Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rams and Bulls announce link-up (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#201 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

jk will do whatever's best for jk.

Exactly, and it is why he has done it.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#202 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

How very enigmatic? Do you mean as a person or as a professional? This statement I would suggest is applicable to the rest of RL, which I guess is the point of this thread. Clubs are doing what they perceive to be the best thing for their own interests, and I would suggest that includes all clubs!!

JK isn't a club - I think that was the point of the posting. Or am I wrong?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#203 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

You have it spot on, BSJ. B)
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#204 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

I am not sure. I took it to mean JK will do the best for the current position, and hence the club, that he occupies. I would though accept I am wrong on this.

#205 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

...... it is a pop at the nails being driven in to the CH coffin and the thought of turning our competition in to a potential farce.

Which it isn't going to do.

You are painting bleak pictures of these partnerships to suit your agenda that just simply aren't going to happen.

It's not going to happen eh Gav, Workington have just DR'd the whole Widnes first team squad. Never mind eh, we can all go to Twicker's and drink G&T after our game has been well and truly stuffed up

Stick to tidily winks in future, you can be safe in the knowledge that even if you know absolutely sod all about that, you will still know infinitely more about it, than you do about RL

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 25 January 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#206 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

It's not going to happen eh Gav, Workington have just DR'd the whole Widnes first team squad. Never mind eh, we can all go to Twicker's and drink G&T after our game has been well and truly stuffed up

Stick to tidily winks in future, you can be safe in the knowledge that even if you know absolutely sod all about that, you will still know infinitely more about it, than you do about RL

I didn't think it would come to this. I'm happy to admit I might have been a tad optimistic that the system had some level of integrity and control behind it.

#207 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Agree dual registering the whole squad makes a mockery of the system. Last season having Liam Hood and Brad Singleton was good for us and them and didnt disrupt the team and no one would sayWJ wasn't selecting the team or we were a Leeds feeder team. The Widnes /Workington move harks back to what Leeds did to Bramley before they folded.

#208 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

I seem to recall you saying that your club would never fall for this?

http://www.examiner....86081-32682163/

You'll be pleased to see how Fartown are reaping the benefits.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#209 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I seem to recall you saying that your club would never fall for this?

http://www.examiner....86081-32682163/

You'll be pleased to see how Fartown are reaping the benefits.

You are very much mistaken BSJ, I have only slightly more faith in our Chairman, than I have in the RFL, but it is only slightly more.

However, I may have stated that I would hope that our Chairman would not fall for this like MS had, and if he did and Batley turned in to a feeder club, I would no longer support them. I also stated I might as well save myself the 200+ mile round trip to home games from Wales and watch any of a number of SL clubs who are much closer to home instead. I cannot see any point in watching a SL 2nd team under the guise of a Championship club. I still stand by that.

I have no issue with a couple of DR lads learning the game and developing in the CH with any club, ideally under a seasons' loan rather than DR, but that doesn't seem to be an option, so take what you can.

But when it gets to the stage that 5 regular first team SL players are turning out in odd games in the division, for example due to squad rotation at there parent club, then the Championship has lost all credibility and turns in to a farce.

On the Giant's, I am not overly impressed by seeing we have 2 wingers on DR considering we have probably some of the best outside backs in the division IMO, why we would need these 2 lads seems crazy to me, but I am not the coach, in JK I trust though. We look short at Prop and half back as Moore is out for some time, and I would much rather we had DR'd a couple of players in these positions rather than wingers, but as I say I'm no JK so for the time being I'll reserve judgement.

But hey, I just seem to have some kind of "bitter agenda", what my agenda is supposed to be, I still don't have a clue. I'm not even sure whether it is possible to have an agenda with absolutely nothing to gain, maybe you could put me right?

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 26 January 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#210 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

You are very much mistaken BSJ, I have only slightly more faith in our Chairman, than I have in the RFL, but it is only slightly more.

However, I may have stated that I would hope that our Chairman would not fall for this like MS had, and if he did and Batley turned in to a feeder club, I would no longer support them. I also stated I might as well save myself the 200+ mile round trip to home games from Wales and watch any of a number of SL clubs who are much closer to home instead. I cannot see any point in watching a SL 2nd team under the guise of a Championship club. I still stand by that.

I have no issue with a couple of DR lads learning the game and developing in the CH with any club, ideally under a seasons' loan rather than DR, but that doesn't seem to be an option, so take what you can.

But when it gets to the stage that 5 regular first team SL players are turning out in odd games in the division, for example due to squad rotation at there parent club, then the Championship has lost all credibility and turns in to a farce.

