• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

not enough quality in their squad.

We have. We just haven't had enough quality in the coaching team. If a team plays like Saints played all season then the whole team is going to look rubbish. That style of play - if style is what it can be called - is down to Rush, not the players. Rush and Cunningham as coaching staff have overseen the slide backwards in almost every player. That is particularly noticeable in the young players, those whom he has actually chosen to play at all that is (as opposed to relegate to the u20s, leave cooling their heels on the bench or send out on loan).

Edited by Saintslass, 02 October 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#22 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

does it really matter who is in the squad .
if we cant beat the other teams with even average super league players then theres something very wrong with the game in this country
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#23 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

The absence of Ben Jones-Bishop, Stefan Ratchford and Jonny Lomax depresses me - while the selections and omissions at half-back appear to show further evidence of a lack of consistency in McNamara's thinking.

It is easy to forget just how bad England's performance v Exiles really was - especially when considering the ramshackle nature of the latter's composition. Good players in form for their clubs were made to look utterly dreadful. Very few, if any, questions were asked of McNamara by what remains of the rugby league press...

Nothing is more important for the game in this country than a vibrant, exciting, successful England team. Steve McNamara appears to be a decent bloke but - and truly it gives me no pleasure to say this - he's shown nothing to suggest that England's fortunes are about to change for the better...

#24 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

The absence of Ben Jones-Bishop, Stefan Ratchford and Jonny Lomax depresses me - while the selections and omissions at half-back appear to show further evidence of a lack of consistency in McNamara's thinking.

Good point about Ratchford, suspect he will be in the Knight's setup, but surely this tournament was made for people like him, especially when our three-quarters hardly set the world on fire! Wasn't he one of the few bright lights in the Exiles games?

#25 Viking Ste

Viking Ste
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

What has happened to Chris Highington? Or is it due to injury?

#26 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Sinfield n chase 6 n 7 with burrow 9 n myler back up would be my guess
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#27 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Sinfield n chase 6 n 7 with burrow 9 n myler back up would be my guess

hope not as chase and sinfield would be a bad combination.
sinfield likes to play a control game without to much off the cuff rugby but chase plays loose off the cuff and i dont recon you can mix the styles very well at halfback. would rather see either chase and brough or sinfield and burrow but not a mix of them .
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,026 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

Brough's injured isn't he?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

We have. We just haven't had enough quality in the coaching team. If a team plays like Saints played all season then the whole team is going to look rubbish. That style of play - if style is what it can be called - is down to Rush, not the players. Rush and Cunningham as coaching staff have overseen the slide backwards in almost every player. That is particularly noticeable in the young players, those whom he has actually chosen to play at all that is (as opposed to relegate to the u20s, leave cooling their heels on the bench or send out on loan).

First Team

1.Paul Wellens

2.Ade Gardner

3.Michael Shenton

4.Sia Soliola

5.Francis Meli

6.Lance Hohaia

7.Jonny Lomax

8.Josh Perry

9.James Roby

10.LMS

11.Tony Puletua

12.Jon Wilkin

13.Chris Flannery

14.Anthony Laffranchi

15.Mark Flanagan

16.Paul Clough

17.Gary Wheeler

18.Shaun Magennis

19.Andrew Dixon

20.Lee Gaskell

21.Tom Makinson

22.Jamie Foster

23.Scott Hale

24.Nathan Ashe

25.Carl Forster

26.Josh Jones

27.Danny Jones

28.Joe Greenwood

29.Anthony Walker

30.Jordan Hand

Adam Swift

when i look at this saints squad i still say theres not enough quality, especially when picking an england squad. ok players like soliola, laffranchi an puletua are, but these arent english players. i still maintain who out of this saints squad would be selected for england if all are fit, probably 2 or 3.

#30 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

considering super league have the top 8 play offs, surely the fact that the current england squad consists of 7 leeds, 5 warrington, 6 wigan, 2 hull?, 1 huddersfield, 1 castleford plus 1 souths 1 bulldogs, shows that the competition isnt as strong as everyone suggests. surely more players should be represented from other clubs in the league.

the spread of and amount of class english players surely is a problem.

what can be done to improve the situation?

#31 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

The England first choice RLWC2013 17/whos in contention is quite obvious.

