Get a grip

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 roosterbooster

roosterbooster
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

I understand people's frustrations at not winning the Grand Final, but I sometimes wonder about some people's sanity on here.

Take a step back and look at the season as a whole.

We had a superb game against C*s, and showed great credibility in the game against Wigan.
We became 'European Champions' beating the French Champions.
We reached the Northern Rail Cup Final - a step further than we managed the previous season.
We won the league for the third successive season.
We reached the Grand Final for the third successive season.

Off the field great strides have been made in the community and within the club.
Attendances are up 38% on the previous season.
Work is ongoing to upgrade the stadium.

We have made excellent signings so far - in retaining the quality that we already have, and strengthening other areas.

Just because we have lost a couple of finals doesn't make us a bad team or 'chokers' as some are unfairly labelling us. This has been a cracking season, where other teams have lifted their skills and abilities to match ours - and fair play to them. In both finals, both Halifax and Sheffield played better than us and deserved to win. Next season might be a different story. We will just have to wait and see...

Up the Rovers!!

#2 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,267 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Winning the league gets you nowt other than a plate and an easier route through the playoffs rooster. up to last year there wasn't even any prize money being league leaders.
We have two comps we can realistically win. the nrc and the co-op championship.
Does 1 out of the 6 available trophies during the last 3 yr period represent a good return given the investment in the team??

Edited by Robin Evans, 01 October 2012 - 07:09 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#3 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

All I can say is cast your mind back 7 years we could not even win a raffle

#4 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,267 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

correct we couldn't John. Then Mark, Andy et al got involved and some serious investment has gone into the team. We've moved on better than anyone could have possibly have predicted.
But I will ask you the same question.... no right or wrong answer because it's down to opinions BUT, the question is indeed loaded.
Do you think that given the investment in the team this last 3 years, 1 out of 6 trophies is a reasonable return John??

#5 FevDean32

FevDean32
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Good point about the investment, at the moment 1 out of 6 is not good enough, i don't know the figures spent so can't comment on how much.
But with crowds up and more and more sponsorship coming in then that has to be a reasonable return.
So on the field with trophies won then no but for entertainment and off the field then i'd say yes.

#6 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Our club better than any knows investment dose not = cups (remember 83) I have enjoyed the Rugby over the past 3 years we are now at least getting into finals, I still have faith in DP and his team. We have no God given right to win finals and thats what makes watching Fev all the more interesting :rolleyes:

#7 peterworth

peterworth
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

Do you think that given the investment in the team this last 3 years, 1 out of 6 trophies is a reasonable return...??

That's one interesting question, but in my opinion others are equally valid, such as:
Do you think that, given the investment in the team this last 3 years, finishing top of the league each year is a reasonable return?

#8 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

You will win it next year , and everything else as well. That is of course unless the rl gods slap your bottoms for being a naughty little featherstone .

#9 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,267 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

That's one interesting question, but in my opinion others are equally valid, such as:
Do you think that, given the investment in the team this last 3 years, finishing top of the league each year is a reasonable return?

but finishing top ddoes not make you champs does it? Winning the gf does. winning the nrc final wins you that cup. the only two comps we realistically play for. we've won 1/6 in 3 years with the biggest playing budget in the league.... by some.
I don'tt know. it feels like massive under achievement to me, that's why i ask the question.
I would have hoped for more given what's gone in the club since 09.

Edited by Robin Evans, 01 October 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#10 ruggerbeleeg

ruggerbeleeg
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Also other sides have been investing as well, maybe not as much as Rovers or as successfully as Rovers but no one is going to roll over, the others are in it to win it.
Would not any progress / achievement or return need to be measured against the rest of the field afterall it's not a one horse race and I don't think anyone would want it to be.
In this sense Rovers have had a better return than any other side in the comp and are as well as or better placed for this to continue.
Many have said on several forums that we have a great comp with Fev out in front when it comes to consistency and finnishing top of the league.
Lkewise it has been said and is the case that there are a few other sides not too far behind who on their day can beat any of the others and that's what has happened.
Eagles have hit a purple patch in form with virtually a full strength side just at the right time getting past Batley,Fax, Leigh and now Fev.
Remarkable achievment for anyone to do.
It was anyones game yesterday right up untill the last I think the biggest factor was the weather, as the rain came down it suited the Eagles better.

Edited by ruggerbeleeg, 01 October 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#11 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

but finishing top ddoes not make you champs does it? Winning the gf does. winning the nrc final wins you that cup. the only two comps we realistically play for. we've won 1/6 in 3 years with the biggest playing budget in the league.... by some.
I don'tt know. it feels like massive under achievement to me, that's why i ask the question.

