TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Get a grip

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#41 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

Quite right matt. It may be only fine tuning that's needed. It may need greater adjustment. That's why I wouldn't want to see an over reaction but a considered approach. Like OR has just posted, they'll sort it, not you or I.
I do agree that the difference between total dominance and underachievement is very narrow in our case. One try in two matches and we would have done the treble!!!!

I'm sure we'll get a considered approach Robin from the club. In a way we've become a victim of our own success in that we set the standards for others to follow, and they have. The top teams have sussed us and we need to change things whether it be the fine tuning or greater adjustment you mention or somewhere in between. We trounced Sheffield in last years final but they beat us this year which begs the question... have they improved out of sight or have we gone backwards at an alarming rate? Maybe it's neither. More often than not cup finals will be keenly fought and the form book count for very little. Lots of factors to take into consideration in my opinion in order to come up with the right answers.

Overall though I still think its been a great season which could and maybe should have been even better with a bit of luck. If that pass to Johnny Grayshon sticks in the NR Cup for instance or the pass to Tommy yesterday hadn't been ruled forward. It's a fine line between success and failure. They'll get it right.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 01 October 2012 - 04:28 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#42 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

I'm sure they will get it right Terry. They were on top of the world after their displays against Cas and Wigan, but the displays in the 3 league matches around those cup games showed up certain weaknesses, mainly in attitude and lack of focus. They were badly affected by the loss of Elliss for the NRC Final, compounded by the injuries to Briggs & Heppy, and Kain suffered through switching between hooker and stand-off. The loss of Smeaton just before the GF gave them little time to adjust, and maybe if he'd played Sheffield's first-half tries may have been prevented?
One weakness that stands out like a sore thumb however, is the number of tries conceded in this seasons finals to kicks put behind the defensive line.
Are the wingers too far forward? Is the full-back in the wrong position? Whatever it is I'm sure they'll sort it!

#43 nevfromfev

nevfromfev
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

To answer your question directly. Yes.

The investment has been accross the board. It has delivered (on the whole) success at all levels. We have won trophies at all levels. It has enabled investment in more than just the first team, infrastructure, etc, etc.

I am more proud that we have won as a club, at the same time as picking up quite a bit of silverware.

Best period of success in my lifetime.

Lets put this into a bit of perspective, I have been fortunate to support this club for over 50 years seen a lot of the clubs all time greats, seen them win Wembley cup finals 3 times & finish top of league against all the best. This is a good period in Rovers history but it is second tier rugby, not enitirely all our fault we are still playing second tier rugby & not getting involved in the promotion & relegation debate but with all the investment & sponsorship the club has had 1 trophy from the 6 avaiable is poor, the coach, players BOD would have expected & probabley demanded better. Nothing absolutely nothing gets bums on seats more than winning. I applaud all the off the field stuff but what the first team does on the pitch directly effects attendances. We have played second tier rugby before and did not need 3 seasons of it to win 1 trophy.

#44 fevforever

fevforever
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

I'm over yesterdays disappointment, and i applaud Sheffield well done. We have won three league leaders shields on the trot, and got to three grand finals on the trot plus the euro champions thingy. Well done Featherstone Rovers on our achievements. Who could have believed this in 2005, up the rovers.

#45 Ovo

Ovo
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Lets put this into a bit of perspective, I have been fortunate to support this club for over 50 years seen a lot of the clubs all time greats, seen them win Wembley cup finals 3 times & finish top of league against all the best. This is a good period in Rovers history but it is second tier rugby, not enitirely all our fault we are still playing second tier rugby & not getting involved in the promotion & relegation debate but with all the investment & sponsorship the club has had 1 trophy from the 6 avaiable is poor, the coach, players BOD would have expected & probabley demanded better. Nothing absolutely nothing gets bums on seats more than winning. I applaud all the off the field stuff but what the first team does on the pitch directly effects attendances. We have played second tier rugby before and did not need 3 seasons of it to win 1 trophy.

Hi Nev, I tried to apply perspective by saying "in my lifetime". Started watching in 84. Of course I have seen better teams, but given our ceiling I think this is our best period I have seen.

Anyway, no point in debating this to death. I am happy with our achievements of last 3 years.
Anything I post is a personal opinion

#46 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

I am aslo happy with our achievements over the past 3 years. Of course having been to many finals I would have liked more trophies but what has happened has happened. The players love playing for this club and they do not go into finals with the intention of losing. We can all get out of bed on a morning with the intentions of doing the best for ourselves and our loved ones but we all make mistakes and have off days. It is how we learn from our mistakes which is important and I am sure this is what the club will do.

When you wake up and watch the news and you hear that a 5 year old girl has gone missing and this week it is the funeral of the great Walt Booth it puts things into perspective.

We will be back stronnger and better than always. Lets stick together and continue to get behind our great club.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#47 Andy Stennett

Andy Stennett
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

If 5 years ago someone had given me the past 3 seasons,I would have snatched their hand off!

At one stage it was common for us to give opponents 10-12 points start an then begin to play.

