League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

6. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

As a neutral I say well done Leeds! They won fair and square.

Awesome game!! Thoroughly enjoyed it! Definitely there with Wigan vs Saints in 2010 as a Classic.

How bitter can Wigan and Saints fans get? :lol:

Yes, they train to peak in September/October but if you want to win the Super League that's the name of the game. If you're a sore loser, go cry elsewhere. ;)

I think you mistake a range of legitimate views with "crying" in a number of cases. I would have thought a forum in which people can express opinions is the apppropriate place to express them.
My musing at least, and I can't speak for others, is not "how can they be the best team when they lose so many more games over the year" but rather "how can the best team lose so may games over the year". They are demonstrably the best team, and there is no argument from me on that score. I assume they are trying, but if their coaches are training them in a particular way - and a different way from others - then that has to be worthy of debate. In pretty much every year bar the last 2, there simply could not be a debate as to whether the champions were "worthy" winners because they had shown throughout the year they were just that.
As for bitterness, I cannot speak for others, I am proud of what Wigan achieved and really enjoyed the season - with our squad and a new coach to be the third best team behind 2 vintage ones is a great effort.
To finish on your "bitter"/"crying" point, there are plenty of supporters of other clubs making similar points.

#202 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

Leeds were just too good on the night for Wire time to push on and sign 2 top quality halfbacks time to pension LB off
Posted Image

#203 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,440 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

Well, disappointed in the result but i had a great day!

Glad people thought it was a great game, sometimes you're not sure whether it is just because you are getting caught up in it.

Some pathetic comments from the usual on here who find it difficult to enjoy what we have.

Leeds were excellent, I was generally pleased with us apart from a couple of areas. kick return from our fb was dire and always had us on the back foot, and our kicking was inconsistent. Once again at Wire we see when one or two of our key players underperform we are beatable, although thats no different to other teams tbf.

Well done Leeds!

#204 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Dave - and Paul and JB - I hope that the result doesn't colour another fantastic season. There was so little between 2 wonderful sides - truly the 2 strongest sides in the competition. Wire on (pre and) Wembley form would have won, but it is very very hard to sustain that brilliance.

#205 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

Got up at 2am to watch the game and very happy I did. What a game, what an atmosphere. Much better than the nrl gf this year, hopefully Leeds receive the recognition they deserve!

#206 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,440 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

Dave - and Paul and JB - I hope that the result doesn't colour another fantastic season. There was so little between 2 wonderful sides - truly the 2 strongest sides in the competition. Wire on (pre and) Wembley form would have won, but it is very very hard to sustain that brilliance.

Naturally im disappointed, but strangely not gutted. We're getting there and still learning. Leeds are masters of the GF, we now need to learn to be as good.
Leeds have lost at OT and have come back strong. We need to do the same.

#207 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Some nice photos from the Guardian http://www.guardian....7291826&index=0
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#208 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,643 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

Some nice photos from the Guardian http://www.guardian....7291826&index=0

brilliant pics.
The footage of this kid who was pulling his scarf making it look like it was making his head revolve was hilarious.
I thought everything about the GF was affirmative about the game and its people.
I've been absolutely balled off about the miserabalist strain which flows therough the game and which sadly surfaces on here a little. last night put my feelings back on track.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#209 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Leeds played well in 16 or so of their Seasons games then came good when needed, they do not play badly in 11 games on purpose.
Everybody knows the rules at the start of the Season, get on with it or follow football!

#210 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Naturally im disappointed, but strangely not gutted. We're getting there and still learning. Leeds are masters of the GF, we now need to learn to be as good.
Leeds have lost at OT and have come back strong. We need to do the same.

Correct, 2 great sides put on a fantastic game, it could have gone either way but Leeds took their chances more.

#211 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Success breeds success. Leeds coped with the stress of a series of hard games in getting to the final; then coped with the stress of being behind in the final. They seem to be a very tight-knit group of players and coaching staff.

I think it can be an advantage if your team has a more limited option in the selection of players ... the old heads were always going to get picked and did their job. As an outsider, and with limited knowledge of current form and injury, I didn't think Tony Smith had picked his best team to do the job required. It would be interesting to see if Warrington fans would have picked a different line-up.

