Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

1st a poisoned chalice?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Put this on the facebook group but feel it has been lost with the numerous posts being made regarding yesterdays events and is a good discussion point hopefully

Yesterday was the reality check needed for us

The "best team" in the championship tag has gone for now and had been slipping away for a fair while IMO but we have had a number of weeks off so my question is - is finishing 1st and maybe 2nd not the best thing all the time especially in our playoff system? Weve played 2 games in a month and sheff played 4 - theyve played every week in the playoffs and they looked more match fit than us - they beat us up all over the pitch and obviously held out.

Is winning the league potentially a poisoned chalice and would you take a grand final win next season from finishing 3rd-6th where you are guaranteed weekly games up to the grand final over a league leaders shield (which is meaningless come play off time)

I know we did it from the top in 2011 but we were streets ahead of the competition and signed an ex SL winger at the right time who wanted to prove his critics wrong that season

In an ideal world wed like to win everything, but on yesterdays evidence its clear, at the moment, we cant

What do you think?

#2 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Put this on the facebook group but feel it has been lost with the numerous posts being made regarding yesterdays events and is a good discussion point hopefully

The "best team" in the championship tag has gone for now and had been slipping away for a fair while IMO but we have had a number of weeks off so my question is - is finishing 1st and maybe 2nd not the best thing all the time especially in our playoff system? Weve played 2 games in a month and sheff played 4 - theyve played every week in the playoffs and they looked more match fit than us - they beat us up all over the pitch and obviously held out.

Is winning the league potentially a poisoned chalice and would you take a grand final win next season from finishing 3rd-6th where you are guaranteed weekly games up to the grand final over a league leaders shield (which is meaningless come play off time)

I know we did it from the top in 2011 but we were streets ahead of the competition and signed an ex SL winger at the right time who wanted to prove his critics wrong that season

In an ideal world wed like to win everything, but on yesterdays evidence its clear, at the moment, we cant

What do you think?

Good post im torn to be honest i like winning the league but like everyone else always want more :lol: But i would rather win the league i think and give it go from their as i think it is the easier route to winning the GF the eagles have done it the hard way twice now but i think it is realy hard to do it from 3rd,4th etc so hats off to them.Our biggest downfall is our consistancy i think i know it sounds daft but we seem to be very consistent but when we need to raise our game we seem to think the same consistancy will get us through but as we have found out the hard way it does'nt.

Edited by thundergaz, 01 October 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#3 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

You shouldnt feel down beat regarding the result too much but give credit to a team who acted in the conditions a bit better and did have the rub of the green on a few ocassions but the try they scored with some great handling skills was for me the turning point and gave them great go forward in the last 20 minutes and yes i tend to agree that sheffield where more match fit which proved the case with Leeds and Warrington,s wins.But winning the Grand finals must be the ultimate goal for every team.
chappy

#4 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

You have got to aim at been the best every week and if you are you are going to win the league like we did so end up getting the rest

I look at the play offs as seperate cup competition like the NRC

To me winning the league is by far the hardest as you have to be good against every team in the league all season so although your not crowned champions for it in my eyes you are and I am proud to support team that has done that for three years now

If we win the league next year it would be an unbelievable achievement but we will have to get to the grand final with the rest again We did it last season and believe we can do it again

#5 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

What do you think?

You cant argue with any of that.

In an ideal world itd be nice to finish top and win in the play offs.

I think this is where you need 2 different mind sets, to win the league and minor premiers, you need to do it week and after week, in the play offs, its 2 weeks between matches (assuming you win your qualifying semi).

Im sure that the club will know whats required next year.

Cummins Out.

#6 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Certainley something that has occured to me before. I dont think the timing of the cup final, the week before the last league game, helps. Finish 1st or 2nd & win first play off game and you play only twice in six weeks leading up to the Grand Final.

It definitely needs some thought for champ 1 next year. With only 9 teams one has a 'week off' each round and if the team who miss the last week finish 1st or 2nd they could find themselves having only 1 game in the 6 werks before the GF.

#7 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

I also think we have played alot of games this season with the CC, NRC and the league campaign.Maybe the games took their tole in the end.

