TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

50 years ago

Austrailia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ricardo Taylor

Ricardo Taylor
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hard to thinks its 50 years to the day that Featherstone beat the Austrailian Tourists on a Wednesday. Been a fan of the greatest club ever since.

#2 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hard to thinks its 50 years to the day that Featherstone beat the Austrailian Tourists on a Wednesday. Been a fan of the greatest club ever since.

49 years Ricardo. :D :D

Don't throw away a year of your life!

#3 Ricardo Taylor

Ricardo Taylor
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

its the hard life i am leading, got my years mixed up. Its an age thing. Counting all the coins for the spread and save has addled my brain.

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

its the hard life i am leading, got my years mixed up. Its an age thing. Counting all the coins for the spread and save has addled my brain.

Start planning the 50th anniversary party now. It'll be a helluva do. Everyone can turn up with a little bag of coppers for you to count out......... ;)

#5 Ricardo Taylor

Ricardo Taylor
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

i was given an ashtray last year to celebrate Wakefield playing Austrailia in the late 50s. how times have changed.

#6 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

I was at the match. Was Reg Gasnier on that tour?

#7 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

I remember writing about going to this game at school, I was 8 years old at the time
Im Fev and im proud

#8 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Don Fox mesmerised them. He later did the same for GB as loose-forward in the final test. Contrary to common belief though, he played most of the Rovers match at scrum-half, even though he had no.13 on his back. This is because Carl Dooler went off early with an injury. I never thought of this before, but did we beat them with only 12 men, because there were no subs in those days?

#9 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

Start planning the 50th anniversary party now. It'll be a helluva do. Everyone can turn up with a little bag of coppers for you to count out......... ;)

Next year is a big one. It's 50 years since the unbelievable victory over the Australians, which was a cornerstone for Riccardo and Bryan and many others. 40 years since the total devastation of Bradford Northern at Wembley, which was the catalyst for my dad to take me the next season. 30, yes, unbelievably 30 years since Rovers shoved it up the bookies to incredibly overturn the star studded Hull. For the young ones, it's going to be 20 years since the Grand Final victory over Workington, a game in which Mr Hammond reminded me that we won thanks in part to a couple of overseas players (Takeata and Tuuta) whom I'd overlooked in a previous post. Could someone please fill in the blanks for the tenth anniversary? Because to my shame I wasn't following our great club too closely at that juncture, there must have been a memorable moment from 2003.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 02 October 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#10 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

Don Fox mesmerised them. He later did the same for GB as loose-forward in the final test. Contrary to common belief though, he played most of the Rovers match at scrum-half, even though he had no.13 on his back. This is because Carl Dooler went off early with an injury. I never thought of this before, but did we beat them with only 12 men, because there were no subs in those days?

From memory, subs had just been introduced in Australia. For tour games only, subs were allowed in this country and Arnie Morgan made Rovers history by becoming the first Rovers substitute to take the field.

I remember selling tickets at my school in Pontefract for this game, my teacher, knowing I was a Rovers regular volunteered me - they went well as I recall.

Edited by Jimmy B, 02 October 2012 - 10:14 PM.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#11 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

Got a free ticket from my school (a school that was football only) I'd never been to a rl match before and was blown away by Foxy. I was hooked from that moment onwards. Where have those years gone?

#12 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

From memory, subs had just been introduced in Australia. For tour games only, subs were allowed in this country and Arnie Morgan made Rovers history by becoming the first Rovers substitute to take the field.

I remember selling tickets at my school in Pontefract for this game, my teacher, knowing I was a Rovers regular volunteered me - they went well as I recall.

A,I wish you and T would do a book about your memoirs/memories of Featherstone Rovers, to me it would be invaluable.

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Correct.

Subs were introduced in the UK from the following season. But only for injuries and only up to half-time.

#14 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

Correct.

Subs were introduced in the UK from the following season. But only for injuries and only up to half-time.

Mark, when i read your posts i'm amazed at how much stuff i've forgot, if you could write a book on the stuff i forgot it would take 2 men to lift it. keep it up.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#15 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Perhaps we should offer them a rematch for the 50th anniversary. Would make a good pre-season friendly and should bring a decent crowd in. What a way to celebrate the opening of the new stands. B)

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#16 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

A,I wish you and T would do a book about your memoirs/memories of Featherstone Rovers, to me it would be invaluable.

Have you read the excerpt from my book yet Andrew? Eager to know what you think, and whether you have any constructive critiscism?

#17 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Mark, when i read your posts i'm amazed at how much stuff i've forgot, if you could write a book on the stuff i forgot it would take 2 men to lift it. keep it up.

How would he know what you have forgot?

If you told him what you had forgot then that means you had remembered it or he could tell you what you had forgot but you may already remember you hadn't forgot so the book would be wrong.

Can't believe you would put someone under so much pressure to get it right! :o ;)
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#18 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

How would he know what you have forgot?

If you told him what you had forgot then that means you had remembered it or he could tell you what you had forgot but you may already remember you hadn't forgot so the book would be wrong.

Can't believe you would put someone under so much pressure to get it right! :o ;)

sorry sidnee, i forgot.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#19 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

sorry sidnee, i forgot.

sorry sidnee, i forgot.

Talking about achievements we musn't forget another final we lost but must be one of our best. Wembley in 1952. I was there that day and remember with pride the largely homnespun team that got there. Eric Batten should be remembered more, as well as freddie Miller. He was a magnificant coach. Two things apart from his coaching stick in my mind. I saw him actually leap over players (before it was banned) and his magnificant shoulder charge. He had it timed to a tee. His shoulder as he travelled through the air made contact with the opposition player's shoulder and left him crumpled at the knees. Should shoulder charges be banned? Not if they are executed as Eric did them. There has been a lot of talk about how rubbishy Donacaster were in the old days. Not in their first season they weren't. When they entered the rugby league their team was mainly made up of surplus players at other clubs who loaned them out to Donny. Their captain and leader was Tuss Griffiths. he led them magnificently. They were about 4th in the league (all clubs in one league) and looking good. When they played at PO Road it was only Eric's shoulder charge that stopped Tuss from scoring. When the other clubs saw the success they recalled their loaned players. THEN Doncaster became the rubbing rags. But not at first. Memories buckets of them.