On the Giant's, I am not overly impressed by seeing we have 2 wingers on DR considering we have probably some of the best outside backs in the division IMO, why we would need these 2 lads seems crazy to me, but I am not the coach, in JK I trust though. We look short at Prop and half back as Moore is out for some time, and I would much rather we had DR'd a couple of players in these positions rather than wingers, but as I say I'm no JK so for the time being I'll reserve judgement.

But hey, I just seem to have some kind of "bitter agenda", what my agenda is supposed to be, I still don't have a clue. I'm not even sure whether it is possible to have an agenda with absolutely nothing to gain, maybe you could put me right?

Have to agree with you P@H, it could turn out to be a farce. We have been linked with a hooker and a second row, neither of whom we need and despite the fact we're still light in the backs - I bet they will play too, regardless of whether they are much better than what we already have or not. Interesting to see that hunslet have signed brilliant prospect jimmy eikhorn on DR - somebody who will strengthen them, not could or maybe. It will be a travesty if survival at the end of the season depends on who gets the best DR's, but I feel that could happen, and we might be in the mix.

#211 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I don't believe that I have ever used the word bitter regarding your posts but you did at one time adopt a "holier than thou" attitude when Dewsbury first announced their plans. Sadly nearly all of the Championship clubs have now stepped into line on this and, despite JK's attempt to spin things differently, Batley's arrangements are the same as everyone else's.

I am no fan whatsoever of these arrangements and believe that they are designed entirely for the benefit of SL clubs, as you would see from my previous posts. The Championship is a valuable and viable competition in its own right and I would hate to see it subsumed into a feeder stream for SL. However we've been told that won't happen, so that's OK.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 26 January 2013 - 12:33 PM.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#212 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

No bitterness then P&H?

B)

I know facts can get in the way of a good prejudice but Bradford's woes weren't associated with maladministration of the salary cap by the RFL. Let's not stop them being whipping boys though eh? It's much easier than trying to understand things properly I always say.

Take care.

I presumed this was sarcasm. Anyway. no hard feelings mate. lets all try and enjoy what's left of 2 once very proud clubs before all that is left are memories. Unless of course the championship clubs stand together and stick 2 fingers up to the powers that be and do what they should have done years ago and leave them to it

#213 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Gav I think you and Tom gave it a good go in the fev forum but I think the facts got in the way of whatever conspiracy theory is doing the rounds. Tin foil hats must be popular in fev.

What facts were they then? Please enlighten us
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#214 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 26 January 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#215 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

On a brighter note we could all make a few quid out of the bookies Workington are 50/1 to win the league, which looks a very good bet

#216 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 861 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

What facts were they then? Please enlighten us

As I remember it was down to the number of DR that clubs are able to play at anyone time.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#217 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

... despite JK's attempt to spin things differently, Batley's arrangements are the same as everyone else's.

You seem very well-informed on our team selection policy, BSJ. We had over 20 first-teamers on duty on Thursday night - it was nothing more than a practice session so no reason not to chuck a few Giants in as a favour, they haven't figured in the Dewsbury or Keighley games to any significant level. Let's see how many Huddersfield players are in our 17 on Feb 3 before you make such a sweeping statement.

#218 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

They can register the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th squad.They can only play 5 on one showing.

#219 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

As I remember it was down to the number of DR that clubs are able to play at anyone time.

No one's disputed that on the Fev forum, have they? Do you see it remaining at five? Gav couldn't answer nor even give an opinion. How about you?

#220 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

They can register the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th squad.They can only play 5 on one showing.

Very true only 5 DR players at any one time. However, I haven't seen anything to stop the following:

Workington are looking for a top 4 finish and a home draw in the play off's, Widnes on the other hand, have 5 games left of the season and nothing to left to play for. There is no relegation and it is mathematically impossible for them to get in the play off's.

With nothing to play for, Widnes decide to pay the remainder of the contracts to 5 lads on there books until the end of the season, there is no financial detriment that way to either the players or the club who would have to pay it anyway, leaving the players as free agents. They do this on the proviso, these lads sign for Workington until the end of the season. Workington sign these lads on match terms for say £1 a match. The players already have the contract money from Widnes coming in so the money isn't an issue for the players, and it ensures Workington stay under the salary cap limit.

Workington have 5 newly signed Widnes players until the end of the season signed for nothing, and 5 spaces open to DR other players. At the end of the season, Therefore 10 of the Widnes first team can turn out in the latter rounds.

When the season has finished, Widnes can then re-sign these lads as they are free agents again. "simples"

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 27 January 2013 - 08:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users