#8 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

I also think we have played alot of games this season with the CC, NRC and the league campaign.Maybe the games took their tole in the end.

We will have to be even better prepared next season then with 8 more league games, although a slightly shorter NRC format this time around but we will probably been playing more

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

Well, that's the opposite argument. Sheffield played more games than Fev over the season - we only missed out on the NR final and had two extra play-off games.

Personally, I don't think it's a great thing to play so few games. Fev had 3 blank weeks, counting the Challenge Cup Final. That can be good or bad - depending on your injury situation, whether you want to maintain momentum etc.

Playing eight more games ? Two games a week over bank holidays ? I don't think that's going to help the quality of the game.

Yet 90% of clubs voted for it. Astonishing. Who were the two sensible blokes ? That's what I want to know.......
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

We have been beaten four times by teams in our division this season...Twice by Fax twice by Sheffield both quality sides; There wasn't much in either cup final to separate the teams though both winners fully deserved their victory; It appears to me that in the big games we go away from what we would do normally; One man in with very little backing up; How much this is down to the oppositions tactics I don't really know; What I do know is that I am proud of what our coach and players have achieved over the past three seasons and there is plenty more to come; Well done to both Sheffield and Fax for masterminding two great victories against a very good team;

#11 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

What doesn't help is that the U23's finish their season much too early, so there are no opportunities for first-teamers returning from injury, or fringe players, to get a game. Jonny Hepworth could have done with a few more games before the GF, one appearance against Keighley was scant preparation.
A friendly the week before the GF, comprising U23's, fringe players, and Jonny Hepworth, would have been useful.

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

It occurred to me after reading the Fev yearbook that when Rovers won the Grand Final in 2011, they played us over Challenge Cup Final weekend so they only had two, rather than their usual three, weeks off in the lead-up to the Final.

Interesting ?

Or coincidence.

#13 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Some you win some you lose. We have shown great consistancy in the league and are worthy winners. Last season we won the play offs easily. In knock out competitions it depends on the day of the match. No hiccoughs allowed. When Smeaton got injured we were disrupted. That can happen to any team on the day. Over a season the most consistent team wins the honours. In knock out football it is all down to that particular match and the circumstances surrounding it. Halifax and Sheffield won on merit. But you could argue that their form wasn't as consistent as ours over the season. So which is better. You pay your money and make your choice. Think how all the other teams must feel. They would give their hind teeth to have a pot in the cupboard.

#14 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

We have been beaten four times by teams in our division this season...Twice by Fax twice by Sheffield both quality sides; There wasn't much in either cup final to separate the teams though both winners fully deserved their victory; It appears to me that in the big games we go away from what we would do normally; One man in with very little backing up; How much this is down to the oppositions tactics I don't really know; What I do know is that I am proud of what our coach and players have achieved over the past three seasons and there is plenty more to come; Well done to both Sheffield and Fax for masterminding two great victories against a very good team;

I agree, Phil. At the finals, we appear to be a different team to what we have been watching all season. To be brutal, we appear to lack enthusiasm and drive. Unfair to the Club, the players themselves and most importantly, the loyal fans. We, as a team, are better than this. Could it be a "mind set"?.

#15 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Usually the club that spends the most wins . in the league last season the four top spenders finished 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th.

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Usually the club that spends the most wins . In the league last season the four top spenders finished 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th.

And your source for those facts is ......... ? :huh:

#17 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

RL salary cap info

#18 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

RL salary cap info

Which just shows that play off games are one offs as I said. The consistant teams win the leagues. They are also consistant with their income and finances. Proof of the pudding

#19 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

This year Rovers built a side to win the league again, with a mobile pack that can dominate in the summer on firm ground. But they started badly, losing to Batley in the mud, and they played poorly at the end of the season in a downpour.
Yes, it can be a poisoned chalice if the conditions in the GF are different to the rest of the season. So what do you do with your budget? Get a bigger pack that can play in the rain or mud that won't be as effective on firmer ground?
If the most consistent team always won it would be a boring competition!

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Which just shows that play off games are one offs as I said. The consistant teams win the leagues. They are also consistant with their income and finances. Proof of the pudding

The biggest spending teams are not necessarily those covering their expenditure with income.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users