Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rams and Bulls announce link-up (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#181 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,418 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

No need to ask club chairmen, logic and looking at the facts it doesn't take Einstein to work out what is happening in the game. Please advise which part of my rant was untrue or not based on fact?

Try......they have been trying to kill the lower ranks off since the inception of SL

Unless of course our understanding of "facts" also differs.

Please let me know what I am missing here, I simply do not see see how allowing the SL votes count more than those from teams in the Championship can be a positive thing for Championship clubs? As you correctly point out, the RFL are a representative body and not independent, all I ask is, who is pulling the strings? With SL clubs getting 2 votes to 1, whatever SL want they will get. I may be wrong but, by my reckoning, that makes 28 votes for the 14 SL clubs and to 20 for the rest of the teams combined? Am I missing something, maybe adding 2 and 2 doesn't always equal 4, I thought it did?

Are we supposed to believe that the rules of nature regarding self interest, will not, and are not followed in RL circles? We are supposed to believe that every club in SL make there decisions without any self interest at all, and do what is for the good of the game as a whole?

Looking towards the end of next season when relegation is a threat again, I think it would be pretty naive to expect every club to play by the rules when faced with playing in the bottom division the year after and likely financial ruin. Is it only logical to think that one or two clubs might try to bend a few rules to avoid the drop, especially given the RFL's past record of administering things like the salary cap. and the licensing system which awarded a club who had budgeted to lose £1 million last year a grade B license? I admire your confidence in them given there record. I also look forward to seeing Dewsbury's or any of the teams with a link up's team list in the last couple of rounds of the season, especially if they are facing relegation. You can bet your bottom dollar if the partner clubs gives 2 hoots for them, that they will not be going in to the last couple of rounds without at least a couple of star players who are miraculously returning from injury at the same time, to try and get them out of the mire. I ask would that be fair or in the spirit of the game?

Sheesh!!

Ready, fire, aim seems to be your motto. Every argument is countered by a tangential slant, once more based upon bitterness.

Try reading my sig - better still try to understand it.

Good luck.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 23 October 2012 - 03:21 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#182 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

You're a cynic. They voted to keep Bradford in for many reasons.

(I'm not saying I agree with that decision mind you...)

name some
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#183 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

name some

Whats the point? What will it realistically achieve?
Posted Image

#184 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Whats the point? What will it realistically achieve?

;)
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#185 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

These match-up's won't last once the SL clubs have no more contractual obligations to Academy players so there's no need for the doom and gloom.

Hey, i hope you have permission to use common sense on this forum ;)
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#186 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Indeed...! :D
Posted Image

#187 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 971 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

I can't. see what the problem is with the link up with theBulls,if it doesn't work out for us,our chairman will pull the plug on the deal,we gave it a try and we will carry on by ourselves .If Rovers,Halifax and Sheffield don't want to give it a try,good luck to them.We will still have our clubs to support ,don't worry everyone.

#188 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

I can't. see what the problem is with the link up with theBulls,if it doesn't work out for us,our chairman will pull the plug on the deal,we gave it a try and we will carry on by ourselves .If Rovers,Halifax and Sheffield don't want to give it a try,good luck to them.We will still have our clubs to support ,don't worry everyone.

Thank you. You have no idea how happy this post has made me. If only all fans were capable of rational thought like you.

:D
Posted Image

#189 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 849 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

Gav I think you and Tom gave it a good go in the fev forum but I think the facts got in the way of whatever conspiracy theory is doing the rounds. Tin foil hats must be popular in fev.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#190 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Gav I think you and Tom gave it a good go in the fev forum but I think the facts got in the way of whatever conspiracy theory is doing the rounds. Tin foil hats must be popular in fev.

Indeed mate. I've left them to it.
Posted Image

#191 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

We will still have our clubs to support ,don't worry everyone.

Have you ? :blink:

that's the key point at the heart of the issue.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#192 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Indeed mate. I've left them to it.

Given up trying to justify the unjustifiable, more like. <_<

#193 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Stuart Duffy told a supporters meeting at the Bulls last night that they were looking to link up with having Dewsbury Rams as a feeder club.

Just to go back to the start of the thread. The problem,of course, is that once a few clubs have signed up to deals like this it becomes harder for other clubs to compete without a similar tie up. However, whether or not the Rams are a feeder club for the Bulls the mere perception that they are may well make it more difficult to attract new fans to the Rams. A club like York, which has some geographical isolation, may find it easier to retain identity, but for clubs like ours it may make it just that bit more likely that a new/young supporter would choose to support the SL club instead. Or am I wrong?

#194 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

It was a one day pass. Back to normality now.

#195 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

Just to go back to the start of the thread. The problem,of course, is that once a few clubs have signed up to deals like this it becomes harder for other clubs to compete without a similar tie up. However, whether or not the Rams are a feeder club for the Bulls the mere perception that they are may well make it more difficult to attract new fans to the Rams. A club like York, which has some geographical isolation, may find it easier to retain identity, but for clubs like ours it may make it just that bit more likely that a new/young supporter would choose to support the SL club instead. Or am I wrong?

I have to take issue with this idea of clubs competing. You are making the assumption that the academy level players available to linked clubs are of a good enough standard.

#196 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

I have to take issue with this idea of clubs competing. You are making the assumption that the academy level players available to linked clubs are of a good enough standard.

Perhaps you are right in challenging my assumption. Mind you, what would be the point of clubs entering into these arrangements if they didn't think that it would give them an edge?. The main point that I'm making, though, is that if there is a perception, rightly or wrongly, that a Championship club is a feeder club for a SL club in the near vicinity it may make it more difficult to attract new supporters to the Championship club.

Edited by Bi11, 25 October 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#197 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Perhaps you are right in challenging my assumption. Mind you, what would be the point of clubs entering into these arrangements if they didn't think that it would give them an edge?. The main point that I'm making, though, is that if there is a perception, rightly or wrongly, that a Championship club is a feeder club for a SL club in the near vicinity it may make it more difficult to attract new supporters to the Championship club.

Exactly. ;)

If you were a Fev supporter, would you watch Cas Reserves - even if they played their home games in your town?

#198 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Exactly. ;)

If you were a Fev supporter, would you watch Cas Reserves - even if they played their home games in your town?

I don't think anyone would want to watch another teams reserves really, which reminds me, not that it bothers us, but Batley have apparently done a deal like we have with Bradford, JK says it is going to blow championship rivals away...
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#199 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

I don't think anyone would want to watch another teams reserves really, which reminds me, not that it bothers us, but Batley have apparently done a deal like we have with Bradford, JK says it is going to blow championship rivals away...

jk will do whatever's best for jk.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#200 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

jk will do whatever's best for jk.

How very enigmatic? Do you mean as a person or as a professional? This statement I would suggest is applicable to the rest of RL, which I guess is the point of this thread. Clubs are doing what they perceive to be the best thing for their own interests, and I would suggest that includes all clubs!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users