Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rams and Bulls announce link-up (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

I'd listen to what Glenn has to say about the link-up this morning before panicking too much.

Also bear in mind that If a player has the ambition to play in the Super League and is good enough to fulfil that ambition then he is likely to leave the club to pursue it, regardless of whether or not we are linked with Bradford.

#22 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Wonder what your reactions will be when you find about half your gameday squad will be bulls players. You're just a SL reserve team now.

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#23 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

What was your reaction when a St Helens player won you the Northern Rail Cup last year?

Does Chris Hill joining Warrington make you their feeder club?

#24 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Unfortunatly this is the state that aour great game is in. To remain financially viable, SL clubs are not running an under 20's competition next year, and instead they are being encouraged to form links with championship squads to sent players on dual reg/ loan to. For the SL club its perfect as it means that they can retain players, have them playing at a higher level of competition than acadamy offers, and the 'feeder' clubs pick up some of the bill on players wages. Unfortunnatly this is at the demise of the club they are linked with. Basically, you will be allowed up to 8 players from Bradford now, which undoubtedly you will use, as rivals with a similar link up with undoubtedly do. Think that the RFL bosses are looking at the Australian system, and think that is the future. Unfortunatly, it means the death of historical clubs likes of yourselves. But we all know that the RFL doesnt care about the championship, with its attitude of letting clubs go to the wall whilst bailing out SL compatraites.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#25 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

and the 'feeder' clubs pick up some of the bill on players wages.

Nope.

Unfortunnatly this is at the demise of the club they are linked with. Basically, you will be allowed up to 8 players from Bradford now, which undoubtedly you will use, as rivals with a similar link up with undoubtedly do.

Glenn is assembling a team of 24/25 Dewsbury Rams players. I will be very, very surprised if there are ever more than three Bradford players in the Rams squad on any given match day.

Think that the RFL bosses are looking at the Australian system, and think that is the future. Unfortunatly, it means the death of historical clubs likes of yourselves.

How exactly are we losing out? If a Rams player has ambitions to make it in the Super League and is talented enough to fulfil that ambition then the chances are he will leave. All this arrangement means is that Bradford will get first refusal on such players.

#26 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

How exactly are we losing out? If a Rams player has ambitions to make it in the Super League and is talented enough to fulfil that ambition then the chances are he will leave. All this arrangement means is that Bradford will get first refusal on such players.

So your happy to be a feeder club then. The agreement will mean that all Bradford players over the age of 18 who arent in the first team squad will be playing with yourselves. The same way that Swinton is being used by Warrington Wolves to develop their players. Both parties want something out of this deal, for yourselves its the chance to bring in SL players and use their training facilities, for Bradford its to let their young players develop.

#27 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

So your happy to be a feeder club then.

We're no more a feeder club for the Super League than any other team in the Championships.

We get first refusal on Bradford's fringe stars, and they get first refusal on our players ready to make the step up to the Super League.

The agreement will mean that all Bradford players over the age of 18 who arent in the first team squad will be playing with yourselves.

Glenn picks the Rams team, not Francis Cummins.

The same way that Swinton is being used by Warrington Wolves to develop their players. Both parties want something out of this deal, for yourselves its the chance to bring in SL players and use their training facilities, for Bradford its to let their young players develop.

You're more or less there.

Bradford benefit from this deal as they get first refusal on Dewsbury players who are ready and capable of making the step up to Super League.

We benefit from this deal as we get first refusal on Bradford players not selected for the Bulls first team squad.

#28 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Saints have announced a similar deal with Oldham, and their fans are in uproar about being a feeder club as well. Dont get me wrong im not condoing it by any stretch of the imagination, but you will be seen as Bradfords feeder club regardless of how you deny it. Im on your side with this, cause i fear it is the death knell for many Championship clubs.

#29 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'd listen to what Glenn has to say about the link-up this morning before panicking too much.

Also bear in mind that If a player has the ambition to play in the Super League and is good enough to fulfil that ambition then he is likely to leave the club to pursue it, regardless of whether or not we are linked with Bradford.

It's the sharing players bit that seems a bit airy fairy. If say Dale morton turns out to be a hot property coming up to an important game, and the Bulls have a wing problem, but can offer us plenty of props or back rowers - who gets priority ? In the past the bulls have given us nowt in terms of short term loans (OK Addy for a game and Crossley at the back end of 2011, but little else) and I can't see that changing. I'm still not convinced about the dual reg system - hood and Singleton looked completely disinterested last year, players who looked in fact, as though they felt they were too good for the likes of us ?

