RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Don't Undermine the club

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I've thought long and hard before posting this but having read some of the stuff posted recently i've decided to speak out.
Featherstone Rovers RLFC are moving forward despite the two cup final defeats this season. We are competitive on and off the field. There are people working hard behind the scenes to improve the standing of the club. LB and the community team have so many great things happening including the re launch of the Buccaneers to get 500 members, mother and tots group, coffee mornings and the great stuff they do with the schools. Paul C and his small team are working non stop to get the railway end developed and Paul T is bringing new sponsors in on what seems like a weekly basis and many other initiatives are happening behind the scenes.
So why do a handful of fans have to try and ruin all the good work by inciting fans of other clubs and sometimes our own with provocative posts, just to get a reaction? Don't get me wrong, i like a bit of banter but some of the stuff recently, especially between Fev and Fax fans isn't portraying our club in the best light.Disagree by all means but be careful that it doesn't detract from what the club is doing. Taunting fans on their own forums brings it back to ours and I for one am getting sick of it and i'm sure i'm not alone.
We have some very knowlegeble fans who raise good points, some we might not want to hear but a healthy debate would be interesting to read, instead it turns to mud slinging.
Please be aware that the forum is open to anybody to read and comments should reflect that.

#2 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Great post like you have said phil the off field stuff is just as important or if not more important than our on field performances.But me and like many of our other fans are dissapointed after not winning any of the finals.But for me i am very grateful of getting to the finals let alone winning them.I see this season as a huge step forward even though we lost the finals.Its been a very long time since we got to every final we could get to and IMO thats a massive acheivement in its self.

Edited by thundergaz, 01 October 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#3 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 967 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

Well said you two, I was happy after the c@s game this season :rolleyes:

#4 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

This season been a good one again and we should all be proud of the team and what they have done to entertain us there a lot of people doing a lot of work to improve things If everyone keeps working hard it will only get better

#5 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

I've thought long and hard before posting this but having read some of the stuff posted recently i've decided to speak out.
Featherstone Rovers RLFC are moving forward despite the two cup final defeats this season. We are competitive on and off the field. There are people working hard behind the scenes to improve the standing of the club. LB and the community team have so many great things happening including the re launch of the Buccaneers to get 500 members, mother and tots group, coffee mornings and the great stuff they do with the schools. Paul C and his small team are working non stop to get the railway end developed and Paul T is bringing new sponsors in on what seems like a weekly basis and many other initiatives are happening behind the scenes.
So why do a handful of fans have to try and ruin all the good work by inciting fans of other clubs and sometimes our own with provocative posts, just to get a reaction? Don't get me wrong, i like a bit of banter but some of the stuff recently, especially between Fev and Fax fans isn't portraying our club in the best light.Disagree by all means but be careful that it doesn't detract from what the club is doing. Taunting fans on their own forums brings it back to ours and I for one am getting sick of it and i'm sure i'm not alone.
We have some very knowlegeble fans who raise good points, some we might not want to hear but a healthy debate would be interesting to read, instead it turns to mud slinging.
Please be aware that the forum is open to anybody to read and comments should reflect that.

Spot on Phil. Keep up the good work.

#6 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

I know what you mean Phil, cant do this banter thing me... I just get in a huff.

Cummins Out.

#7 Ovo

Ovo
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Agree 100% with Phil's original post. Well thought out and thanks for posting Phil.
Anything I post is a personal opinion

#8 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

my mam often used to quote that old saying, "familiarity breeds contempt" and think that's what's happening to us to some extent. having won the league for the last 3 years and reaching finals, it's easy to forget how much hard work is required to achieve these things. if we take a step back and look at what we've done this season, both on and off the field, we have had another great season, and it's not finished yet. there's still lots to come in the close season. we're in good shape, we're in good hands and it keeps getting better.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#9 Jason Alcorn

Jason Alcorn
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thank you Phil for posting some sense and as OR states there's more to come. What must players think if they read this forum, thanks must go to them for ALL the season, the GF was one game. That game does not define a full season, it is the culmination of the season and we got there again. Healthy debate and support are one thing, silly unthought posts do not have a place.

