Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

LEBANON RUGBY LEAGUE COMPLETE 2012 WORLD TOUR WITH COOK ISLANDS TEST

RLEF media release

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

LEBANON COMPLETES 2012 WORLD TOUR WITH COOK ISLANDS TEST

With around 400 days until the start of the 2013 Rugby League World Cup, Cook Islands - who face Wales, USA and Tonga in Group D - will take on Lebanon at the
Crest Stadium, Bankstown, Australia, next Sunday, 7th October, in a warm up Test.

The clash will mark the end of a sensational world tour for the Cedars - who narrowly missed out on WC qualification to Italy - having played a match on every
continent this year, a unique achievement in the sport's history.

They have already travelled to the Americas (facing Canada in August), Africa (Liban Espoir, the Under-20s, toured Morocco in July), Europe (Lebanon Under-18s played in
Belgrade's August Youth Festival), and Asia (Lebanon's Under-16s, Under-18s and Under-20s have all played home series this year).

Lebanon come up against the 15th-ranked, UK-bound Cooks Islands for only the second time, their first meeting being in Wales during the 2000 World Cup, a thrilling
clash that ended in a 22-all draw.

Cedars coach David Bayssari believes his charges have benefitted from undertaking such an extensive programme. "It's great to see new faces coming through the ranks
and filling in the spots of seniors who have stepped down," he said. "With our new elite program and technical department functioning we hope to begin our march to the
2017 World Cup with this game, and build from it".

Cook Islands coach David Fairleigh, who starred in Super League with St Helens, is keen to see his elite players in action in what is a rare opportunity to assemble
the side: "This game is good for our development leading into next year's World Cup," said the Newcastle assistant coach. "Since 2009 we have seen the Cook Islands
team grow from mainly Toyota Cup and NSW Cup players into NRL players. As the profile of Polynesian players grows in the NRL it's important for the game that the
Cook Islands maintain a profile on the international stage."

LRLF COO Remond Safi noted, "It is a great moment for Lebanese rugby league, with the Under-16s Harmony Cup the first event in which the LRLF is officially entering a
team in Australia on the Saturday. I look forward to seeing all the activities that are unfolding out in Sydney with a link created back to the homeland."

Sunday's game will be preceded by Liban Espoir v Cook Islands U20.

LEBANON 27-MAN SQUAD
Joe Constiani (Blactown City); Reece Robinson (Canberra), Daniel Bou Sleiman1,Anthony Semarani, Steve Azzi, Ray Moujalli (Canterbury Bulldogs); Abrahim Al Zakhem,
Toni Sassine (Hurstville United) ; Adham El Zabedieh, Anthony Farah, Eddy El Zabedieh (Mounties); Elias Sukkur (North Sydney); Ahmed Ellaz (Newtown Jets); Jason
Wehbe (Parramatta Eels), Josh Mansour, Travis Robinson (Penrith Panthers), Danny Barakat , Ben Elis, Casey Elis, (Cabramatta), Nadim Couri, Chris Salem (St John's
Eagles); Mohamed Merheb (Tripoli RLFC), Ahmed Hijazi, Cliff Nye, Jarroud Azar, James Boustani (Wentworthville), Andrew Kazzi (West Tigers), Chris Salem (St John)

COOK ISLANDS 18-MAN SQUAD
Aaron Nootai (Auckland Vulcans), Adam Tangata (Canberra), Drury Low, Tupou Sopoaga (Canterbury Bulldogs), Tyrone Viiga (Cronulla), Jeremiah Nia, Dominique Peyroux,
Japeth Vaoa (Gold Coast Titans), Zeb Taia, Zane Tetevano (Newcastle Knights), Nathaniel Peteru (NZ Warriors), Neccrom Areaiti (North Sydney Bears), Geoff Daniela
(Penrith Panthers), Monikura Tikinau (Redcliff Dolphins), Lulia Lulia (Shell Harbour), Tinirau Arona, Chris Taripo (Sydney Roosters), Isaac John (Wakefield)

LEBANON U16 TRAIN-ON SQUAD
Ali Ali, Victor Barakat, Jame Elias, Jason el Jalkh, Edgar Hannah, Habib Jourieh, Bernard Kariouz Omar Makouk, Nasser Merhi, George Mouwad, Michael Sterling
(Bankstown Bulls), Jet Jarvis (Cronulla Carigbah), Eyad Hijiad (Dragons), Adham Soultan, Mohamed Soultan (ESA Eagle Vale St Andrews), Brandon Boumelhem, Anthony El
Helou (Greystones Devils), Abdullah Issa, Nathan Farah (Kingsgrove Colts), Ibrahim Elbash, Ali Ellaz, Kassem Masri (Greenacre Tigers), Khoda Mitmari (Regents Park
Pumas), Ali Redah Saleh (Revesby Heights Rhinos), George Azzi (Riverwood Legion), Elie Adouni, Joshua Bakhos (St Johns Eagles), Dylan Makdessi (Parramatta City
Titians), Mason Dovelni