Tomkins - best attacking threat by a long shot, best two full backs in the nrl were playing in the grand final, I'm guessing neither made errors in that game?

Charnley/Briscoe - Either or really, Briscoe probably more potential whilst Charnley more consistent.

Watkins/Atkins/Ratchford - Its there for the taking next year, whoever has the best season will take it.

Reed - I'd pick him as he will be very consistent, nothing special but won't miss many tackles and had decent partnership with hall last year.

Hall - Proven against Aussies to be good enough.

Widdop - Proven good enough at the NRL grand final, then again according to Mcbanana chase would be better somehow.

Brough - Kicking and Organisation and has abit of an attacking threat, best option out of poor bunch.

Luke Burgess - I've watched him play about 5 or 6 times but everytime he's looked arguably the best forward on the pitch, even when sam was playing, another season in the NRL will only help him.

Roby - Best hooker IMO.

Graham - Obvious choice, will add bite to the pack.

Westwood - obvious also

Sam Burgess - Obvious

Gareth Ellis - I think he's good enough ball in hand and defencivley to muscle up as a good defencive 13 and a ball handling one.

Burrow - Something different if it goes wrong.

Crabtree - Adds much size and the Aussies had problems last time. Could change the game.

Hock - Obvious and could have huge impact coming off bench.

Hill/Mossop/Patrick ect - Its up for grabs, next seasons form should decide.

This years tournament is irrelevant, give dixon and broughton a game see how they go. We won't find any answers to our questions.

#32 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Graham - Obvious choice, will add bite to the pack.

Naughty. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#33 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

i'll start it early MCNAMARA OUT!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#34 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

It's a decent enough squad and the majority of selections are what most fans would go with, although I don't see anything in Ablett (and a few others) to suggest he's anything more than an honest plodder. That said, it's not exactly an inspiring selection. It certainly doesn't make me want to travel up from London to watch this team play at Craven Park. Ho-hum.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#35 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,667 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Myler is one of those players where people have decided they hate him and nothing he could ever do would change that fact. He's got a good-looking girlfriend so it's something he'll have to live with. Part of me hopes he doesn't get near the team so he won't have people booing him after 5 minutes.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#36 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

The depressing thing for England fans should be that McNamara obviously thinks Chase and Sinfield will be his scrum base pairing for next season's World cup.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#37 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,767 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

i'll start it early MCNAMARA OUT!!

Nothing early about it. We Bradford fans were saying it four years ago.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#38 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Im confused by the Heighington situation, is he available and not picked? He has been a colossus in an underperforming team this year, I dont like picking Ozzies in our squad, but I like the only pickin gthem against the ozzies tactic even worse! Go with the best team we can in every international i say.

Id like to see a back 3 of Heighington, Ellis and Oloughliin, as said above, Luke Burgess has had a great season too, im hoping he was considered for selection at least.

Id also be tempted to have a Rob Burrow, Sinfield halves combo, steady under pressure with some flair outside them.

#39 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

I disagree. It was evident yous didn't have a halfback partnership to play expansively. It didn't change throughout the season, Simmons couldn't do anything with the squad to challenge and rush probably got the best out of the squad. With the signing of Hohaia I suspect that the Saints board will of spent their budget, and he was a flop. But with the wages he is likely on would they let Rush pick Gaskell over him, I doubt it. Rush did exactly what the Saints board wanted and I don't think he'd of had the freedom to do much more. Saying every player went backwards isn't true at all, they just didn't play as exciting.

#40 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

Myler is one of those players where people have decided they hate him and nothing he could ever do would change that fact. He's got a good-looking girlfriend so it's something he'll have to live with. Part of me hopes he doesn't get near the team so he won't have people booing him after 5 minutes.

Fiancé? Wife? She's terrific on Blue Peter.
I think with Hodgson, Monaghan and Briers, he is a very good foil, and I wish we had players with that game savvy around him. With no sufficiently creative 9 or 6, his support play and eye for the gap will not compensate for the lack of guidance. Just my opinion, though it is based on having seen him play a number of times, though not as often as regular players. I have even read Wire fans, who presumably don't "hate" him, argue that the young half back is a more natural playmaker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users