Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rams and Bulls announce link-up (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#221 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

No one's disputed that on the Fev forum, have they? Do you see it remaining at five? Gav couldn't answer nor even give an opinion. How about you?

As I remember yes but Im not going to go back to a topic 4 months ago to look. I think it will stay at 5 for this season. As for after then till the end of time or RL, I would guess it will come down to future sky contracts , size of SL and the future growth or not of the sport as a whole.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#222 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Very true only 5 DR players at any one time. However, I haven't seen anything to stop the following:

Workington are looking for a top 4 finish and a home draw in the play off's, Widnes on the other hand, have 5 games left of the season and nothing to left to play for. There is no relegation and it is mathematically impossible for them to get in the play off's.

With nothing to play for, Widnes decide to pay the remainder of the contracts to 5 lads on there books until the end of the season, there is no financial detriment that way to either the players or the club who would have to pay it anyway, leaving the players as free agents. They do this on the proviso, these lads sign for Workington until the end of the season. Workington sign these lads on match terms for say £1 a match. The players already have the contract money from Widnes coming in so the money isn't an issue for the players, and it ensures Workington stay under the salary cap limit.

Workington have 5 newly signed Widnes players until the end of the season signed for nothing, and 5 spaces open to DR other players. At the end of the season, Therefore 10 of the Widnes first team can turn out in the latter rounds.

When the season has finished, Widnes can then re-sign these lads as they are free agents again. "simples"

Methinks one or two worky directrs will be looking at that and thinking, bluddy hell - thats a good plan ! Actually, my bigger worry is how it affects the relegation issue.

#223 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Methinks one or two worky directrs will be looking at that and thinking, bluddy hell - thats a good plan ! Actually, my bigger worry is how it affects the relegation issue.

Sad fact is, the clubs have probably already got these deals sewn up. You can pretty much relegate Barrow before the season starts, as they haven't linked up with anyone to my knowledge.

On brighter note though, if Bradford and Huddersfield continue with the form they showed at the end of last season, they won't have anything to play for either; so we could be doing the same.

It would be laughable, if it wasn't so tragic. Like you say just what this will do to the relegation spots is anyone's guess, but I can't see York, Workington or Hunslet being in the frame this year.

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 27 January 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#224 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

I think the best we can hope for is a one season wonder for these set-us if they are to be so easily abused.

#225 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

You seem very well-informed on our team selection policy, BSJ. We had over 20 first-teamers on duty on Thursday night - it was nothing more than a practice session so no reason not to chuck a few Giants in as a favour, they haven't figured in the Dewsbury or Keighley games to any significant level. Let's see how many Huddersfield players are in our 17 on Feb 3 before you make such a sweeping statement.

Read my post again Chairman - I never referred to Batley's selection policy simply to the arrangement that they have made with Huddersfield.

As you should know in the early days of these arrangements being put into place quite a number of your fans were adopting an attitude of moral superiority based upon the fact that you hadn't linked up formally with a SL club. When Batley did descend into the gutter with everyone else your club still attempted to spin it as an entirely different kind of deal to the rest when, as we can all see, it is actually just the same in practice. I take no pleasure from this situation but dislike any remaining tendency to adopt a holier than thou attitude (in which I don't include you personally) by some fans.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#226 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Looks like we have DR the entire Bradford squad.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#227 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

As the entire Bradford squad ain't all that good, that seems a pointless exercise. I'm beginning to lose the will to live. :(

#228 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

As the entire Bradford squad ain't all that good, that seems a pointless exercise. I'm beginning to lose the will to live. :(

Agreed but their better than widnes and could match Hulls.

#229 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Very true only 5 DR players at any one time. However, I haven't seen anything to stop the following:

Workington are looking for a top 4 finish and a home draw in the play off's, Widnes on the other hand, have 5 games left of the season and nothing to left to play for. There is no relegation and it is mathematically impossible for them to get in the play off's.

With nothing to play for, Widnes decide to pay the remainder of the contracts to 5 lads on there books until the end of the season, there is no financial detriment that way to either the players or the club who would have to pay it anyway, leaving the players as free agents. They do this on the proviso, these lads sign for Workington until the end of the season. Workington sign these lads on match terms for say £1 a match. The players already have the contract money from Widnes coming in so the money isn't an issue for the players, and it ensures Workington stay under the salary cap limit.

