Photo
- - - - -

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

6. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#261 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

We were in the East Stand until the players left and didn't see any of this.

Although I hope the scrote who threw a full bottle of beer from high up gets what he deserves. It missed my wife by an inch and fortunately landed in the only empty seat in front of her. Could have been very nasty.

Why have thay changed the beer policy to bottles of nasty ###### that you can't take to your seat? This just encourages people to neck as much as possible outside - what was wrong with carrying in a pint in flimsy plastic?

bizzarely because we bought our tickets months ago we, a group of Wire fans were in the centre of East stand and can I say i saw no aggro

#262 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

Well trust me, it happened. Just because you didnt see it doesnt mean it didnt.

Two rows in the upper east side, just before kick off erupted into a giant punchup. Some people were let back in some time later, clearly when the police had sorted it out, but those rows remained empty for the rest of the evening, ~ Block E239 I think

#263 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Two rows in the upper east side, just before kick off erupted into a giant punchup. Some people were let back in some time later, clearly when the police had sorted it out, but those rows remained empty for the rest of the evening, ~ Block E239 I think

ah those bulls fans
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#264 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

believe you! I was in E235

#265 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Just watched the beeb coverage and thought it was v good too. Thoughts. Burrow should be never be used as a sub again - too dangerous a player. Hall disallowed try v unlucky. Warrington wasted opportunities to build pressure like when Myler broke and then kicked poorly ahead. Silly penalties like Coopers for a high tackle which resulted immediately in 6 points for Rhinos. Wire poor ball handling knock ons Atkins, Harrison, Ratchford, Waterhouse and Higham. Weak tackling Riley/Hodgson for BJB try. Subsequently Rhino had a lot more possession and made it pay. Too many aimless last tackle kicks from briers not properly chased by team, yet massive Rhino efforts all over the park. Ablett v Briers terrible mismatch from Wire point of view.

Sinfield was everywhere and 40-20 just capped awesome performance. One of best games seen Peacock play recently. Rhinos deserved winners. We will be back...hopefully

Edited by adelwire, 07 October 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#266 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Naturally im disappointed, but strangely not gutted. We're getting there and still learning.

My thoughts exactly last night. I texted adelwire when I got home and I quote my own words "I'm not too gutted to be honest, we've had a great year and it makes next year more of a challenge".

I woke up this morning with that awful, nauseous sinking feeling, but I think that's more to do with all the stick I'll be facing from Leeds fans.

On a slightly sour note, I think the RFL needs to talk to sky about the kick off time. I've never seen so many hammered people who had obviously been on the pop all day. It wasn't pleasant at all. My kids spotted all the scrapping in the west stand and I struggled to explain it to them.

Oh well, anyway, well done Leeds, fully deserved on the day.

#267 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Leeds have a great record in the GF, but 5th place in the league tells its own story (Leeds were definitely 2nd best in the GF last year until the injuries to Wellens and Shenton made a complete mess of the Saints team structure).

So it depends on whether we see the 'ordinary' Wire of the 1st half of the Saints game, or the unstoppable Wire of the 2nd half (the same unstoppable force that completely routed Saints and Wigan in successive games towards the end of the season).

It's not impossible for Leeds to edge it if Wire don't play to their best, but I have a feeling that we're going to see the unstoppable version. If Wire get on a roll early then it could be a big score.

No repeat for Leeds this year - Wire by 20!

Keep taking the tablets!

#268 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

On a slightly sour note, I think the RFL needs to talk to sky about the kick off time. I've never seen so many hammered people who had obviously been on the pop all day. It wasn't pleasant at all. My kids spotted all the scrapping in the west stand and I struggled to explain it to them.

Don't think its a sour note at all and I'd support the kick off moving if it cuts down on the number of people clearly off their faces. There was no trouble near us, but we saw one chap go base over apex down the stairs to his seat and another being helped up the other way while vomiting every few steps. Both had obviously had more than a quick one before the game. Its been like this for a good few years now and merits a serious rethink.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#269 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,360 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

In a crowd of 70k+ you will get a few idiots/tanked up clowns etc. Its inevitable. No need for panic, its still a small minority.

#270 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

As a neutral who regularly attends the Grand Final i am enthusiastic seeing the number of families who attend the game. It is heartwarming to see the children, some quite young, enjoying themselves in apparent safety. I remember when I was young and excited.
The young are our future and I hope they will beg their mothers and fathers to take them to games at all levels.
Great game .great atmosphere.

#271 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,568 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

So much whingeing on this thread - has it been hijacked by Australians? ;)

Great match, big noisy crowd, and a well-deserved win for Sinfield and his team. Also, plenty of positivity from various non-RL folk who either watched the match or the BBC highlights.

In a stunning year for British sport, RL hasn't let the side down.

