TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#41 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Who wins the Super League title?

The champions

Finishing top at the qualifying stage is not winning the league.

The league leaders shield surely recognises that you have finished first?....does finishing 1st constitue winning?.....I'd say yes

#42 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Pleased - Erm, rather! One better than last year, and as I've said elsewhere, a few less mistakes and we could have finished higher up the table as well, but to come from 4th and win the GF, doesn't get much better. Club can't have done any better on the field, and local development continues apace. We might even rejoin the big boys in SL one day, but slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Not pleased - . However, when it comes to getting punters in through the turnstiles, still not happening. No reason why not, although continuing to play in the soulless bowl that is DVS doesn't help. Need to make a huge push on the back of the GF. Changes to Internal Marketing will see the good work continue. Also got to make sure we have a decnet kicker now that Si Brown has played his last game for us.

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

#43 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Summed up perfectly i think Browny!

One point worth noting, I believe Rhys Evans got mom in the u20's final on Saturday.

Yep I did see that Dave, I would still like to have seen more of him in the first team. When he did play, he was all over the place defensively.

On that u20s win - which should actually have been on my list! - I believe Currie was absolutely immense.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#44 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Best season ever as a Wire fan
2nd Place
CC Winners
GF Only 5 days away ( Dream Land)
Under 20's Winning LLS and the Final
Beating Wigan home and away - 2/2 @ Langtree

Bulls staying in business!!!!

Seeing young players improve over the season - Hill a pleasure to watch, Ratchford, Myler, Cooper, McCarthy
The likes of Dywer, Currie giving us glimpses of the future!!

PM's from fellow posters wishing Wires well!!!!!!

Not so pleased with

Wires defeats at Salford & London - Need to show ALL clubs respect!!
Steve McManara being in charge of our National team - Needs to pick players in form, like he promised.

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 01 October 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#45 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

The champions

The league leaders shield surely recognises that you have finished first?....does finishing 1st constitue winning?.....I'd say yes

I think the clue is in the name, hey well done you were leading the league when it finished, this methods is accepted almost anywhere it is played - yank pseudo-rugby, nrl, afl, celtic league and actually most rugby union club comps, ice hockey, basketball - who are the only fans to moan in any great numbers - brit leaguies quelle bloody surprise!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#46 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

I have an inkling Rhys Evans may up at Odsal on loan next year.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#47 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Pleased

- Remi Casty 1st French player to make Dream Team
- Scott Dureau Goldthorpe Medal winner & 2nd appearance in DT
- French player leading try scorer Vincent Duport with 19 in total.
- five crowds over 10,000 for the first time
- Seasons goal reached with 4th spot
- The expressions of joy & relief from Leeds & Saints players/ coaches after winning at Brutus.Huge back handed compliment to what the Dragons have become in just 7 yrs
- SNCF organising a train taking nearly a 1,000 fans to Montpellier
- Last home game seeing whole press area packed out including three tv companies in tow Sky, BBC & Bein Sport
- New boutique

Disappointments

- Losing Trent Robinson
- Cup loss to Wire
- Injuries to Anderson & Menzies
- Dureau-Pryce pairing not dominant enough in the big crucial games
- Still not seeing video replays
- Seeing Ferriol bow out

Edited by audois, 01 October 2012 - 07:20 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#48 Bones

Bones
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Castleford Tigers

Pleased- that the seasons over.

Not pleased- the way many critics of our coach seemed to not understand that the death of a child will hurt so much that you won't be able to do your job properly for a long time

the poor example from some of our senior players and the manner in which some of the less experienced players seemed to be led by that example

the way that the club cannot organise anything properly off the field

Edited by Bones, 01 October 2012 - 12:53 PM.

Ramshackle punk rock covers for all the family..............www.facebook.com/kerpunkuk

#49 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

pleased we made the top 8

not pleased lost at wembley
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#50 Bluebags

Bluebags
  • Twitter
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

Pleased with the Newtown Jets finally winning their Grand Final!!!

Nothing else matters.

Would have liked to see Rochdale promoted...

#51 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Pleased with the Newtown Jets finally winning their Grand Final!!!

Nothing else matters.

Would have liked to see Rochdale promoted...

What he said...

