Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

6. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

belive me that hurts

Missing Mad Monday?

#222 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Missing Mad Monday?

I miss it.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#223 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

im going to blame it for not going in tomorrow
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#224 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Just spoke to RoyBoy who said what a great day and occasion it was.

Seems he somehow blagged his way into one of the corporate hospitality suites at half time. I wonder what the suited and booted clientele of that particular lounge made of him wandering round in there.

I bet he was the only bloke in there with a parrot on his shoulder.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#225 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Just spoke to RoyBoy who said what a great day and occasion it was.

Seems he somehow blagged his way into one of the corporate hospitality suites at half time. I wonder what the suited and booted clientele of that particular lounge made of him wandering round in there.

I bet he was the only bloke in there with a parrot on his shoulder.

Wish I'd seen that.

#226 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

Aussies aren't always right and should never be followed with blind faith.

Complaints about the playoff system have been ongoing irrespective of the GF winner. It takes nothing away from Leeds achievements over the last two years, to suggest that the balance isn't quite right at the minute given the regular season has been devalued to an extent that finishing position is relatively unimportant. The GF was a great spectacle, as were the playoffs, but the SL season remains February - October, not just September / October, and the first seven months shouldn't feel as unimportant as they do under the current system.

Anyway congratulations Leeds, deserved champions as awarded under a system we were all aware of at the start of the season, irrespective of whether we agree with it or not.

And people will be bored if the season ends 3 or 4 weeks early if the title is already won in a first past the post.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#227 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

And people will be bored if the season ends 3 or 4 weeks early if the title is already won in a first past the post.

We don't have to scrap the play offs, just reduce the number of teams involved.

#228 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

So we reduce the number of teams in the playoffs and team x win it for 2 years running from the last playoff place,what then?

#229 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Grand finalist and cc holders - what an achievement for my club, so proud of them.
Warrington like Hull FC join Wigan, Leeds, Saints and Leeds as the only teams to play in a GF!!

Now - let's speak about the champion side, with the drive, desire and determination to win the big knock out matches.
Kevin Sinfield AGAIN proves how he can push his team around the park, captain marvellous.

Leeds the champions of Super League - fully deserved

Made up for TWIG he's a true gent.... Congrats to the other Leeds fans.

#230 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

I told my great friend Paul before Wembley "I am a jinx at wembley in last few years"but I wanted A wembley win for this group and At the time I would have exchanged A GF for a cc final win,but tonight I realise what this period of time means to the club and the city.Sincere wishes and hope you are ok Paul, I am certain your time will come.I was distraught after Wembley again

You did indeed say your a jinx when we met at wembley, I was hoping you'd pop over for the GF to carry on your jinx.

congrats mate..... Made up for you.

I'm so proud of warrington! They've had a great year.

Leeds were the champions and still our the champions.

They'll take some beating next year!!

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 07 October 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#231 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Leeds won because Warrington forgot how to take a pass in.

Also Lee Briers brought his most predictable, pedestrian kicking game I've seen him play in a long time.

Hope everyone in the mass brawl in the East Stand gets the full punishment they deserve too.

#232 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Simply brilliant game. Loved every minute of it and thought Leeds were nothing short of immense.

Chuffed for terywebbisgod and even more pleased that pmjwires has nothing to shout about

I've nothing to shout about - CC 3 times in 4 years, a LLS and now grand finalist!!

If that's not worth shouting about I don't know what is???

Trophies in our new cabinet in our new ground!!

Wigan, bulls, Leeds, saints, hull FC and warrington only clubs to play on a GF!!

So yep, plenty to shout about!!

It's about time SL got rid of the lesser clubs, especially the ones with old grounds who offer nothing to super league!

#233 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Just watched the game again on the recording and enjoyed it yet again. Brilliant atmosphere - the best for some time. Congratulations to Warrington and their fans, they were a pleasure to chat to!

What people have to remember is that winning it twice from 5th is likely to be a huge coincidence. The SL is not very old. When you can look back on 50 odd years of SL playoffs (5, 6 or 8 teams whatever) then teams will have won it from all positions. Maybe the only one that will stand out in 2060 is Salford winning it from 8th in 2020.

Anyway stop moaning. It's the best game on the planet by a long way.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#234 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

What an occasion at Old Trafford.

Sport at its best! Congratulations to both sides. And that means to them all ..........

To the players, their captains and superb, professional coaches, their clubs and everyone involved at both. From the Chairmen to whoever imagines him-or-herself least worthy, it takes teamwork - top to bottom - if sports men and women are to maintain that total focus on what they are there to do. To win; to try and try and try and try to win; to ride, run, jump or play hard and fast but never dirty, and ultimately, when the day is theirs, to wear the laurels with grace and a measure of humility.

Or if the glory goes elsewhere to accept the disappointment of losing with fortitude and honesty, holding heads up high with the pride that belongs to excellence.

We have had a wonderful year, this year, of affirmations that excellence is alive and well in `Sport Britannia', and for me last night's game was up there with the best.

:-)

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#235 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

Grand finalist and cc holders - what an achievement for my club, so proud of them.
Warrington like Hull FC join Wigan, Leeds, Saints and Leeds as the only teams to play in a GF!!

Shouldn't one of the Leeds references be replaced by another club, known as Bradford Bulls?

#236 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

So we reduce the number of teams in the playoffs and team x win it for 2 years running from the last playoff place,what then?

Then they will be worthy winners having done it the really hard way.

The play offs are meant to produce games like last nights, not several one sided hammerings. Top 8 dilutes both the play offs and the full season. Of course Leeds didn't aim for 5th spot but knowing there were 8 places up for grabs clearly isn't driving teams to bust a gut for the rest of the season. Believe it or not, this isn't about Leeds as such, it applies to all.

#237 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Then they will be worthy winners having done it the really hard way.

The play offs are meant to produce games like last nights, not several one sided hammerings. Top 8 dilutes both the play offs and the full season. Of course Leeds didn't aim for 5th spot but knowing there were 8 places up for grabs clearly isn't driving teams to bust a gut for the rest of the season. Believe it or not, this isn't about Leeds as such, it applies to all.

I know it's not all about Leeds .I think Wakey did actually bust a gut to get into the 8.

#238 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

I know it's not all about Leeds .I think Wakey did actually bust a gut to get into the 8.

And at the risk of stirring up some Wakey fans, they only got their by default. Not a high enough standard for the play offs.

#239 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

And at the risk of stirring up some Wakey fans, they only got their by default. Not a high enough standard for the play offs.

Wasn't the top 8 introduced to give teams more to play for,would that happen if we went back to 5.If i remember correctly the playoffs were normally decided about 3/4 of the way through the season when it was top 5.

#240 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Don't you find it strange that a team finishing in the bottom half of the table, has the opportunity to be involved in the playoffs? For mine, it has to be a top six, maximum, with some form of benefit for finishing top.