Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dallimore

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

I was never sure about that one to be honest .

Edited by DavidM, 10 October 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#22 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

I was never sure about that one to be honest . This is gonna be a real tough league for a controlling half . I think we need a more seasoned , proven one personally . The guy is promising but is only a year out of the reserves and didn't especially jump out down here as a wonder all round finished article. I think he's probably done the right thing giving himself another years development . A player who's done it at this or a higher level , here or down under , should be our target now with the top local amateurs to give a good mix .

Edited by DavidM, 10 October 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#23 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

If true the lad must lack ambition so we're probably better off without him

Not necessarily, its a lot of travelling and we have no idea of his job situation.

#24 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Its cos of his job Geordie... cant blame him.
Havent heard out about Brocklebank...we have 5 games left so will probably know more after them games..

#25 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

If it was because of his job why did he talk to Town in the first place? Surely he would've known it was a non-starter..... Unless it's just a convenient excuse....

#26 town88

town88
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

He maybe used town to get himself a better deal with Oldham no one knows
CLUB HONOURS championship Winners: 1950-51 Beaten Finalists: 1957-58 Challenge Cup Winners: 1951-52 - Beaten Finalists: 1954-55, 1957-58 Western Division Championship Winners: 1962-63 Lancashire cup winners 1977-78- Beaten finalists 1976-77, 197879, 197980 Second Division/Divisional Premiership Winners:1993-94 Beaten Finalists;1992-93.

#27 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

Good point! Never thought of that.

#28 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

oldest trick in the sporting book

#29 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

oldest trick in the sporting book

Sadly I have to say you are right. The longer this went on the more people were saying he was using us. It became pretty obvious that he wasn't going to sign for Town and he has probably done the right thing staying at Oldham. Right from the outset he said travelling was bit much so that should have been the end of it from our part.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#30 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

I would be trying to get jpb and Callum Phillips and let them alternate with playing with lupton next year, then forge there own partnership for the future.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#31 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Aye a couple of top amateurs and a name half would be nice to go with Lupton to give us our halves quota with , as I say , Forber as cover .With Luptons injury problems and amateurs coming into this level , however good , you'd want good depth .

Edited by DavidM, 10 October 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#32 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

' As long as there was a decent offer on the table I was always going to stay at Oldham . All I wanted from the start was the right deal ' . Dallimore today .

Edited by DavidM, 10 October 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#33 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Explains it all really.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#34 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

I can understand that some of you may be disappointed that Dally hasn't signed for you guys but I think some of the comments aimed at him are a bit harsh . As far as I am aware he did not ask Workington to make him an offer but when they did he gave it serious consideration but was honest enough from the outset to make it clear that the travelling was always going to be a problem ...Jamie is not the first player who has had to deal with this dilemma and he won't be the last . At the time he had not had an offer from Oldham so he would have been foolish to just turn down the offer from yourselves .He only received an offer from Oldham yesterday and he has decided to stay ... and I am delighted he has as I really rate him .If you read his reasons for staying on the Oldham website , money was not the only factor in his decision to stay so to suggest he was using you as a bargaining tool is simply not on .It looks like he has turned his back on better offers and stayed simply because personal happiness and loyalty matter to him .. and he also has a job locally to consider . Money is obviously important but in Jamie's case its not everything .So perhaps he should be applauded for his decision rather than having a go at him . I wish more players had a similar outlook to him rather than the mercenary attitude that some adopt .

In any event we need him more than you do !

Wish you all the best for next season.

#35 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Good post , hope you turn it round next season
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#36 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

As I said earlier, as soon as he mentioned the travelling was not to his liking many fans were saying that he didn't sound too committed. Better this way than him sign for Town and then get sick of travelling half-way through the season. Onwards and upwards.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#37 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

My point was that Annakin, Peterson, Walne etc had the commitment to travel and got the reward for it rather than take the easy option

#38 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

Did we offer to move the club closer to him ???

#39 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

My point was that Annakin, Peterson, Walne etc had the commitment to travel and got the reward for it rather than take the easy option

Difference being they are three young lads from super league clubs who were probably full time and had ambitions of playing super league. Dallimore is part time has a job and being realistic is never going to be a super league player so you cant compare there situations
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#40 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

How does he know he'll never be a super league player? If he thinks he won't he certainly never will be

Edited by GeordieTownie, 10 October 2012 - 07:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users