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#52 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

Two teams to reflect on :)

EAGLES

Pleased with:
* Silverware! Winning the Championship GF at our second attempt… amazing result!
* Slight increase in attendances, showing the the Eagles marketing work is beginning to have some effect
* Doncaster being promoted so we can thrash them several times next season :D

Not pleased with:
* It's still hard work getting people in Sheffield to pay attention
* Lack of acknowledgement for our achievements in the Championship awards (again)
* Doncaster fans cheering on Fev, and on final day their Chairman saying that he would support Fev and not the Eagles as they're a "Yorkshire team" (geography not his strong point, obviously)

SONICS

Pleased with:
* Successful first season in tier 3 after a difficult start
* Beating league leaders (and eventual champs) Hemel at our place - massive shock!
* All the lads stepping up and proving they have what it takes to play at a higher level of amateur rugby
* Continuing junior work
* Successful second team season

Not pleased with:
* Not knowing what League we'll be in next year
* Being snubbed by the NCL and not being given a reason why
* Inward-looking attitude of London and SE clubs
* Lack of RFL development work in the SW now the development manager has left his post (with apologies to the Midlands RL staff who have taken us on, but are stretched enough as it is)
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#53 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

I think the clue is in the name, hey well done you were leading the league when it finished, this methods is accepted almost anywhere it is played - yank pseudo-rugby, nrl, afl, celtic league and actually most rugby union club comps, ice hockey, basketball - who are the only fans to moan in any great numbers - brit leaguies quelle bloody surprise!

Not wanting to wade too deeply into a completely irrelevant discussion, but the likes of American Football, Ice Hockey and Basketball all have divisional titles for the regular season so it kind of emphasises Riding Pie's point. All Riding Pie is saying in a clumsy way is that the SL regular season stage (i.e. the league) has a title to be won as well. The status is actually much less in terms of 'leaders' rather than 'champions' as in other sports, but to denigrate it as meaningless is self defeating to the sport. I have no axe to grind with regard to the positive occasion that a Grand Final is, due to the 'Champions' status being conferred to the winner of a top 8 end of season comp. However consequently the PR machine appears to have swung too far away from consistency over the course of the season as the mark of excellence. The move to the current top 8 structure doesn't help in offering no great advantage to the top 2 sides, unlike the previous system. In this regard, it favours short term form and fortune with injuries / suspension and is effectively an elite knock out comp in the latter stage of CC mode. In contrast, other sports utilising end of season playoffs are a fairer system entirely given they still adopt a principle based upon advancement through consistency (best of series) rather than one and done elimination rounds like SL that favours the probability of the 'shock' one off outcome.

It's a strange system where if Warrington win on Saturday, all of the final four will have lost one game in the playoffs, but the team that is fortunate enough to take that loss earliest is declared Champions.

Edited by giwildgo, 02 October 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#54 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

As my posting history shows I'm ignorant of most things when it comes to rugby.

You didn't win the Super League title, you didn't win Super League. You won a qualifying stage. Well done. It's meaningless.

League Leaders Shield & prize money
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#55 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

Yes that's right the league title, i.e. the title of Champions, are the team that wins the grand final, and I've never argued otherwise. And its far more prestigious to win that.

However, at the end of the league competition Wigan were top of the league. We won the league, nothing else.

If the team that finished sixth in Championship One had won the Grand Final they'd have been crowned Champions but wouldnt have been promoted with the others. That's how daft it is. Wigan won the league and should be the REAL Champions
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#56 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

The highlight of the season was Fev knocking SL opposition out of the Challenge Cup and giving the mighty Wigan a real scare in the next round.

#57 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,669 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

If the team that finished sixth in Championship One had won the Grand Final they'd have been crowned Champions but wouldnt have been promoted with the others. That's how daft it is. Wigan won the league and should be the REAL Champions

does that mean Dewsbury weren't the real champions in 73?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#58 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

does that mean Dewsbury weren't the real champions in 73?

In case any younger members doubt it, Stevo was a fantastic player.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#59 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,669 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

given the structure of the playoffs, if you can win thre grand final from sixth plaace or whwtever, then you are a championm side.
wasn't prom and rteg decided by play offs during one of its many manifestations?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#60 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

In case any younger members doubt it, Stevo was a fantastic player.

Aye he was. Obviously took a lot of hammer along the way.