RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Don't look back in anger

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#21 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

Don't get me wrong,I'm not in agreement with the format but we all know the crack. It's all about the grand final. If it was all about the league shield fev wouldn't have won it 3 years on the bounce

I agree but in that case would you be happy on your team saving money just to get the sixth spot and giving the play offs a crack? Ive been entertained by my team this year and not many clubs in our league can say the same. Ok we lost the 2 finals but i think we have been the most entertaining and the biggest support of championship rugby this year our guys should be proud they have made our fans and our league stand up and be appreciated.

#22 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

I disagree if you win the league you are champions IMO whether its us or anyone else.In every other sport if you win the league you are champions why should our sport be any different just because of the fools at the RFL.

That may be your opinion Gaz. BUT, I would suggest that sheffield are regarded as champions by the RFL, the Media, Our chairman, our bank managers, our sponsors, our oponents etc etc.
You may wish to deal witht he loss by considering that finishing top of the league somehow eases the pain of losing yet another final and if that's how you manage that disappointment, fair enough.
BUT, that's how the competition is set up. You win the league, you get a few quiad (which before last year you didn't even get anything other than the plate), and an easier route through the playoffs. To win the championship you then have to win the playoffs. We aren't champions. Sheffield are. They peaked bang at the right time and beat us fairly and squarely yesterday.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#23 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

and the bit about every other sport in this country being decided by league winners is incorrect Gaz!

#24 FevDean32

FevDean32
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

I disagree if you win the league you are champions IMO whether its us or anyone else.In every other sport if you win the league you are champions why should our sport be any different just because of the fools at the RFL.

The league winners in the top two leagues in pro rl haven't been champions since 1997.
In the pre-liscensing days the team from 6th could have even been promoted before the league winners too.

#25 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Why would winning yesterday be bigger than winning the league leaders shield , if it was for promotion to super league then it would ,but it doesn,t,

#26 FevDean32

FevDean32
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Why would winning yesterday be bigger than winning the league leaders shield , if it was for promotion to super league then it would ,but it doesn,t,

Because like it or not thats what is more recognised by the rfl when they look at sucess on the field.

#27 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Because like it or not thats what is more recognised by the rfl when they look at sucess on the field.

who gives a to@@ what the rl think ,weve proved were the top most consistant team outside of super league,a babboon can see that .

#28 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Dydo.
Ask the players, the media, the rfl, the cubs bod, our opposition, our bank managers etc etc which is the most important.

#29 sussex rover

sussex rover
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Don't get me wrong,I'm not in agreement with the format but we all know the crack. It's all about the grand final. If it was all about the league shield fev wouldn't have won it 3 years on the bounce

how can you say that we finished top on merit

#30 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Dydo.
Ask the players, the media, the rfl, the cubs bod, our opposition, our bank managers etc etc which is the most important.

If we tossed it off through the season an just won a couple of days out ,im sure the difference in home attendance reciepts wouldnt impress our bank manager ,or the fans who watch week in week out.

#31 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

Winning a grand final would mean we would have had to have at least finished in the top six so one would have thought 'tossing it off' was a non-starter???
Like I said, - not that anyone should take any notice of my ramblings at all, BUT - ask the players, coach or chairman which they think is BY FAR the most important?

I know the answer to that question by the way!!!! :(

Edited by Robin Evans, 01 October 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#32 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Winning a grand final would mean we would have had to have at least finished in the top six so one would have thought 'tossing it off' was a non-starter???
Like I said, - not that anyone should take any notice of my ramblings at all, BUT - ask the players, coach or chairman which they think is BY FAR the most important?

I know the answer to that question by the way!!!! :(

whoope doo I CAN WRITE IN CAPITALS TOO , SHOUTING INT IT

Edited by dydo, 01 October 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#33 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

emphasis Dydo, emphasis! :wink:
I don't shout.

#34 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

how can you say that we finished top on merit

Ah ! The importance of punctuation.

The exact opposite of ...

"How can you say that ? We finished top on merit."

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#35 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

emphasis Dydo, emphasis! ;)
I don't shout.

ha ha , I heard a few thousand shouting champions before the game yesterday ,they know the true meaning of the word ,not the rfl , footballs the biggest sport in this country an they know the true meaning,and criteria for champions ,an it isn,t some lottery at the end of a hard season ,the bent formats to blame, not our differing thoughts on the matter.

Edited by dydo, 01 October 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#36 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Jesus H griff, haven't you got any number to add up?
Dydo and me may see things slightly differently. Doesn't need thee sticking thi neb in in that tedious irritating way! Bug ger off!

Edited by Robin Evans, 01 October 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#37 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

who gives a to@@ what the rl think ,weve proved were the top most consistant team outside of super league,a babboon can see that .

Are you kidding me?

The champions are determined by the winners of the Grand Final, were not champions because we got the minor premiership.

Cummins Out.

#38 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

Are you kidding me?

The champions are determined by the winners of the Grand Final, were not champions because we got the minor premiership.

Kidding you ! ,no theres only the pathetic excuse for a system that virtually says a seasons worth of rugby doesnt account for owt ,but winning a few games in a row gets you the name champions thats KIDDING you . thiis season wed have qualified for this p pot of a play off system even if wed have only won 9 of our 18 games .end of my rant im going green :rolleyes:

Edited by dydo, 01 October 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#39 sussex rover

sussex rover
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

Ah ! The importance of punctuation.

The exact opposite of ...

"How can you say that ? We finished top on merit."

if i wanted my post marking i would of took it to school

#40 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Kidding you ! ,no theres only the pathetic excuse for a system that virtually says a seasons worth of rugby doesnt account for owt ,but winning a few games in a row gets you the name champions thats KIDDING you . thiis season wed have qualified for this p pot of a play off system even if wed have only won 9 of our 18 games .end of my rant im going green :rolleyes:

The play off system appears very popular with SkY, THE RFL and the clubs tho Dydo.
I agree with you here. There is more emphasis put on the playoffs compared with a full seasons graft to get to, and stay top. Up until last year there wasn't even any prize money for the league leaders title - all the emphasis (word of the day) is now on the GF. Perhaps not as we would like it, but others do. That's how the competition is configured and we've failed to win it. Gutted, morngy and in a proper strop!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users