Although it was a really exciting game, I didn't think it was a classy game ... it was more about dying for the cause than a parade of ball skills. I thought Warrington put plenty of effort in but underperformed on the skill front.

I think Leeds raised their game in the final, whilst Warrington have played better. The best team on the night certainly won the game and full congratulations to Leeds.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#212 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Got up at 2am to watch the game and very happy I did. What a game, what an atmosphere. Much better than the nrl gf this year, hopefully Leeds receive the recognition they deserve!

Well worth getting up for for sure, 2 great sides....Go the Rhinos!!!!

#213 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

Well, disappointed in the result but i had a great day!

Glad people thought it was a great game, sometimes you're not sure whether it is just because you are getting caught up in it.

Some pathetic comments from the usual on here who find it difficult to enjoy what we have.

Leeds were excellent, I was generally pleased with us apart from a couple of areas. kick return from our fb was dire and always had us on the back foot, and our kicking was inconsistent. Once again at Wire we see when one or two of our key players underperform we are beatable, although thats no different to other teams tbf.

Well done Leeds!

Well done Dave to recognise a great Leeds performance....It could have gone either way though but Leeds took their chances better.
Cheers from Sunny Spain

#214 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

A Grand Final that for once lived up to the hype, a brilliant advert for the game and all a wodge of people on here can do is whine and grumble. So that's a RL tradition maintained <_<

#215 Dessies Jockstrap

Dessies Jockstrap
  • Facebook
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Firstly, congratulations Leeds.They did what they needed to do and won the game.
Calling it a classic is a bit much, i thought Warrington were bloody awful. We were lacking of ideas and as was said earlier, our kick return and last tackle options were absolutely abysmal.
I am heartbroken today but proud to actually be in this position. If you had asked me during the Anderson, Plange era 10 years ago if we would ever be here i would have laughed at you.
I will watch the match back with interest rather than picking holes in our team or the referee but Leeds certainly know how to disrupt a teams rhythm. I am not saying gamesmanship at all but them near death injuries were quickly recovered from! :mellow:

Roll on 2013, it's going to be a long 5 months without my weekly fix of RL!

#216 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

A belting final.

All that was missing was an Australian biting an Englishman. Will we ever be able to compete with the Aussies?

Well done Leeds, there, I've said it now.

(Hack, cough...)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#217 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

I think Tony Smith's comments were pretty spot on when he said that at times Warrington were playing not to lose rather than trying to win.

Also, spare a thought for poor Paul Wood who suffered an injury and has had an operation that will make most blokes' cringe in sympathy........ :ph34r: :o :blink:

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#218 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Also, spare a thought for poor Paul Wood who suffered an injury and has had an operation that will make most blokes' cringe in sympathy........ :ph34r: :o :blink:

When they said he'd dropped a bo##ock,I thought they meant he'd had a poor game.How wrong was I.
Shows what players put themselves through.
Just read his tweets and he's more gutted about missing mad Monday. :o

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 07 October 2012 - 12:12 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#219 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

It's not comparable with cycling or athletics; they are solo sports. Its not about having peaks and troughs or losing games either; that's inevitable.

Its about being half hearted most of the year as long as you make the top 8 somehow. Which IMO is wrong and makes the rest of the season meaningless. Bring back the top 5.

if leeds had only been bothered about getting into the playoffs and had been half hearted until then why did they try for as high as 5th when 8th would have been just fine the only difference been an away game in the first round instead of a home game i mean they played away to catalan and wigan so i guess another away game to the 5th place team would not have fazed them .

of a little more imporance in the playoffs is the so called advantage of a free week for the top teams if they win there first game . this season and last season it hardly seems to have worked out as an advantage indeed it could have been a disadvantage coming up against teams battle hardened from previous weeks so perhaps going back to a strait playoff could be called for with no free weeks you know 1st v 8th ect .
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#220 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

When they said he'd dropped a bo##ock,I thought they meant he'd had a poor game.How wrong was I.
Shows what players put themselves through.
Just read his tweets and he's more gutted about missing mad Monday. :o

belive me that hurts
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users