#10 Kirkie

Kirkie
  • Coach
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Am I right in thinking 6 losses or there about in three seasons surely things are not that bad up the rovers

#11 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

I remember watching Fev win promotion in 2007 back to the championship with Saxton etc. If your fans are not happy with the progress of Fev in such a short space of time they must be nuts!

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#12 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

I remember watching Fev win promotion in 2007 back to the championship with Saxton etc. If your fans are not happy with the progress of Fev in such a short space of time they must be nuts!

Some of them are, bonkers.
Brilliant season again no complaints from me. Looking forward to next year. and I can't wait to watch to stand go up. Name one other clun in the rugby league as a whole with as much going off as Featherstone.
we are very lucky and people should remember that.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#13 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

my mam often used to quote that old saying, "familiarity breeds contempt" and think that's what's happening to us to some extent. having won the league for the last 3 years and reaching finals, it's easy to forget how much hard work is required to achieve these things. if we take a step back and look at what we've done this season, both on and off the field, we have had another great season, and it's not finished yet. there's still lots to come in the close season. we're in good shape, we're in good hands and it keeps getting better.

OR You will remember the old song 'You've got at accentuate the positve eliminate the negative' there is also a book called the 'Power of Positive Thinking'. The POSITIVE is as you say we have won the League Leaders Trophy for the last THREE years. NOBODY ELSE HAS COME NEAR TO THAT. THAT IS POSITIVE THINKING. So let us eliminate the negative and rejoice in our success. Think POSITIVE my friends. The future is bright onward and upwards.

#14 Cliff in Tanzania

Cliff in Tanzania
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

As I sat on the almost empty terracing (along with only a few remaining Fev fans) watching the lads collect their loser’s medals, and then applauding Sheffield as they lifted the cup (along with the few Sheffield fans) I planned to put a posting on the forum, but after reading a lot of the thoughts from the game I figured I'd leave it until the dust settled.

I was going to post a big thank you to Stuart Dickens, and the rest of the players, the board and everyone involved with Featherstone, paid and unpaid. Regardless of the defeat, and disappointment of that moment, in my eyes that one game does not detract from the magnificent (unprecedented in my time as a fan) period we are going through, and the pride and pleasure I get from being a Fev fan.

I don't get to watch them play that often, I've probably been to 6 games in the last 3 seasons (and the odd one on dodgy internet), but I still sometimes have to pinch myself to remind myself of how great it has been to be a Fev fan over the last few years. I'm racking my brains to remember the name of the guy who was there at the beginning of the revival, who seemed to kick start something special, was it Tony Kenny (apologies if I'm wrong) but since then I feel we have progressed so far, on and off the field, at a manageable rate without huge artificial influxes of cash in a wholly sustainable way. I believe that approach, and the continued efforts of Mark Campbell and the board (and the sponsors, of course) will without doubt eventually pay dividends. I have a really good feeling about 2013.

So thanks Fev! - See you next season.

The future's bright, The future's Blue and White!
Now in Myanmar.

#15 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

Top of my wish list at the start of the season above all else was to knock a Super League club out of the Challemge Cup. Besides doing that we have won another league title and appeared in both major finals.
Best season yet since 1995! A year-on-year improvement is better than winning everything all the time!

#16 Cush

Cush
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

Total over reaction by a few WHO Im guessing were popped up when they posted some of the drivel on various sited.

Get a grip for God sake ! We are the leading club in our League.

Proud of the club and will be backing them in 2013.

#17 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 967 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

I am with you on this one Cliff I felt for the players on Sunday as they stood waiting to go up for the losers medals and 99.9% of the Fev fans had gone. after all the hard work and effort they had put in over the season they deserved much better..

#18 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

You don't mate.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 02 October 2012 - 10:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users