PHIL CAPLAN
RLEF MEDIA OFFICER

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Great effort from the Lebanese in facilitating so many international opportunities, especially given the massive expenses associated with airfares, hotels, and organising training facilities.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#3 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

Great effort from the Lebanese in facilitating so many international opportunities, especially given the massive expenses associated with airfares, hotels, and organising training facilities.

Absolutely spot on and what a great opportunity these tours have been for the lebanese boys and what committment to the international game from the LRL. Nice to see a once criticism knocked off - play league and travel to canada, jamaica, US, France, Serbia, australia etc. Amazing.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#4 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,302 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Absolutely spot on and what a great opportunity these tours have been for the lebanese boys and what committment to the international game from the LRL. Nice to see a once criticism knocked off - play league and travel to canada,Denmark, jamaica, US, France, Serbia, australia etc. Amazing.

Yes.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#5 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

If you look at the Lebanese squad the travelling and accomodation expenses will be minimal as virtually all of them are based in Sydney where the game's being played. I can only see one team represented (Tripoli RLFC) that is not a Sydney team. The squad is made up of Australians of Lebanese heritage rather than Lebanese players based in Sydney.

Edited by deluded pom?, 01 October 2012 - 04:00 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,613 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

If you look at the Lebanese squad the travelling and accomodation expenses will be minimal as virtually all of them are based in Sydney where the game's being played. I can only see one team represented (Tripoli RLFC) that is not a Sydney team. The squad is made up of Australians of Lebanese heritage rather than Lebanese players based in Sydney.

That thought did cross my mind. It certainly doesn't seem to be the same squad that played the Canada game...so is it actually Lebanon? :unsure:

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#7 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

If Lebanon had made next year's WC, they would've named a squad full of Aussie based players anyway, and this will be the case if they make it in 2017 as well. The good thing is that they are putting in the hard work in Lebanon itself, and taking the Lebanese guys to places like Canada will do the development of the game there no end of good. But it will be a long term project, so they will have to use heritage players when they need to.

Interesting to see how the Cooks shape up in this one. Not sure whether this squad will be greatly different to the one they bring over next year - there are a couple of names I recognise in there, but I wonder who they might be able to get with a WC place on offer. As ever with the Pacific Island teams, its just a pity they dont get to play more regular games.

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,613 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

But don't we then just end up (in effect) with two Lebanon teams? One from Lebanon, the other from Sydney which plays all the big games. This sounds pretty bogus to me. I liked the look of the Lebanon team that played against Canada.

Surely better to have this team lose 100-0 than have a bunch of ringers playing when convenient?

#9 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

But don't we then just end up (in effect) with two Lebanon teams? One from Lebanon, the other from Sydney which plays all the big games. This sounds pretty bogus to me. I liked the look of the Lebanon team that played against Canada.

Surely better to have this team lose 100-0 than have a bunch of ringers playing when convenient?

To be honest, the same could be said for the likes of Samoa and Tonga and many other nations. When they do play outside of WC's, the team is very different to that which turns up for the big event. The problem is I don't think you could have a 14 team WC without using heritage players. It's going to take many, many years to get some of these nations up to a decent standard, so the only way to get round it is by using heritage players.

This goes back to my old argument that we need some sort of Residents World Cup for developing nations using only local players. But if we're going to have a 10, 12, 14 team WC, you're going to see teams packed with heritage players for a long time to come. I'm not convinced how the developing nations can ever get up to the standard of the top nations without local players having access to a professional league set up.

And of course when you get the likes of England, with a fully professional league to choose players from, picking guys with Aussie accents on the basis they've got an English dad or whatever, you can hardly blame developing nations from going down the same route.

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,613 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

TBH, I'm not really disagreeing with you, what you say is true.

There's nothing wrong with picking someone with an Aussie accent though, if they have English parentage. But they should then stick with that country and not be allowed to dip in & out.