Fully agree, Robin. IMO it all boils down to coaching. DP has the obvious ability to recognize the players he requires, but we appear to fail at times on the park. We seem incapable of altering our style of play to suit the circumstances and lack leadership on the field. We cannot live on past performances and if we are to hold on to our following, plus attract new members, we have to be the best. There were quite a few "new" followers on the coach who stated on the return journey that they would not be attending further games. On paper, we have a team that should be putting everything away that is placed before them. Apart from the few odd exceptions, we do not appear to be able to raise our game when it is required of us. Sundays performance was unfair to the loyal supporter and to the people we are hoping to attract, not to mention our sponsors. No doubt I will bring the wrath of the gods about my ears, so I may as well also state that we have certain players, who, IMO, think that they are better than they really are.

#12 sussex rover

sussex rover
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

correct we couldn't John. Then Mark, Andy et al got involved and some serious investment has gone into the team. We've moved on better than anyone could have possibly have predicted.
But I will ask you the same question.... no right or wrong answer because it's down to opinions BUT, the question is indeed loaded.
Do you think that given the investment in the team this last 3 years, 1 out of 6 trophies is a reasonable return John??

the people putting the investment in the club must think so not heard anything about investers pulling out

#13 peterworth

peterworth
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

This is, fundamentally, where I have a different perspective to you. I don't disagree with any of your factual statements regarding what the RFL currently believe are success criteria. I don't agree with some of them, but what do I matter. And yes, yesterday's loss hurt, as it should, otherwise there's no point supporting your team.
However, in the 50 years I've been watching Featherstone I don't remember our league performances being anywhere near as consistent as they have been for the past 3 years. And I don't remember the off-field commercial performance being anywhere near its current state.
So, yes, I feel the recent underachievement in finals, but it doesn't feel massive to me. My abiding memory of this season will be the performance against Wigan and I don't think winning yesterday would have changed that.

#14 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

I've heard of another 600k coming in, from new investors who were there yesterday.
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#15 sussex rover

sussex rover
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

I've heard of another 600k coming in, from new investors who were there yesterday.

the futures bright :)

#16 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'm as disappointed as most fans after yesterday, and I would agree that over the 3 year period, we should perhaps have done better than we have in terms of winning the key trophies. Having said that, we have no devine right to win everything (or indeed anything!) and imo, yesterday the team that deserved the win the most was the one lifting the trophy.

In the big games that have come down to fairly small margins (two GFs, one NRC final, one NRC semi), for one reason or another, we have come up short. I guess the key question is then Robin, what is required to resolve that?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#17 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,267 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

the people putting the investment in the club must think so not heard anything about investers pulling out

Must they? Again, I don't want to speak for other. Perhaps a mail or a conversation witht he sponsors or the club chairman may give you some clarity on that and their views upon yesterdays game.

Edited by Robin Evans, 01 October 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#18 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

Must the? Again, I don't want to speak for other. Perhaps a mail or a conversation witht he sponsors or the club chairman may give you some clarity on that and their views upon yesterdays game.

Ok we have lost 2 finals robin and some income but im sure we have made more money this year than last year so IMO its a plus.We get money for coming runners up in both cup finals and for winning the league.Also our attendances are up from last year so im sure our chairman wont be too worried because IMO we are progressing at a rate of knots year in year out.We have gone one better this year IMO by making every final for the first time in decades.

#19 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,267 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

In the big games that have come down to fairly small margins (two GFs, one NRC final, one NRC semi), for one reason or another, we have come up short. I guess the key question is then Robin, what is required to resolve that?

and there's the rub Gaz. What is indeed required. If I had the answer I'd be an administrator of the sport or a coach. As it is I'm a nurse and as such my opinions are valid but not as experiential as others are!
All I would advocate is that the Status Quo is not maintained. We have repeatedly come up short and "in my opinion", given the finance/resource put into 'on field' operations, that isn't good enough. No NRCs and only 1GF in 3 yrs given whats available to FRRLFC is short of what I expected. Maybe my bar is too high?? But that's how I feel.

#20 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,267 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Ok we have lost 2 finals robin and some income but im sure we have made more money this year than last year so IMO its a plus.We get money for coming runners up in both cup finals and for winning the league.Also our attendances are up from last year so im sure our chairman wont be too worried because IMO we are progressing at a rate of knots year in year out.We have gone one better this year IMO by making every final for the first time in decades.

we made nowt from the NRC Gaz and yesterdays loss has cost us dearly.
Last year we won the co-operative championship but failed int he NRC. This year we've won neither.
There are indeed many other positives the club are making. The off field stuff is going at a right lick. The stadium work has commenced and sponsors like a winning team .... more telly exposure n stuff.
Your opinions are your opinions Gaz. No less valid than my sulky drivel even if I do disagree with some of them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users