Okay, the two finals are disappointing results but we have been beaten by two really good sides and there is no reason for our guys to feel anything else but proud.

We have lost 5 games (and I think only 1of those has been away?) and won 48,drawing only 1 in 3 full seasons! That is an amazing achievement for such a small town club.

Our team will get stronger and though most opposition fans wouldn't admit it,they would love to have the impetus,framework and ambition that Rovers have throughout the club overvthe past 3 years.

It's too easy to forget the recent past and be cynical but POR wil still be one hell of a difficult place to visit next year for our opponents.

Well done Rovers

Spanish Apartment for Holiday Rental in Spain Visit www.ownersdirect.co.uk
Ref: S8185
Mobile 07738 528178

#48 nevfromfev

nevfromfev
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hi Nev, I tried to apply perspective by saying "in my lifetime". Started watching in 84. Of course I have seen better teams, but given our ceiling I think this is our best period I have seen.

Anyway, no point in debating this to death. I am happy with our achievements of last 3 years.

You right Martin no point debating this issue to the endth degree. It has been a great 3 seasons just so disappointed & frustrated it could & should have been so much better. Move on still a lot to be positive about.

#49 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

Firstly,whether you. agree or not, the Grand Final is the definitive way of deciding if you are champs or not. Secondly on a league basis FR are the most consistent team over the last 3 seasons, but, fiscally, sentimentally and sportingly this counts for very little. However, a balanced argument is that, if the Grand Final is the ultimate arbiter of who are the champions it's flawed in that it reminds me a little of the old football show piece the FA cup final in that On a one to one situation, albeit not a top six competition, that on any one day an inferior league team, can indeed grab the honours. 1973, 1976 and 1988 are great examples of this in the FAC,

#50 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,390 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

Ian porterfield made bob stoke's day in 73.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#51 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Equally, one bad decision, one error, an injury, a harsh sending off, in a league game can mean the difference between winning and losing the league title.

That old one-off chestnut is a complete red herring, if I may mix my metaphors.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#52 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

yes, but over a season there is the chance of lots, or even every team having a bad day. don't forget our 2 thrashings at home by fax and yourselves plus the loss of tangi for a large part of the season. come to think of it we did better than i thought in winning the league, thanks griff.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#53 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

yes, but over a season there is the chance of lots, or even every team having a bad day. .

True - but in a close competition, one game may be crucial.

I remember topping the league in 2003 on points difference from Chorley and Keighley, basically on the back of a huge 98-4 win over a weak, end of season Skolars team.

It's only a completely fair competition if you play every team with exactly the same personnel in exactly the same conditions and that can never happen.

#54 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

True - but in a close competition, one game may be crucial.

I remember topping the league in 2003 on points difference from Chorley and Keighley, basically on the back of a huge 98-4 win over a weak, end of season Skolars team.

It's only a completely fair competition if you play every team with exactly the same personnel in exactly the same conditions and that can never happen.

not completely fair, but fairer
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#55 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

That second try they scored was out of the top draw IMO if we had scored it we would have been saying it was the try of the season. I thought at the time maybe a forward pass but having looked back at the replay you would have to be very brave to have given a forward, bet you don't see a try as good as that this weekend.

#56 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

not completely fair, but fairer

You reckon ?

Tell you what - I'd rather have two teams going at each other to see which is the better side. Much better than "we won because we scored 20 more points against Lower Hockleton when they had a few players out".

#57 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

You right Martin no point debating this issue to the endth degree. It has been a great 3 seasons just so disappointed & frustrated it could & should have been so much better. Move on still a lot to be positive about.

It could have been better Nev if those ever so close defeats had gone our way but that's sport. Look at how many Grand Finals the iconic Saints have lost in recent years.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#58 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

You reckon ?

Tell you what - I'd rather have two teams going at each other to see which is the better side. Much better than "we won because we scored 20 more points against Lower Hockleton when they had a few players out".

but we had Sam Smeaton and Mick Haley missing and you had Joe Hirst missing.. you speak as if all playoff teams have their full compliment of players available. not the case.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#59 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

but we had Sam Smeaton and Mick Haley missing and you had Joe Hirst missing.. you speak as if all playoff teams have their full compliment of players available. not the case.

But that's partly my point - if you wait for every team to have everything just right, there'd never be a game. Ever.

Leagues aren't any fairer than knock-out games - despite the popular conception. Sure you appear to get another chance but the reality is that the chance you've just blown was your only chance.

#60 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

But that's partly my point - if you wait for every team to have everything just right, there'd never be a game. Ever.

Leagues aren't any fairer than knock-out games - despite the popular conception. Sure you appear to get another chance but the reality is that the chance you've just blown was your only chance.

as i said, never will be completely fair, but playing each team home and away over a season has to be fairer. i was at the challenge cup final in 1960 (i think) when wakefield played a hull side decimated by flu. hull lost by a record score, hardly fair. ok thats me done.

Edited by oldrover, 03 October 2012 - 12:42 PM.

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image