Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

6. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

Don't you find it strange that a team finishing in the bottom half of the table, has the opportunity to be involved in the playoffs? For mine, it has to be a top six, maximum, with some form of benefit for finishing top.

the top team ,get two bites at the cherry,surely that's a benefit.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#242 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hope everyone in the mass brawl in the East Stand gets the full punishment they deserve too.

I was in the Upper Tier North Stand and did not see any of this inside or outside the ground although having spent the afternoon at the BARLA matches at Heywood Road it was a case of straight up from Old Trafford metrolink head to where the Yorkshire Programmes crew were selling the badges then into the ground and after the game straight to Exchange Quay for the tram to my B&B over in Ladywell so I can't comment on the atmosphere in the pubs near the ground this year. What I would say is there were fewer neutrals this year than at any other year, at least in club gear., I was the only visible Bronco and you could see knots of lads in both ends supporting the other team which was noticable when the tries were scored. I thought to myself that would not go down too well and from reading elsewhere it did'nt..

Cracking game though as someone who would not want Mac to win an Egg cup let along the Grand Final - again - after his term as London Coach. I'm Gutted... :(

Have not read the thread through but some of the comments are similar to those on the Metrolink last night, hey who cares if Leeds were fifth after the regular season. Everyone knew the rules before the season started. One day someone will win from seventh or eighth spot putting it together for four games. Change it if the majority of feeling in game feels this bizzare but don't deny the achievement of those who have played by the rules as they currently stand this season..

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#243 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

the top team ,get two bites at the cherry,surely that's a benefit.

As do other teams. There is no benefit to being the most consistent side through the course of as season.

#244 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

As do other teams. There is no benefit to being the most consistent side through the course of as season.

They also get the gimmick which is clubcall,where they in theory pick the weakest team to play.

#245 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

They also get the gimmick which is clubcall,where they in theory pick the weakest team to play.

So in reality, it is a hinderance!

#246 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

From a Wire fan who couldn't be there....

Fantastic evening of sport. I thought the pre match minute of applause was spot on. The atmosphere looked tremendous and came over wonderfully on the television.

Leeds had their game plan spot on and strangled the life out of the Wire attack. A fantastic, close game which until the last Leeds try could have gone either way. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Off to commiserate with myself with a gallon of rose wine.

Enjoy the party Loiners, you deserved it.

well said

#247 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Going to Catalans and then Wigan away in 2 weeks, beating both then beating a really good Wire team in the final. For me, no other team apart from this Leeds team could do that. Thats not a joke its just class from a world class team. thought Sinfield and Delaney were quality tonight.

No wonder we dont get any media coverage with Rugby League fans like they are, there has just been 80 minutes of awesome rugby League in front of 70,000 people and we still get people moaning about it.

Just enjoy it ffs!!!

totally agree..accentuate the positive

#248 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Late as usual! Cracking game, one of the best GFs in history for me - that it was in the balance until the last 8 mins is testament to that. Certainly one of the best GFs I've been to. We took one of my duaghters mates with us for her GF/RL debut and I warned her that it would be the noisiest sporting occaision that she'd ever experience and I was right! Atmosphere was absolutely superb and the fanzone was great again - even if there didn't seem to be any freebies. Also had to explain how it was allowed that a group of Leeds fans could happily sit in an area full of Warrington fans. My answer - "because its rugby league".
Saw a bit of trouble among the fans in the Wire end, but wouldn't call it a mass braw and seemed to be dealt with fairly quickly. Somewhat disappointed that the people behind me couldn't complete a sentence without effing & jeffing - its not big & its not clever. However, this was more that balanced by a very friendly collection of Leeds speccies sat directly in front of me.
As for the game as a whole I thought it had pretty much everything and (much as I hate to say it) you have to have some admiration for Leeds for the way they manage to turn it on for this game. Well done.
And finally....this game more than any other gave me a good idea where the RFL should look for their main sponsor for 2103. The suppliers of incontinence pants (Tena) would entirely appropriate - especially for the five blokes on our row who in & out of the loo every five minutes! If you're going to drink your own bodyweight in ale at least have the decency to hold it in / have a catheter fitted or wear a nappy!! Hmmmm the Tena Superleague.....it might just have legs!!

