Photo
- - - - -

Get a grip

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#61 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,410 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

aye OR, but I bet griff has that 'last word'!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#62 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

I certainly hope not. I like a debate.

Some points to start us off ......
  • Easy to pick out a Cup Final but not so easy to remember that match six months ago when your nearest rivals in the league turned up with a side decimated by 'flu against a team they'd normally have beaten.
  • People like Finals. The biggest attendances are for the finals. Almost invariably. Even at our level. Even Sunday's modest attendance was about double the best Championship + the best Championship 1 attendance.
  • The climax to a knock-out competition is always at the end.
  • There are no meaningless games in a knock out competition.
  • The key match in a league season could be anywhere.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#63 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

I certainly hope not. I like a debate.

Some points to start us off ......

• Easy to pick out a Cup Final but not so easy to remember that match six months ago when your nearest rivals in the league turned up with a side decimated by 'flu against a team they'd normally have beaten.
  • People like Finals. The biggest attendances are for the finals. Almost invariably. Even at our level. Even Sunday's modest attendance was about double the best Championship + the best Championship 1 attendance.
  • The climax to a knock-out competition is always at the end.
  • There are no meaningless games in a knock out competition.
  • The key match in a league season could be anywhere.

I can easily pick out a cup final:- Wembley 1983. Fev beat the champions because they were the best team on the day, but in no way did we think we were the best team in the league, that was Hull, the team we beat.

#64 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

Theres plusses and minuses to both systems.

That said I prefer a fixture list and champions are the ones on top after all the games are played; but thats not the system we play.

Cummins Out.

#65 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:20 AM

You reckon ?

Tell you what - I'd rather have two teams going at each other to see which is the better side. Much better than "we won because we scored 20 more points against Lower Hockleton when they had a few players out".

I agree, so when do we play Leigh? I assume you meant the top two fight it out to ;)

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#66 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

I agree, so when do we play Leigh? I assume you meant the top two fight it out to ;)

Why ?

You fought it out with Leigh and won, we fought it out with Leigh and wom, we fought it out with you and won.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"