Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Get a grip

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

and there's the rub Gaz. What is indeed required. If I had the answer I'd be an administrator of the sport or a coach. As it is I'm a nurse and as such my opinions are valid but not as experiential as others are!
All I would advocate is that the Status Quo is not maintained. We have repeatedly come up short and "in my opinion", given the finance/resource put into 'on field' operations, that isn't good enough. No NRCs and only 1GF in 3 yrs given whats available to FRRLFC is short of what I expected. Maybe my bar is too high?? But that's how I feel.

It is the $64m question of course. Undoubtedly, everyone will have an opinion, all equally valid, if not agreed with. The key ones are those of the BOD & possibly the coaching staff. I agree that something needs to change however if we are to continue to improve; despite yesterdays result, I do still feel that the club as a whole continues to progress, however standing still would lead to falling behind as other clubs also improve. I have my views as to potential areas for improvement, as I'm sure you do.

One thing I do think that a lot of our fans on here seem to miss however is the quailty of performances that we face. I'm glad to see that we don't appear to have gone down the route of "ref bashing" after yesterday, however the majority of comments seem to be about how we "choked", poor individual performances, etc. Yes, it might not have been our finest game, however to me, that was because of how well Sheffield played, and nullified our attacking prowess. Given the conditions, it was great to see the handling of both teams in the main was excellent, especially the length of the field try that Sheffield scored. Congratulations to them, on the day, they deserved the win.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#22 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

we made nowt from the NRC Gaz and yesterdays loss has cost us dearly.
Last year we won the co-operative championship but failed int he NRC. This year we've won neither.
There are indeed many other positives the club are making. The off field stuff is going at a right lick. The stadium work has commenced and sponsors like a winning team .... more telly exposure n stuff.
Your opinions are your opinions Gaz. No less valid than my sulky drivel even if I do disagree with some of them!

I agree with your post robin but i see us improving every season and how many other clubs in our league can say the same? I mean we seem to go one better every season we hav'nt won a final this year but i see it as we have improved from last year as we have made an extra final than we did last year but like i say its just my opinion though like yours.Also im very grateful we make the finals never mind winning them.

Edited by thundergaz, 01 October 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#23 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

All I would advocate is that the Status Quo is not maintained. We have repeatedly come up short and "in my opinion", given the finance/resource put into 'on field' operations, that isn't good enough. No NRCs and only 1GF in 3 yrs given whats available to FRRLFC is short of what I expected. Maybe my bar is too high?? But that's how I feel.

Robin this post makes sense but not once in here have you mentioned DP dont get me wrong i think hes a great coach but i dont think all the responsability should be on the players.When i saw the team yesterday i thought DP had dropped a clanger before we even kicked off yesterday.Im not having a go at DP as i think hes great but i think he should take some blame too not just the players IMO.

#24 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Publicly calling for anyone's head is not my style. These are people's livelihoods, decent folk and our rugby club.
What I am suggesting is that the club, coaching team and BoD have a civilised inquest and identify
a) what went wrong in the NRC and yesterday,
b ) what/who are the right people to put it right and
c) how do we finish off the job that we've all spent all season working towards???
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#25 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Publicly calling for anyone's head is not my style. These are people's livelihoods, decent folk and our rugby club.
What I am suggesting is that the club, coaching team and BoD have a civilised inquest and identify
a) what went wrong in the NRC and yesterday,
b ) what/who are the right people to put it right and
c) how do we finish off the job that we've all spent all season working towards???

A} We missed ellis big time IMO so that answers that for me.Kaye cant do the full 80 as we saw.
B} The people that are here right now will get it right IMO.
C} Their is only one person that knows this and its DP and im in no doubt he will get it right and when he does im confident of the trophies rolling in just my opinion though.

Edited by thundergaz, 01 October 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#26 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

The thing about Powell is that if it goes wrong, he'll look for a way to fix it.

Other teams are playing with bigger packs against our pack dominated game, need to figure out another way.

Cummins Out.

#27 sussex rover

sussex rover
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

we have to keep the faith i know how all are supporters are hurting after yesterday but remember all the happy times we had last season which was nearly every game we played chin up everyone and lets look forward to another great season

#28 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

we have to keep the faith i know how all are supporters are hurting after yesterday but remember all the happy times we had last season which was nearly every game we played chin up everyone and lets look forward to another great season

Great post i think next year will be a realy good season for us im realy excited to seeing our new signings take to the pitch as i think our squad will be alot stronger next season with these new signings just wish dom was staying as i think hes been our stand out forward all season for me.Also with a long pre season behind him im hopeing DP makes ingy into our new tonka thats my new years res :lol:

Edited by thundergaz, 01 October 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#29 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

A} We missed ellis big time IMO so that answers that for me.Kaye cant do the full 80 as we saw.
B} The people that are here right now will get it right IMO.
C} Their is only one person that knows this and its DP and im in no doubt he will get it right and when he does im confident of the trophies rolling in just my opinion though.