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#249 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

So in reality, it is a hinderance!

Only if you don't win B)

#250 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

great game for the neutral - Leeds brilliant yet again, well played

Carl Ablett is one heck of a player - why doesn't he get the recognition ?

England selection...

#251 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Leeds won with only one Aussie & one Kiwi, hopefully that goes some way to stop the constant urging for teams to sign Aussies.

agreed. Zak and Kallum have seamlessly added to the Rhino team. Ward now joins production line. Wire have promising under 20s who need to be brought into 1st team set up in a similar way.

#252 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Wasn't the top 8 introduced to give teams more to play for,would that happen if we went back to 5.If i remember correctly the playoffs were normally decided about 3/4 of the way through the season when it was top 5.

I believe that was the intention and I can understand that, we don't have a Euro element to give lower placed teams something to aspire to so I can see why it was tried. But it isn't working.

Most games are poor with low crowds, we'd be better off having fewer games but greater contests. What we have at present is not good enough.

And if the top 5 were determined relatively early, that would suggest the top teams were involved, not the stragglers.

As I remember it, under the 12 team SL, come September we usually got 4 teams at the top, 4 more trying to get 5th place and 4 more fighting relegation. It was definitely better overall.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#253 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Well, disappointed in the result but i had a great day!

Glad people thought it was a great game, sometimes you're not sure whether it is just because you are getting caught up in it.

Some pathetic comments from the usual on here who find it difficult to enjoy what we have.

Leeds were excellent, I was generally pleased with us apart from a couple of areas. kick return from our fb was dire and always had us on the back foot, and our kicking was inconsistent. Once again at Wire we see when one or two of our key players underperform we are beatable, although thats no different to other teams tbf.

Well done Leeds!

agreed. Disappointed with Lee's kicking and rest of teams chasing. Curious too know if Carvell fit. I would have played him. Big game experience.

#254 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

so should the number of teams in SL be reduced back to 12.

#255 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

so should the number of teams in SL be reduced back to 12.

I don't think this is necessarily the answer but something needs doing to ensure rounds 1-27 aren't just a series of half hearted affairs.

Oh and by the way, congratulations to Leeds. Whatever else I might think, it was a terrific performance.

I'm ordering my Storm top now though. ;)

Edited by Johnoco, 07 October 2012 - 03:42 PM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#256 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

My Wire scores ...just for fun...Hodgson 6, Riley 6, Atkins 6, Ratchford 6, Monas J 6, Briers 5, Myler 7, Harrison 7, Higham 7 Hill 5, Waterhouse 5, Westwood 6, Grix 6. Morley 6, Wood 6, Monas M 6, Cooper 6.

Sinfield 9, Burrow 8 (should never be a sub again!) Peacock 8

#257 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I don't think this is necessarily the answer but something needs doing to ensure rounds 1-27 aren't just a series of half hearted affairs.

Oh and by the way, congratulations to Leeds. Whatever else I might think, it was a terrific performance.

I'm ordering my Storm top now though. ;)

Storm should walk the WCC,different class.

#258 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Storm should walk the WCC,different class.

Here we go again......

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#259 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Here we go again......

Being realistic.What happened last time we played Melbourne.Especially as the game is rumoured to be played in Oz.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 07 October 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#260 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hope everyone in the mass brawl in the East Stand gets the full punishment they deserve too.

I was in the Upper Tier North Stand and did not see any of this inside or outside the ground.

We were in the East Stand until the players left and didn't see any of this.

Although I hope the scrote who threw a full bottle of beer from high up gets what he deserves. It missed my wife by an inch and fortunately landed in the only empty seat in front of her. Could have been very nasty.

Why have thay changed the beer policy to bottles of nasty ###### that you can't take to your seat? This just encourages people to neck as much as possible outside - what was wrong with carrying in a pint in flimsy plastic?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users