League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rams and Bulls announce link-up (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#121 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Goodness :wacko: - my emotions seem to have run away with me. :o :unsure: :blink:

it's OK. It's taken me 44 years to come up with that.

#122 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

You've summed up my thoughts exactly on the subject Ackro, I am heartily sick of the "spanish trawler" system of hoovering up any vaguely talented youngsters, (and throwing the tiddlers back damaged and floundering), to a) Make sure they don't go anywhere else B) to provide academy squadfillers and c) to justify the need for an academy and a service area and all the coaches and hangers on that are required to run them. Of course your ideas are far too simple and sensible to ever be considered by either the RFL or the greedy s0ds in SL. :angry:

Just to add a little kindling, SL clubs are also looking at the probability of losing every southern hemisphere player with a bit of ability now that the monster sponsorship package has been agreed with the NRL. Add to that the shift in exchange rates between sterling and the Aussie dollar and the cream of UK players will also be drifting over there pretty smartly. Add to that the diminishing rate of production of players from the amateur ranks and SL clubs will be looking at any suitable players available.

All in the interests of the game, of course.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#123 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

Just to add a little kindling, SL clubs are also looking at the probability of losing every southern hemisphere player with a bit of ability now that the monster sponsorship package has been agreed with the NRL. Add to that the shift in exchange rates between sterling and the Aussie dollar and the cream of UK players will also be drifting over there pretty smartly. Add to that the diminishing rate of production of players from the amateur ranks and SL clubs will be looking at any suitable players available.

All in the interests of the game, of course.

They'll need to introduce another tier to keep the numbers up then - something like an an under 20's might suffice ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#124 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

After weeks of speculation, changes to the Academy structures have finally been confirmed. Is it the end to British Rugby League as we know it? I think not…

Give my blog a read if you like! :)
Posted Image

#125 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Two seasons ago I introduced your Cheerleaders to an new sponsorship source, and last year I attended some of your games when my team was not playing, and I have for some years made dewsbury a must away match to attend, despite not many travelling the other way!

I can honestly say that this will now change and its not a matter of sulking or taking my bat home. These tie ups are like are like a bullied child taking a beating then putting their hand out for a lift up off the bullies, perhaps hoping they will pick on someone else next time! In fact just strengthening the bullies position.

Hope you are prepared for when the wind turns again, and that you can enthuse the Dews public because, you will need all the home support you can get in the future.

Keep your eyes open for and undernourished Bull eating a sheep with a half eaten carrot in its mouth!

Edited by petesmithfan, 21 October 2012 - 10:52 AM.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#126 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

it's nowt to worry about. a bit like prescription charges and tuition fees.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#127 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Two seasons ago I introduced your Cheerleaders to an new sponsorship source, and last year I attended some of your games when my team was not playing, and I have for some years made dewsbury a must away match to attend, despite not many travelling the other way!

I can honestly say that this will now change and its not a matter of sulking or taking my bat home. These tie ups are like are like a bullied child taking a beating then putting their hand out for a lift up off the bullies, perhaps hoping they will pick on someone else next time! In fact just strengthening the bullies position.

Hope you are prepared for when the wind turns again, and that you can enthuse the Dews public because, you will need all the home support you can get in the future.

Keep your eyes open for and undernourished Bull eating a sheep with a half eaten carrot in its mouth!

What's the difference between being a feeder team for the bulls and being a feeder team for fev ? At least if one of our players makes the step up to SL we'll get a transfer fee - remind me what we got from fev apart from the middle digit. As for the disparity in numbers between the two groups of away supporters, we'll see how it pans out if the clubs with SL links benefit enough player wise to see fev at the other end of the table. It's easy to be an away supporter when your team is winning - not so easy when you've had three seasons of dismal, survival mode rugby. I think personally, the link up will make little difference on the player front - we've been down this road before.

#128 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

What's the difference between being a feeder team for the bulls and being a feeder team for fev ? At least if one of our players makes the step up to SL we'll get a transfer fee - remind me what we got from fev apart from the middle digit. As for the disparity in numbers between the two groups of away supporters, we'll see how it pans out if the clubs with SL links benefit enough player wise to see fev at the other end of the table. It's easy to be an away supporter when your team is winning - not so easy when you've had three seasons of dismal, survival mode rugby. I think personally, the link up will make little difference on the player front - we've been down this road before.