Edited by Futtocks, 08 October 2012 - 09:23 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#272 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,568 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Dave Woods tweets: Paul Wood ruptures testicle; Kevin Sinfield gets knocked out; Luis Suarez falls over. Amazingly they all got up and played on.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#273 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

One thing that many people seem to overlook at this time of the year when Leeds win again, is that for the 2nd year running the Grand Final and the eventual Winners were not really predicted by anyone either at the start of the year or during the course of the season.

We often get this - 'SL is predictable' - 'Wire and Wigan' are miles ahead - when the fact is that we have still not had a Wire v Wigan Grand Final and we once again got the underdogs winning the whole comp.

Now isn't the time to moan about the format again, now is the time to enjoy the positivity that the GF has created from everybody apart from some Rugby League fans.

#274 upyershirt

upyershirt
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Dave Woods tweets: Paul Wood ruptures testicle; Kevin Sinfield gets knocked out; Luis Suarez falls over. Amazingly they all got up and played on.

Says it all doesn't it. We should be proud of the spectacle that a great game of rugby league is. I have read most of the posts on this thread and can't believe the number of moaners. "Saintslass" you need a reality pill! The grand final has done exactly what it was designed to do, create excitement at the end of a gruelling season (nobody plays rugby at this level not to win or commit) and produce a play off series that was absolutely brilliant, remember also that the game has to appeal to the TV audience, thats where the money comes from now and in the future.

Isn't it great to hear rival fans congratulating their opponents and admitting that the best team won? Some fans obviously don't understand that others really do appreciate the game for what it is.

Should have been more stewards readily available to get rid of the loonatics who can't handle their beer, they are not the people we want to see at a rugby match. On the positive side great to see so many families enjoying real entertainment!

Well done Leeds I bet you can't aim for fifth again and win the Grand Final after a "take it easy" season oh and get to the challenge cup final and nearly forgot win the World Club Challenge!!!!!

Sinfield the most under rated "sportsman" there is.

#275 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

What people have to remember is that winning it twice from 5th is likely to be a huge coincidence. The SL is not very old. When you can look back on 50 odd years of SL playoffs (5, 6 or 8 teams whatever) then teams will have won it from all positions.

I think it was 1972-3 that Dewsbury won from 8th!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#276 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

I think it was 1972-3 that Dewsbury won from 8th!

I bet they coasted all season too.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#277 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

so should the number of teams in SL be reduced back to 12.

Someone on twitter earlier was saying we should drop to 8 teams!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#278 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Someone on twitter earlier was saying we should drop to 8 teams!

:rolleyes:
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#279 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

On the atmosphere - I think it was generally positive, but it is easy to see that some people could have been quite intimidated.

My girlfriend has only been to a handful of games, she loved Wembley this year, but stated quite early on that the atmosphere was completely different and she didn't particularly like it in the pubs beforehand and hated it afterwards.

Despite Wire fans being completely outnumbered in Sam Platts before the match I thought the atmosphere stayed friendly enough, the Leeds fans were friendly enough. After the match I thought this changed, and we moved away from a group of fans who were intent on goading Wire fans - it turned out these were Widnes fans rather than Leeds. Luckily they headed off into town no doubt looking for trouble (after they had thrown pints all over a fair few people) and the atmosphere calmed down in there.

In the ground there were plenty of drunken people but nothing too bad, although I think a lot of it is down to luck on where you are sitting. We did see the trouble before the match in the Leeds end, although I certainly wouldn't describe it as a mass brawl. There were only actually a few stewards/police sorting this out and it seemed to be taken under control quickly.

Whilst I like the evening kick off, I would be supportive of a move to afternoon to try and retain that family atmosphere, unfortunately some people let the rest down, although I do think it was maybe 30-40 people overall out of a massive crowd. The problem is all it takes is a kid, or an elderly person to get innocently caught up and it becomes a bigger issue.

#280 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

My girlfriend has only been to a handful of games, she loved Wembley this year, but stated quite early on that the atmosphere was completely different and she didn't particularly like it in the pubs beforehand and hated it afterwards.

Despite Wire fans being completely outnumbered in Sam Platts before the match I thought the atmosphere stayed friendly enough, the Leeds fans were friendly enough. After the match I thought this changed, and we moved away from a group of fans who were intent on goading Wire fans - it turned out these were Widnes fans rather than Leeds. Luckily they headed off into town no doubt looking for trouble (after they had thrown pints all over a fair few people) and the atmosphere calmed down in there.

I was in Sam Platts beforehand, it all seemed quite well spirited. Primarily, the Leeds fans were outside and in fine voice, inside was really quiet. It is an obvious place to go, such is it's proximity to Old Trafford, but I won't be visiting again, a little too congested for my liking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users