#11 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

The Italians will be doing the same thing. This is why comps like the EC need to be linked to WC qualification so that the likes of Italy will have to use their heritage players rather than simply wheeling them out for a separate WC qualification process but then going back to relying on domestic players for other tournaments e.g EC/ES.

rldfsignature.jpg

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,613 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

The Italians will be doing the same thing. This is why comps like the EC need to be linked to WC qualification so that the likes of Italy will have to use their heritage players rather than simply wheeling them out for a separate WC qualification process but then going back to relying on domestic players for other tournaments e.g EC/ES.

Spot on. Any likelihood of this happening?

Edited by Johnoco, 02 October 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#13 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Good idea, but it won't happen because the pro clubs don't like releasing players for anything other than a WC or a 4N tournament. Look at all the operations, injuries and 'rests' that England have had to deal with in naming a squad for this autumns series.

I also suspect some of the players themselves aren't that interested in playing in anything other than the big tournaments. Lee Briers is a good example - he 'retired' when Wales failed to make the 2008 WC, but came out of retirement in time for Wales to qualify for the 2011 4Nations.

#14 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Spot on. Any likelihood of this happening?

Nope.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#15 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Good idea, but it won't happen because the pro clubs don't like releasing players for anything other than a WC or a 4N tournament. Look at all the operations, injuries and 'rests' that England have had to deal with in naming a squad for this autumns series.

You're probably right but if that happens then it will even the field up more for the likes of Russia and Serbia who don't have anything like the same number of heritage players as some other countries do.

I also suspect some of the players themselves aren't that interested in playing in anything other than the big tournaments. Lee Briers is a good example - he 'retired' when Wales failed to make the 2008 WC, but came out of retirement in time for Wales to qualify for the 2011 4Nations.

Then if they sit back and wait their country of heritage might not be in the mix to qualifiy for a WC because they failed to compete in the EC and so were dropped back to the ES in a qualification year. They'd need to be in the EC the year of a WC qualification precess or they wouldn't have the chance to qualify from the ES.

rldfsignature.jpg

#16 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

I wouldn't disagree with anything you've said DP, but it won't happen. But something does need to be done to help the nations that can't call on legions of heritage players lurking in Sydney.

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

I wouldn't disagree with anything you've said DP, but it won't happen.

I thought the RLEF had already suggested something along these lines a couple of months back.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

I thought the RLEF had already suggested something along these lines a couple of months back.

Now you mention it, they did didn't they? That's what happens when you type without engaging the brain at the same time. :D I guess a lot will depend on the format of future World Cup's - I know there's been talk of reducing the number involved if (as seems likely) Australia host the 2017 tournament. If there are less places up for grabs, and if we have everyone bar the semi finalists from next years tournament actually having to qualify for 2017, I imagine it would make the EC a damn sight more interesting. And with proper quailfying, we'd get a return of the Pacific Cup. The qualifiers for the 2008 WC were the best we've had - a return to something along those lines would be excellent.

Edited by thirteenthman, 03 October 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#19 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Now you mention it, they did didn't they? That's what happens when you type without engaging the brain at the same time. :D I guess a lot will depend on the format of future World Cup's - I know there's been talk of reducing the number involved if (as seems likely) Australia host the 2017 tournament. If there are less places up for grabs, and if we have everyone bar the semi finalists from next years tournament actually having to qualify for 2017, I imagine it would make the EC a damn sight more interesting. And with proper quailfying, we'd get a return of the Pacific Cup. The qualifiers for the 2008 WC were the best we've had - a return to something along those lines would be excellent.

They shouldn't be talking about reducing the numbers of teams in the WC final. Just the opposite. The growth of international RL is amazing and the two three teamm groups in next years WC is a farce. We should, at the very least, add two teams to make four groups of 4 in the finals.

#20 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

They shouldn't be talking about reducing the numbers of teams in the WC final. Just the opposite. The growth of international RL is amazing and the two three teamm groups in next years WC is a farce. We should, at the very least, add two teams to make four groups of 4 in the finals.

Bear in mind this is the Aussies we're talking about - the people who took the WC down to just 10 teams in 2008. In their defence it was a pretty good tournament, and I actually thought the structure worked quite well (I know many will argue that point). But they are over cautious when it comes to Internationals, and once Channel 9 have their input into what would work for them (probably as few games as possible, all involving Australia) I genuinely can't see it being any more than next year. Hopefully common sense will prevail and they'll at least stick with 14 teams. Of course, it would be nice to think that all this would be sorted out soon, so everyone knows where they stand.

The problem for me this time is the lack of a proper qualifying tournament. The fact that 12 teams (I think) automatically qulaified is ridiculous. I'm not suggesting the likes of Ireland, Scotland or the Cook Islands don't deserve to be there, but I would've preferred to see teams such as these having to qualify through some sort of tournament.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users