Mine was a genuine post. AMBITION thats why players came to us! and your club has further shown its lack of ambition with this tie up!!! Look at it long term you pleb

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#129 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Mine was a genuine post. AMBITION thats why players came to us! and your club has further shown its lack of ambition with this tie up!!! Look at it long term you pleb

Ambition thats brilliant.What ambition will they get at your place. Chance of a championship runners up medal.The truth is your paying silly money and its every players AMBITION to get the best deal he can..Truth his youve got your head in the clouds if you do make it you will have to depend on a decent away following. The long term is you PLEB that were more sound on a financial basis than probably all of the championship sides and a few in the famouse super league.You worry about your own club son were alrite.

#130 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

Ambition = to be in with a chance of winning things? if you want to cover this up with your skit about runners up fill your boots, just makes you look unable to proffer a proper argument!. And do not worry I will look after my own club old lad as will many more of us after comments like this. And you make the point for me, all this has done is dived this LEAGUE further and more of a everyman for themselves attitude.

And why is my head in the clouds, I never said anything about making SL i said ambition and as you quite rightly state that can mean more money, it can mean competing for cups, building the business etc. I would accept that should we ever get to super league we would be to some extent reliant on away support. But business models in sport are changing all the time, we own our ground, so no rent, all corporate income to us not vendors etc etc etc.

So good luck, like I say im disapointed that your club has chosen the easy path, instead of building the business up and affording to pay better wages to keep players.

You enjoy your carrot while it lasts :rolleyes:

Edited by petesmithfan, 21 October 2012 - 03:21 PM.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#131 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Another sad conspiracy theorist.

We are no feeder club but we are going to benefit from Super League's cost cutting exercise.
I presume Featherstone have no intention of recruiting any of the latest surplus of Academy players!
(Why would they when they can simply double the wages of any player they want to buy)

As for not having your head in the clouds, if you think Featherstone are anywhere near a viable financial proposition for Super League you better watch out for that A430 below you.
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#132 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

We are have been in some form of tie up with the Bulls for years and not much has changed player wise. So lets see before we condemn.

Players chase the money and Fev have more than the most at the moment and good luck to them.

As for ambition, if players wanted to win Grand Finals they would all be wanting to sign for Sheffield, but they don't offer as much money as Fev or Halifax, so the "ambitious" players sign for these clubs instead.

#133 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

As for ambition, if players wanted to win Grand Finals they would all be wanting to sign for Sheffield,

why;s that? they've won 1 we've won 1. they would have received more win bonuses playing for fev.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#134 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm very much against the partnership with the bulls however I can to a degree understand why mark sawyer and the other chairmen have done this.

On the otherhand I can understand why Fev haven't looked into this, as there chairman has hopes of obtaining SL status and has the cash to sign any lower end SL player or championship player he wishes.

I have watched the game long enough to know that unless Fev do get this promotion that the money they pump into the side will eventually dry up and who knows what will happen then. Maybe they will reach an agreement with Cas!!!
Posted Image

#135 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Sorry PSF but the sign of narrow-mindedness is to insult other fans who's views aren't the same as yours. I thought that you were making a reasonable point until this outburst.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#136 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

at the top of this forum you list a squad of 22 players. if your new partners beg/coerce/insist that 5 of their 8 players are in the 17 on matchday, that will leave 10 of your players without a game. i assume no play no pay. how will that sit. not saying it will happen, but could it.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#137 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

at the top of this forum you list a squad of 22 players. if your new partners beg/coerce/insist that 5 of their 8 players are in the 17 on matchday, that will leave 10 of your players without a game. i assume no play no pay. how will that sit. not saying it will happen, but could it.

Easy we only have to take who we need.Dont need dont have too have.

#138 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 879 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

I guess it could but 5 would be left out anyway. Some signed after the deal with Bradford so they knew what could happen and I would hope those that signed before were told what could happen. Its not ideal though.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#139 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Sorry PSF but the sign of narrow-mindedness is to insult other fans who's views aren't the same as yours. I thought that you were making a reasonable point until this outburst.

To be fair he got my goat with his side swipe at fev. I can assure of this I do not hold my view because fev are not buying into it.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#140 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Easy we only have to take who we need.Dont need dont have too have.

ok
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users