League Express Digital-Only Easter Edition Out Now!

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Please can/may I borrow your book!

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,199 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

"Can I"... borrow your book asks the question, " do you think I have the ability to perform the act of borrowing your book, whereas "may I " asks your permission.

and generally, its is BECAUSE OF or OWING TO not DUE TO

(Mr Greene, English teacher 1960 Salford Technical High School, Leaf Square, if you are up there reading this - See, I WAS listening!)

#42 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

Being a product of the comprehensive school system in the later 80s/early 90s I struggle with grammar. We weren't taught the rules of grammar or syntax and I can't tell an adjective from an adverb.
Fides invicta triumphat

#43 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:15 AM

Being a product of the comprehensive school system in the later 80s/early 90s I struggle with grammar. We weren't taught the rules of grammar or syntax and I can't tell an adjective from an adverb.

Similar story here (but in my case the mid to late 70s :(), but have since made an effort to try and learn.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#44 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

Just seen this headline.... Women's and Girls' Football! Also read about Ladie's Football and Ladies' Football!

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#45 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

very often slappable when expressing his opinions, as in his travel writing).

Oh thank goodness for that, I thought it was just me!

I tried to persevere with 'notes from a small island' even though it read like a list of grumpy B&B reviews. However, when I got to the bit where he was complaining about the lack of public transport in a run down Gwynedd village - on a Sunday, in January - I couldn't take any more.

So are his other ramblings worth a look, then?

#46 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,407 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

Women's and Girls' Football!

Which bit's wrong there?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#47 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

Which bit's wrong there?

I would say Girls' Football. However, it is most confusing from the research I have done on football.

#48 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,692 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

I struggle with people who are for example Workaholics?

Now Alcoholic I can understand but if you use the same reasoning behind workaholic should it not be alcohololic? Or should workaholic not be just Workic?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#49 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,995 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

I had a generally excellent education in the comprehensive school system but English was the weak point. Indifferent English teachers throughout my entire high school experience who went at their pace whether any of us in the class understood or not. I remember about a three week period where our normal teacher was ill and the substitute teacher simply gave us copies of the Hobbit and told us to shut up and read during every class without any tuition at all. That bored me rigid because I'd already read the book before then. When the normal teacher returned, she slotted into her schedule and simply abandoned any idea of trying to cover the stuff we missed in the three weeks before; the first day back she set us homework of having read a chapter set of a new book that was half way through the book and then she got upset next day when none of us had completed the homework.

The only reason I have anywhere near a decent grasp of English is through the amount of reading I do and some very severe marking during my degree! In the first year of my degree I think I lost about 5% out of every subject's marks due to being marked down for poor grammar skills.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#50 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,772 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

I struggle with people who are for example Workaholics?

Now Alcoholic I can understand but if you use the same reasoning behind workaholic should it not be alcohololic? Or should workaholic not be just Workic?

I assume it's both the synonym for someone who is obsessed and the 'k' sound in both alc and work (and choc)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#51 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Not everyone who is proficient in grammar gains a grade in life. It's been said, JK Rowling: "May not be the most stylish user of language but she's an amazing storyteller."

#52 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,995 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

Posted Image

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#53 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Oh thank goodness for that, I thought it was just me!

I tried to persevere with 'notes from a small island' even though it read like a list of grumpy B&B reviews. However, when I got to the bit where he was complaining about the lack of public transport in a run down Gwynedd village - on a Sunday, in January - I couldn't take any more.

So are his other ramblings worth a look, then?

Yes, a Short History of Everything and a At Home: A Short History of Private Life are both enjoyable and rewarding reads. Friends who know more about science grump that he gets some difficult concepts wrong, but it doesn't trouble the layman very much. Made in America and Mother Tongue have already been mentioned as good reads. The only travel book of his I recommend is Lost Continent, where he travels through small town USA.

It was the same incident in Small island that annoyed me, too. He was grumping something awful about the Festiniog Railway train from Blaenau not having been held to await the late train from Llandudno. If the annoying person had done some bleedin' research he would have realised that if you want to use public transport from Blaenau to Porthmadog you get the number 1 bus, which takes half the time and costs a quarter of the price, and yes, it does run on a Sunday. Neither Here Nor There was even worse, he spends the whole time whinging and getting drunk. When he complained about there being nothing to do or see in Sion, Switzerland, a town with two castles and surrounded by vineyards, I hurled the book into the nearest wall. Did Not Do The Research. The one set in Australia was annoying too, five minutes in the place and he's pontificating about the Australian national character as if he'd been living there for years.

#54 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,692 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

I assume it's both the synonym for someone who is obsessed and the 'k' sound in both alc and work (and choc)

Shopaholic?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#55 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,772 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

Shopaholic?

No, I'm too tight with my money.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#56 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,199 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

Fundamentally it is about communication...of facts, ideas, feelings, intentions etc. ,

Thus spelling, grammar, punctuation, style 'n stuff, are important in ensuring correct communications. Context, usage, medium, situation all come into this, That is why shopahlic and chocaholic are acceptable as teh meaning is clear whether of not the word construction is correct.

#57 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,772 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Fundamentally it is about communication...of facts, ideas, feelings, intentions etc. ,

Thus spelling, grammar, punctuation, style 'n stuff, are important in ensuring correct communications. Context, usage, medium, situation all come into this, That is why shopahlic and chocaholic are acceptable as teh meaning is clear whether of not the word construction is correct.

Your write.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#58 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

Arf arf

#59 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

"Can I"... borrow your book asks the question, " do you think I have the ability to perform the act of borrowing your book, whereas "may I " asks your permission.

This is BS dreamed up by some ###### with elbow patches to make himself sound intelligent albeit in a pretentious way.

Can and may are model verbs; modal verbs have multiple meanings for instance "may" is used as a synonym of might and marks a possible future e.g. "I may go out tonight".

Applied to your suggested sentence: "May I borrow your book?" implies that that you are asking your friend whether you are likely to do so in the future.

Of course that would be bolox.

#60 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

I believe you are an EFL teacher, so I am glad you got that right. Both are acceptable. As I understand it, "May I...?" is more formal, but "Can I...?" is a perfectly acceptable, if somewhat informal, alternative. It works because you are asking about ability, which would depend on the permission being granted, so in a roundabout way, it is asking permission.

Untrue, you could also ask "Could I borrow...?" but it would have nothing to do with the past tense or ability. Most modal verbs have multiple meanings that sometimes have little or nothing to do with each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users