#30 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Saints have announced a similar deal with Oldham, and their fans are in uproar about being a feeder club as well.

It's a natural and understandable reaction, but when you consider the conditions behind the agreements then there really isn't anything to fear.

Dont get me wrong im not condoing it by any stretch of the imagination, but you will be seen as Bradfords feeder club regardless of how you deny it. Im on your side with this, cause i fear it is the death knell for many Championship clubs.

Again, it's a natural response, and many from outside the Bulls and Rams will be sceptical, but I think 'sounding the death knell' is a little premature.

It's little more than a formalised dual-registration agreement, not too dissimilar to the informal one Leigh have benefited from in recent years with Warrington.

#31 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

It's the sharing players bit that seems a bit airy fairy. If say Dale morton turns out to be a hot property coming up to an important game, and the Bulls have a wing problem, but can offer us plenty of props or back rowers - who gets priority ?

Hot properties will be snapped up by clubs in the Super League regardless of any partnership a club has. Zak Hardaker, Alex Walmsley and Chris Hill being three fairly recent examples.

The only difference from the Rams' perspective is that Bradford will get first refusal on such players ahead of other clubs in the Super League.

#32 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Having spoken to Stuart Duffy (Bradford Bulls football manager), I can confirm that Bradford must go through the same process any other Super League club wanting to sign a Championship player would if they wanted to sign any of our players.

If the Rams wanted a fee for a player the Bulls wanted then the Bulls would have to pay a fee.

Our players are also free to sign for other clubs should they wish to.

#33 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Having spoken to Stuart Duffy (Bradford Bulls football manager), I can confirm that Bradford must go through the same process any other Super League club wanting to sign a Championship player would if they wanted to sign any of our players.

If the Rams wanted a fee for a player the Bulls wanted then the Bulls would have to pay a fee.

I was thinking more about Bradford wanting to take players as a short term fix for injury problems - in the same way that SL clubs are able to recall dual regs at the drop of a hat.

#34 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

I was thinking more about Bradford wanting to take players as a short term fix for injury problems - in the same way that SL clubs are able to recall dual regs at the drop of a hat.

Which is my only worry about this agreement, which seems ok other than this point GOR as made? The club does this then we are a feeder club and WILL LOSE FANS but if our lads are contracted to us for the full season and cant just join the bulls at short notice, like if they have an injury, then aslong as this isnt the case the agreement seems ok to me. We cant be having our players going to bulls during the season, that would be a disgrace and would lose us fans!

I love DEWSBURY but im afraid if the club do what me and GOR are worried about then i wont be buying a season ticket nor attending games to be a feeder club but imsure this isnt the case Tom? Hopefuly you can confirm that all our players are contracted to us, so cant join the Bulls during the season?

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 04 October 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#35 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 849 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

So if bulls don't get first pick what do they get out of this deal. ?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#36 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

So if bulls don't get first pick what do they get out of this deal. ?

Their fringe players who aren't getting picked and are too old for the new Under-19s Academy competition will have the opportunity to play at a decent level instead of just kicking their heels on the sidelines.

Much like the benefits we'd get from a similar deal with Thornhill, Dewsbury Celtic and Shaw Cross.

#37 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Like I said, Bradford will have to go through the same process as any other Super League club if they want to sign our players. They can't cherry pick and snatch at the drop of a hat.

I think the pros and cons of the dual-reg system is a separate issue.

Which is my only worry about this agreement, which seems ok other than this point GOR as made? The club does this then we are a feeder club and WILL LOSE FANS but if our lads are contracted to us for the full season and cant just join the bulls at short notice, like if they have an injury, then aslong as this isnt the case the agreement seems ok to me. We cant be having our players going to bulls during the season, that would be a disgrace and would lose us fans!

I love DEWSBURY but im afraid if the club do what me and GOR are worried about then i wont be buying a season ticket nor attending games to be a feeder club but imsure this isnt the case Tom? Hopefuly you can confirm that all our players are contracted to us, so cant join the Bulls during the season?

See above.

#38 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

FAQ now live on the official site.

#39 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Tom. Well in that case the deals a good one and i dont see any problems at all.

Thanks for the answering the questions for the fans too mate. Good work :)

#40 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Tom. Well in that case the deals a good one and i dont see any problems at all.

Thanks for the answering the questions for the fans too mate. Good work :)

Thanks Chris.

When people are passionate about their club it's natural for them to feel suspicious about these kind of arrangements.

There are probably quite a few who still aren't convinced, but I'll try and answer (or find out the answer to) any more questions anyone has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users