Photo
- - - - -

Rams and Bulls announce link-up (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#261 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

spicer in the centres maybe?
Posted Image

#262 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Wait while sammut gets a run out...that would
be awesome ;)

#263 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Although only five players can play under DR ,the number could be increased with season long loans.It has the potential to become farcical.

No they can't, it's 5 dual registered players and/or loan players in any matchday 17.

Edited by Keith T, 01 February 2013 - 05:08 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#264 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Bulls players will have their own agenda I.e. to get into the Bulls 1st team. If they've had a good first half, they might want to come off rather than risk injury. They will be out to impress Francis Cummins and not Glenn Morrison. Younger fringe players will have a point to prove, older players will more likely do what they need to do to get back into the Bulls side, regardless of the Rams.

Hood and Singleton had an incentive to do well to stay in the Rams side each week and gain experience and develop.

#265 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Bulls players will have their own agenda I.e. to get into the Bulls 1st team. If they've had a good first half, they might want to come off rather than risk injury. They will be out to impress Francis Cummins and not Glenn Morrison. Younger fringe players will have a point to prove, older players will more likely do what they need to do to get back into the Bulls side, regardless of the Rams.

Hood and Singleton had an incentive to do well to stay in the Rams side each week and gain experience and develop.

Older players will also be likely to be on bigger contracts, which would impact upon Dewsbury's salary cap calculation. I don't think GM will be looking at his team as a place for an old stager to get back to fitness and form before moving on, do you?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#266 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Just to add a bit of perspective i have yet to see a "SL player" who has been drafted into any side on DR make an immediate, or even game-changing impact. This I can't see any one side suddenly improving their performances overnight simple by the introduction of a couple of different players. In addition, the majority of players who are being considered are relatively young and inexperienced and, indeed, it is this experience that the SL club is hoping to gain.

I don't doubt that one coach or another will try to play the system a little (who remembers Geoff Fletcher's manoeuvring to keep Highfield in the league?) but overall I don't expect the immediate impact to be all that great. Long-term however might be a different matter.

You clearly didn't see McGilvary at Batley. Without some of his remarkable trys we would have been relegated.

#267 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

That would only mean one thing if batley got relegated

ive only 2 wishes left ;)

#268 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

That would only mean one thing if batley got relegated

ive only 2 wishes left ;)

Gee, what would your other two wishes be?

Edited by Bi11, 01 February 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#269 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Wait while sammut gets a run out...that would
be awesome ;)

I'd quite like to see manase manuokafoa or Oliver Elima play too. That would be good
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#270 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

I want to see Dewsbury players only.

When we start having "guest" players it will become like speedway, and look what's happened to that!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#271 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I bet you write kids fairy tales as well.

... So all the theories and "what ifs" are just that. Just because all the Widnes players have been registered does not mean that they will be anywhere near the Town team and in practice it will be lads on the fringe or lower that play same as at any of the linked clubs.

"Kids fairy tales and what if's", maybe you are correct?

However Paul Wood (the lad that lost his testicle in last year's GF) from Warrington is turning out for Swinton on Sunday against Workington. To my mind, these "fairy tales and what if's" as you so delicately put them, are becoming more and more a reality with every passing day.

He is not the only 1st teamer in the squad either FYI, Tyrone McCarthy is also in the Swinton squad for Sunday's game along side him.

http://www.loverugby...or-swinton.html

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 02 February 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#272 Wilsden Ram

Wilsden Ram
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Quite Right BSJ - its in a worse Financial Mess than Super League.

£300 for a season ticket at Sheffield Tigers! I've got mine but I don't
think Coolie will be buying one or paying £15.00 admission each week.

#273 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

"Kids fairy tales and what if's", maybe you are correct?

However Paul Wood (the lad that lost his testicle in last year's GF) from Warrington is turning out for Swinton on Sunday against Workington. To my mind, these "fairy tales and what if's" as you so delicately put them, are becoming more and more a reality with every passing day.

He is not the only 1st teamer in the squad either FYI, Tyrone McCarthy is also in the Swinton squad for Sunday's game along side him.

http://www.loverugby...or-swinton.html

Yes, but this has only been made possible by Swinton registering six players, that they took on dual registration from Warrington, as Swinton players. Once they had done that they were then free to bring in other dual registered players which includes Woods & McCarthy.

Now the question is how legal is the signing by Swinton of the other six players who were all contracted to Warrington and will no doubt go back to Warrington at the end of the season. What they have done is got round the loan system so that they can now play upwards of 11 Warrington players instead of 5 for every one else.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#274 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Yes, but this has only been made possible by Swinton registering six players, that they took on dual registration from Warrington, as Swinton players. Once they had done that they were then free to bring in other dual registered players which includes Woods & McCarthy.

