. 4 Horsemen was still called 'Mechanix'

Is that the 'No Life Till Leather' bootleg? I think his surname is McGovney. I've got a feeling Garage Inc. was so named as a tribute to Ron's garage where they used to get together and play.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#44 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Is that the 'No Life Till Leather' bootleg? I think his surname is McGovney. I've got a feeling Garage Inc. was so named as a tribute to Ron's garage where they used to get together and play.

No its not that but I have that somewhere. Its a live tape from 1982.

#45 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Metallica lost "something" when Cliff died- a bit of weirdness that they never got back. A great band without a doubt, but never the same for me, either live or on record.

As a fairly infrequent visitor to this board, I've not heard that story.....do tell.......

All it was really was that I got backstage on the MOP tour in 1986 via some mates who were on the tour. We were milling about and after a few minutes bizzarely I decided to go to the bog. During this time they told everyone to leave and my mate (who I had got in) took the opportunity to have a few photos with the band, including a beauty with Cliff (which he still gloats about). I could have kicked myself for being so daft. About a week later he was dead

#46 Bones

Bones
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

All it was really was that I got backstage on the MOP tour in 1986 via some mates who were on the tour. We were milling about and after a few minutes bizzarely I decided to go to the bog. During this time they told everyone to leave and my mate (who I had got in) took the opportunity to have a few photos with the band, including a beauty with Cliff (which he still gloats about). I could have kicked myself for being so daft. About a week later he was dead

"Puppets" is flawless- the only album I've ever heard without a single duff second. Even Kirks usual "awkward" phrasing is absent.

That tour was the first time I ever saw them- Anthrax as support and James with a broken wrist. John Marshall (a roadie, later to join Metal Church) filled in stage right and played the rhythm parts. They were still incredible and all for £4.50!

Edited by Bones, 08 October 2012 - 02:45 PM.

Ramshackle punk rock covers for all the family..............www.facebook.com/kerpunkuk

#47 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

No its not that but I have that somewhere. Its a live tape from 1982.

Sounds like the same one that I have, if it is then it is called Power Metal

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#48 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Sounds like the same one that I have, if it is then it is called Power Metal

Could be that. I got it from a tape trader and it hasn't really got a title on it.

#49 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

In regards to the Cliff Burton discussion; Jason Newsted doesn't seem to get alot of credit. Individually Burton is way better. As a cog to a band offering drive, vibe and great bass plying within a song it's Newsted's for mine..

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#50 Bones

Bones
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

In regards to the Cliff Burton discussion; Jason Newsted doesn't seem to get alot of credit. Individually Burton is way better. As a cog to a band offering drive, vibe and great bass plying within a song it's Newsted's for mine..

You've made a good point there and with many bands I'd agree, but Hetfields guitar is what drives their sound- so much so that Jason is hardly audible on much of the stuff recorded while he was with them, especially "and Justice for All" and it still sounds powerful.

Incidentally, how much better would "Justice" and St Anger" be had they been better produced? The drums on both are dreadful- "St Anger" sounding like he's hitting a beer tray.
Ramshackle punk rock covers for all the family..............www.facebook.com/kerpunkuk

#51 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Not familiar with all of Metallica's albums, but Newsted's bass guitar is totally buried in the mix on 'Justice'. The band have also copped a whole lot of flak for the final mix of 'Death Magnetic'.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#52 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Incidentally, how much better would "Justice" and St Anger" be had they been better produced? The drums on both are dreadful- "St Anger" sounding like he's hitting a beer tray.

Totally agree, it spoilt what could have been a brilliant album.

#53 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

You've made a good point there and with many bands I'd agree, but Hetfields guitar is what drives their sound- so much so that Jason is hardly audible on much of the stuff recorded while he was with them, especially "and Justice for All" and it still sounds powerful.

I have their last two albums but haven't listened to them much. I feel St Anger was better mixed than their last album though. I know what you are saying about Justice . It seems weird that the mix is awful at times yet for "One" the drumming is clear as a bell.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#54 Bones

Bones
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

I have their last two albums but haven't listened to them much. I feel St Anger was better mixed than their last album though. I know what you are saying about Justice . It seems weird that the mix is awful at times yet for "One" the drumming is clear as a bell.

I've not noticed that- will have a listen later. "One" was the single and released ahead of the album. I wonder if that had something to do with it?

St Anger seems to divide opinion amongst Metallica fans- I've only listened to it about five times. The second time was via my mates stereo because I couldn't believe how bad it sounded on mine. Some of the songs on there are brilliant though, although they rarely play them live. Weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users