You may be correct on all counts Gaz. I sincerely hope you are. But, it really does need properly re-assessing than any knee jerk reaction.
Crack on eh?

#30 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Robin owd cocker, sometimes thy makes morrisey look like timmy mallett. this is sport, there are no gaurantees regardless of how much is invested. i have my own thoughts about whats needed, we all do, but thats for others to sort out.i'm sure our chairman will make his feelings known to the relevant people, he's not shy.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#31 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

You may be correct on all counts Gaz. I sincerely hope you are. But, it really does need properly re-assessing than any knee jerk reaction.
Crack on eh?

I totally agree robin but i dont think anything drastic needs to be done.I mean we made 2 finals and won the league IMO thats a fantastic season for me.I just think we need a few tweaks here and their thats all just to make the final step.But like i said when we get over that hurdle i personally see trophy after trophy coming are way.

#32 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

Robin owd cocker, sometimes thy makes morrisey look like timmy mallett. this is sport, there are no gaurantees regardless of how much is invested. i have my own thoughts about whats needed, we all do, but thats for others to sort out.i'm sure our chairman will make his feelings known to the relevant people, he's not shy.

No :lol: :lol: :lol:

#33 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

I totally agree robin but i dont think anything drastic needs to be done.I mean we made 2 finals and won the league IMO thats a fantastic season for me.I just think we need a few tweaks here and their thats all just to make the final step.But like i said when we get over that hurdle i personally see trophy after trophy coming are way.

Quite right matt. It may be only fine tuning that's needed. It may need greater adjustment. That's why I wouldn't want to see an over reaction but a considered approach. Like OR has just posted, they'll sort it, not you or I.
I do agree that the difference between total dominance and underachievement is very narrow in our case. One try in two matches and we would have done the treble!!!!

Edited by Robin Evans, 01 October 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#34 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

as for yesterday, it's my fault. i left the red trainers at home.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#35 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

you should be sine die!

#36 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

you should be sine die!

you know you'd miss me.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#37 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

We done well again this season even though we only won the league leaders shield I don't see us as having the best players in the league i think the quality is spread out between most of the teams and that's good for the comp the problem is when you are at the top with no where to go the only thing you can do is stay there or drop down. I my opinion we have done well over the last three years to stop at the top of the league which isn't easy If the league made you champions we would all be saying that we are the best because the RFL say that a playoff makes you champions people start to question if we are been under achieves

I think the club are doing great on and off the field lets hope we can maintain that As for the people that say they are not coming again they are the people that are not helping the club get better and better and allow us to be stronger to win the cups One last thing well done to all the players for this season you have been great again and won the hardest shield/ cup to win and that was the league

#38 Ovo

Ovo
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Winning the league gets you nowt other than a plate and an easier route through the playoffs rooster. up to last year there wasn't even any prize money being league leaders.
We have two comps we can realistically win. the nrc and the co-op championship.
Does 1 out of the 6 available trophies during the last 3 yr period represent a good return given the investment in the team??

To answer your question directly. Yes.

The investment has been accross the board. It has delivered (on the whole) success at all levels. We have won trophies at all levels. It has enabled investment in more than just the first team, infrastructure, etc, etc.

I am more proud that we have won as a club, at the same time as picking up quite a bit of silverware.

Best period of success in my lifetime.
Anything I post is a personal opinion

#39 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

This is, fundamentally, where I have a different perspective to you. I don't disagree with any of your factual statements regarding what the RFL currently believe are success criteria. I don't agree with some of them, but what do I matter. And yes, yesterday's loss hurt, as it should, otherwise there's no point supporting your team.
However, in the 50 years I've been watching Featherstone I don't remember our league performances being anywhere near as consistent as they have been for the past 3 years. And I don't remember the off-field commercial performance being anywhere near its current state.
So, yes, I feel the recent underachievement in finals, but it doesn't feel massive to me. My abiding memory of this season will be the performance against Wigan and I don't think winning yesterday would have changed that.

I believe that since the C*s and Wigan games, our performances have slumped. Those two games really knocked the stuffing out of us.

#40 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

To answer your question directly. Yes.

The investment has been accross the board. It has delivered (on the whole) success at all levels. We have won trophies at all levels. It has enabled investment in more than just the first team, infrastructure, etc, etc.

I am more proud that we have won as a club, at the same time as picking up quite a bit of silverware.

Best period of success in my lifetime.

Could'nt agree more ovo its the best success this club as achieved in my life time too on and off the field.I think DP is one of the best coaches we have ever had and im in no doubt that this BOD is the best we have had in my lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users