Workington have 5 newly signed Widnes players until the end of the season signed for nothing, and 5 spaces open to DR other players. At the end of the season, Therefore 10 of the Widnes first team can turn out in the latter rounds.

When the season has finished, Widnes can then re-sign these lads as they are free agents again. "simples"

I bet you write kids fairy tales as well.

First of all clubs are only allowed to use 5 dual registered players in any one match.

Each SL player dual registered carries a nominal value for every Championship game that they play and that value is added each game to the Championship clubs salary cap total. Examples are a player earning over a £100k in SL adds £1,500 to the Championship clubs salary cap total, irrespective of what it actually costs the club. The salaries are then scaled down -£60k - £100k carries a £1,000 addition; £40k - £59,999 adds £750; £20k - £39,999 adds £500 and Under £20 adds actual costs incurred.

You don't have to be a mathematical genius to see that Championship clubs couldn't hope to get top SL players and stay below the salary cap limit.

Even if clubs did have scope within their salary cap to add a top SL player they couldn't do it for the play-offs unless the player had played in the appropriate number of qualifying league games for the Championship club (it's either 50% or 75% of games - I can't remember which!!).

So all the theories and "what ifs" are just that. Just because all the Widnes players have been registered does not mean that they will be anywhere near the Town team and in practice it will be lads on the fringe or lower that play same as at any of the linked clubs.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#230 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

I bet you write kids fairy tales as well.

First of all clubs are only allowed to use 5 dual registered players in any one match.

Each SL player dual registered carries a nominal value for every Championship game that they play and that value is added each game to the Championship clubs salary cap total. Examples are a player earning over a £100k in SL adds £1,500 to the Championship clubs salary cap total, irrespective of what it actually costs the club. The salaries are then scaled down -£60k - £100k carries a £1,000 addition; £40k - £59,999 adds £750; £20k - £39,999 adds £500 and Under £20 adds actual costs incurred.

You don't have to be a mathematical genius to see that Championship clubs couldn't hope to get top SL players and stay below the salary cap limit.

Even if clubs did have scope within their salary cap to add a top SL player they couldn't do it for the play-offs unless the player had played in the appropriate number of qualifying league games for the Championship club (it's either 50% or 75% of games - I can't remember which!!).

So all the theories and "what ifs" are just that. Just because all the Widnes players have been registered does not mean that they will be anywhere near the Town team and in practice it will be lads on the fringe or lower that play same as at any of the linked clubs.

That's fine - and well explained by the way, but then the question arises, why bother to dual reg a whole squad, most of whom you (and us) won't be able to afford ?

#231 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

That's fine - and well explained by the way, but then the question arises, why bother to dual reg a whole squad, most of whom you (and us) won't be able to afford ?

Two reasons gor. First the players were all registered by Widnes and I think the idea behind that was Dennis Betts "geeing" up his squad to show them that everyone was being treat the same (in theory anyways). Secondly if they had only registered say 6 players and none of them was a hooker. If Town required a hooker they would have to register another player before he could play so by registering the whole squad it saves on administration as well. As you say it is a paper exercise as the top players wont be playing as dual registered players - too costly.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#232 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Rubbish.

#233 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Two reasons gor. First the players were all registered by Widnes ...

If that is true Workington are no longer an independent club

#234 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

If that is true Workington are no longer an independent club

Do you think for one minute that Workington could have rung the RFL up and told them they wanted to register all the Widnes squad? The players belong to Widnes!!!!

#235 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Do you think for one minute that Workington could have rung the RFL up and told them they wanted to register all the Widnes squad? The players belong to Widnes!!!!

Yes of course that's what Workington have done.otherwise if Widnes can register players as Workington players then Workington are clearly no longer independent!

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep, 29 January 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#236 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

If Widnes can decide who is registered to play for Workington then Workington are clearly no longer independent!

Rubbish

#237 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Rubbish

So who's in charge of registering Workington players, Workington themselves or Widnes?

#238 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

So who's in charge of registering Workington players, Workington themselves or Widnes?

You'll have to read the rules. Only SL players can be dual registered to a Championship club. We haven't got any players to dual reg to anyone as we are the Championship club. Just like the Rams we have to wait and see who the SL club make available.

#239 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Rubbish.

Well thats that out of the way.Come on lads see if we can get it before the press announce it.

#240 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Well thats that out of the way.Come on lads see if we can get it before the press announce it.

I thought Glen Morrison had confirmed it to the press?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users