Now the question is how legal is the signing by Swinton of the other six players who were all contracted to Warrington and will no doubt go back to Warrington at the end of the season. What they have done is got round the loan system so that they can now play upwards of 11 Warrington players instead of 5 for every one else.

Well if they're full time players they will soon exceed their salary cap won't they?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#275 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Well forgive me here Keith, but is this not the exact thing you were classing as "fairy tales and what if's" in my earlier post? I believe I posted the exact same thing. Signing players for peanuts from the parent club until the end of the season leaving DR spaces available for other players.

You're nearly as bad as Gav, so far all your assurances have proven to be nothing but tosh, come back when you have some facts!

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 02 February 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#276 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

You're nearly as bad as Gav, so far all your assurances have proven to be nothing but tosh, come back when you have some facts!

Hey, I held my hands up yesterday and said it had gone too far (with Swinton & Warrington).

I was willing to be optimistic and give the system the benefit of the doubt because if used in the right way it could benefit everyone.

The way Swinton are abusing the system effectively makes them a feeder club.
Posted Image

#277 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hey, I held my hands up yesterday and said it had gone too far (with Swinton & Warrington).

I was willing to be optimistic and give the system the benefit of the doubt because if used in the right way it could benefit everyone.

The way Swinton are abusing the system effectively makes them a feeder club.

At least you've had the balls to admit you we're wrong Gav. It won't stop at Swinton either
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#278 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Cue new rules for next season, but this season is turning into a farce before a ball has been kicked. I wonder if Bulls will dual register Karl Pryce so if he starts playing well he will be back at the Bulls?

#279 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Fair play Gav, at least you haven't hidden away.

I take no pleasure from this, but I still can't believe people could not see this whole sorry mess unfolding months ago. It was so obvious, no team could risk relegation in to the bottom division financially, so there was only ever going to be one outcome.

As crazy as it sounds, the only hope for survival for the CH clubs is to break away and leave SL and if it also means waving goodbye to the £90k per season funding, then so be it.

It is not going to be easy for any club, playing budgets will be cut, and short term certainly the standard of rugby will not be as good, and yes players will switch codes and play Rugby Union for the money. I do not see any other way for clubs like York, Dewsbury and Batley etc. to survive even in the medium term. Certainly watching Warrington and Widnes 2nd teams posing as Swinton and Workington is not going to have any lasting appeal for supporters, the whole competition loses it's integrity.

I'm not altogether sure whether the drop in standard will be such the bad thing than some people fear. Although the quality of rugby is not as good, I'd far rather watch a close game between clubs in the CH, than watching the quality of say Wigan or Leeds stuffing London Bronco's by 60 points.

Personally, I'd go back to winter rugby and try to cash in on all the SL supporters who don't have games for the majority of a winter season, have the game run by an independent body, so clubs don't get to say what is best for the game as it proven in the RFL today, the game becomes corrupted by a few with more power than other clubs and decisions start to be based upon self interest rather than what is good for the game as a whole.

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 02 February 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#280 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Fair play Gav, at least you haven't hidden away.

I take no pleasure from this, but I still can't believe people could not see this whole sorry mess unfolding months ago. It was so obvious, no team could risk relegation in to the bottom division financially, so there was only ever going to be one outcome.

Forgive me but I feel that this is giving you great pleasure.

As crazy as it sounds, the only hope for survival for the CH clubs is to break away and leave SL and if it also means waving goodbye to the £90k per season funding, then so be it.

Yes it sound just as crazy as it did when you were saying it ages ago, long before DR became an issue. You just want a breakaway, admit it.

It is not going to be easy for any club, playing budgets will be cut, and short term certainly the standard of rugby will not be as good, and yes players will switch codes and play Rugby Union for the money. I do not see any other way for clubs like York, Dewsbury and Batley etc. to survive even in the medium term. Certainly watching Warrington and Widnes 2nd teams posing as Swinton and Workington is not going to have any lasting appeal for supporters, the whole competition loses it's integrity.

Dead in the water within 3 years. No gates to speak of leaving the simple costs of ground upkeep to be unaffordable.

I'm not altogether sure whether the drop in standard will be such the bad thing than some people fear. Although the quality of rugby is not as good, I'd far rather watch a close game between clubs in the CH, than watching the quality of say Wigan or Leeds stuffing London Bronco's by 60 points.

Check out the state of club RU in Wales for an example of what will happen to the quality, and more.

Personally, I'd go back to winter rugby and try to cash in on all the SL supporters who don't have games for the majority of a winter season, have the game run by an independent body, so clubs don't get to say what is best for the game as it proven in the RFL today, the game becomes corrupted by a few with more power than other clubs and decisions start to be based upon self interest rather than what is good for the game as a whole.

La La Land.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users