Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rams and Bulls announce link-up (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#241 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

i will eat humble pie now because it has now been decided between the two clubs to mass dr the squads although only 5 can play at any one time . personaly i dont like the arrangement in general and i feel uncomfortable with the way this situation is working out and its implications .francis cannot dictate that any player has to play for us as that is up to glenn alone so team selection is up to the host coach but i still dont like it at face value . apologies equalizer

Edited by guest from down under, 31 January 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#242 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

No I don't like it either. Thought Singelton and Hood were good for us and them, but we could end up playing lots of different players, who have no interest in the Rams.

#243 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

i will eat humble pie now because it has now been decided between the two clubs to mass dr the squads although only 5 can play at any one time . personaly i dont like the arrangement in general and i feel uncomfortable with the way this situation is working out and its implications .francis cannot dictate that any player has to play for us as that is up to glenn alone so team selection is up to the host coach but i still dont like it at face value . apologies equalizer

Frankly the whole thing stinks. Not sure how it will pan out for us or others, buts its clear that any manager will become "interested" in these DR players if they are looking down the barrel of relegation or on the periphery of the play offs. It will also become a lottery for all the clubs as to when we play each other. What if we play Doncaster this Sunday and because its early doors they dont have any DR players on duty, but when York, Hunslet or others go there three games from relegation and they have 5 SL players on the field. How is that fair? Points this season might just depend on when you play teams and how many SL players they have that day......

#244 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Although only five players can play under DR ,the number could be increased with season long loans.It has the potential to become farcical.

#245 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Just to add a bit of perspective i have yet to see a "SL player" who has been drafted into any side on DR make an immediate, or even game-changing impact. This I can't see any one side suddenly improving their performances overnight simple by the introduction of a couple of different players. In addition, the majority of players who are being considered are relatively young and inexperienced and, indeed, it is this experience that the SL club is hoping to gain.

I don't doubt that one coach or another will try to play the system a little (who remembers Geoff Fletcher's manoeuvring to keep Highfield in the league?) but overall I don't expect the immediate impact to be all that great. Long-term however might be a different matter.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#246 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Ditto with every thing negative thats been said.Does this mean the Championship could start to mirror the S.L.Those on a D/R with the top clubs will start to do better in our league.

#247 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Just to add a bit of perspective i have yet to see a "SL player" who has been drafted into any side on DR make an immediate, or even game-changing impact. This I can't see any one side suddenly improving their performances overnight simple by the introduction of a couple of different players. In addition, the majority of players who are being considered are relatively young and inexperienced and, indeed, it is this experience that the SL club is hoping to gain.

I don't doubt that one coach or another will try to play the system a little (who remembers Geoff Fletcher's manoeuvring to keep Highfield in the league?) but overall I don't expect the immediate impact to be all that great. Long-term however might be a different matter.

Not sure about that BSJ, a couple of seasons ago leigh had some dual reg's from warrington who made, by their own fans admition, a huge difference to the teams performance whenever they appeared that season - among them was matty blythe.

#248 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

my main concern is that a player or players could appear on a teamsheet out of the blue and for one thing that player might have no great desire to exert himself and also that player might not be conversant with playing structures . Also what about the players who are displaced by temporary blokes , surely those who train hard and are club players will not be impressed by not playing in favour of " guest" players.

#249 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

my main concern is that a player or players could appear on a teamsheet out of the blue and for one thing that player might have no great desire to exert himself and also that player might not be conversant with playing structures . Also what about the players who are displaced by temporary blokes , surely those who train hard and are club players will not be impressed by not playing in favour of " guest" players.

for example, how will tebby feel when glen plays adam obrien this weekend, when tebbys done nothing wrong in the pre season games???

IMO we dont need adam obrien and james donaldson anyway and i certainly dont think its fair on them who will be dropped for no fault of their own..

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 01 February 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#250 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Another concern of mine is that clubs may become lazy in recruiting their own squads. If leeds for example, with their large player base, decide to have a squad of forty, hunslet would only need to sign the bare bones, and still know they would be able to turn out a side capable of doing well, simply because they would have twenty fringe players to choose their five from. It really is disincentivising clubs to stand on their own two feet IMO.

#251 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

for example, how will tebby feel when glen plays adam obrien this weekend, when tebbys done nothing wrong in the pre season games???

IMO we dont need adam obrien and james donaldson anyway and i certainly dont think its fair on them who will be dropped for no fault of their own..

We do, however, need michael platt if he is in the mix.

#252 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Having thought about it.We have to give the coach some respect here.He assembled his squad without a thought of any bulls players being involved.Unless theres an injury to a couple of half backs for instance.I dont think he will go for a short term fix.However one decent experienced S/L player wouldnt be bad at the start till the lads fully gel.

#253 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

It is only possible for the coach to field what is his best side available and if he considers that players are available who are better than he already has available then he cannot be blamed for selecting them ,after all its his job and thats a lot of availables .
i have just tried selecting what would be my team for this sunday including donaldson and obrien and its not an easy thing to do . one thing i am certain of and that is that our pack is formidable and considering that there are a few more of our players to become available in the next few weeks i am of the belief that we as a team will barring injuries be no walkover for anybody in the division .There is also the introduction of a joker still to be played by glenn of which news will be declared presently .

#254 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

LOL, :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . someones just rung me straight away and got the answer to my last sentence . Yep you`ve got it , Glenns old pal lockyers going to turn out for a few games while hes over here .

#255 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Chris Aiton, wakefields paul Aitons younger brother ... Hooker/ halfback?? Fijian international? Currently with sharlston wanting a championship club but needs a years visa instead of his current one for just 3 month before he signs for Dewsbury?

One thing for sure is we have a big strong squad to pick from, my team for sunday would be as follows,,

CRAVEN, AKAIDERE/BECKET, SCOTT, HALE, MORTON,,
BROWN, SPAVIN
AIZUE, WRIGHT, SPIERS/HEPWORTH,
SPICER, DONALDSON, TONKS

SUBS FROM OBRIEN/TEBB, LILLYCROP, ESPOSITO, COLEMAN.....

LEAVING OUT AKAIDERE/BECKET, OBRIEN/TEBB, SPIERS/HEPWORTH, ANNAKIN, GALLAGHER, COSGROVE, SCHOFIELD......

INJURED ARE JONES, BUCHANAN AND JOHNSTON

#256 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Will all the Bradford squad have Dewsbury squad numbers? If so the argument that squad numbers saves money will go straight out of the window.

:rolleyes:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#257 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Not sure about that BSJ, a couple of seasons ago leigh had some dual reg's from warrington who made, by their own fans admition, a huge difference to the teams performance whenever they appeared that season - among them was matty blythe.

I believe their impact was long term rather than instant GOR. My contention was that players being drafted into and out of any team will be unlikely to have a beneficial impact.

As I have said all along I am uncomfortable with this arrangement but we just have to see how it all pans out.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#258 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

How do you pick the pack from the players available and who do you leave out

annikin
lillycrop
obrien
hepworth
donaldson
spicer
tonks
esposito
gallagher
aizue
spiers
tebb
wright

13 forwards to choose from

#259 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Only need to leave out 4.

Six to start, three on the bench.

Injuries might help your choice. ;)
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#260 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

not quite the same strength in the backs..
Posted Image