TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
295 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

6. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#281 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

I think it was 1972-3 that Dewsbury won from 8th!

And we then dropped play offs - concentrating our competitive football on the mediocre teams scrapping for relegation.

Coincidentally we haven't beaten the Australians in a match that counted since.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#282 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

Can't complain about the result as we were largely second best for most of the game. Leeds played an excellent passing game and stopped us playing ours and looked dangerous almost every time they went forward. Going from 14-6 up to 18-14 down either side of half-time would have knocked the stuffing out of some teams but not this time. And whilst it's true that we were on the receiving end of several bizarre Silverwood decisions I don't believe it would have made any difference. Had we not dropped the ball with the tryline beckoning in the last few minutes then who knows what would have happened but that's just pointless speculation.
So I'll offer congratulations to Leeds who have superbly played the system again and were worthy winners of Saturday night's game.

Last new RL ground (83): Langtree Park, St Helens - Leeds v Warrington 9/8/14

#283 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

If people feel that the SL championship is slightly devalued by Leeds winning from 5th two years running, surely the corollary of that is that the status of the league leaders at the end of the regular season is somewhat enhanced?

And isn't that perhaps a good thing?

If enough people are of the view that Leeds are merely the end-of-season knockout winners, and Wigan are the more worthy champions (I don't necessarily count myself in that group), then fan power alone should ensure that teams put enough emphasis on finishing top. And it would do no harm for the 'Bradford hub cap' to be treated as a genuine trophy of the same stature as the 'Grand Final Thingy' and the Challenge Cup.

So let's keep the current playoff system, and let's have 3 big trophies to play for every year.

#284 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Problem being IMO, that you cannot replicate the intensity of a GF if more importance has been given to the LLS.
Its the all or nothing nature of the game that makes it so good.

How you raise the status of coming top without lowering the GF is a tricky one.

#285 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

I was stopped in the corridor at work today by someone who isn't an RL fan.

He said he had watched the Grand Final and what a great advert and sport it is.

He wants to go to a live game, he did compare the antics of footballers to Sinfield and his face was a picture when I told him about Wood.

How can we capitalise on this?

#286 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

How can we capitalise on this?

We need to abandon the play offs and ensure Leigh can fight relegation every other year.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#287 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

I've just finished watching the Grand Final on TV (because I went to the game) and, other than thinking what a marvelous sport we have and how well the whole event came across on TV, I couldn't help notice the lack of a penalty for the most obvious offside that I have ever seen.

Posted Image

This was at a time when Warrington were desperate for a penalty, at the end of the game.

The ref must be struggling to see the PTB because of the off side players.

If I were a Warrington fan, I would have been livid! Reminded me of Joynt's voluntry tackle against Bradford - why are ref's reluctant to give obvious penalties towards the end of big games?

#288 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

The ref the week before had been reluctant to give a penalty against Hall for lying on, but less reluctant to give one for offside against Farrell, so these things even out. :)

#289 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

these things even out. :)

Yes,correct,he gave a knock on against Lunt when Goulding knocked the ball out and Lunt didn't lose control. :)
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#290 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

Did anyone see my Tweet on the big screen on Saturday? Someone messaged me to tell me. Was quite chuffed with that! :)

#291 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Havnt seen the game again, apologies if thios was discussed in the previous 14 pages but how did the disallowed Leeds try look? At first the commentators said forward then Carney said flat - which?

I watched the game on a big screen outside, irony of ironies, the Manchester City Supporters club bar in Buggiba, Malta and the picture cracked up a few times

#292 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

Looked a bit forward to me on the replays. Not by a lot, though.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#293 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Leeds won with only one Aussie & one Kiwi, hopefully that goes some way to stop the constant urging for teams to sign Aussies.

I've just been watching SL Backchat from just after the Challenge Cup Final. Apparently, Leeds' problem is that they only had 2 overseas players in the squad and need to sign more Aussies if they want to win things!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#294 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

I think the evening kick off is deliberate policy. It adds to the atmosphere especially when it is raining.

Just need a proper strategy to sort out the idiots.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#295 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

I think the evening kick off is deliberate policy. It adds to the atmosphere especially when it is raining.

Just need a proper strategy to sort out the idiots.

Yes, I remember Maurice Lyndsay talking about the unique atmosphere the floodlit final brings, and I do agree. I think it differentiates the event from the Challenge Cup Final.

We probably just have to live with the fact that we will have drunk fans at the event - maybe family areas could be introduced which has a zero tolerance policy on alcohol.

#296 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

It annoys me in those big games I.E GF and international games when the drunks have to persist in doing that mexican wave when poe are trying to watch the game
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK