Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

6. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

I think TS has already admitted he has a selection problem in either keeping Cooper in or selecting Carvell,plus the option of selecting Mcarthy.

Yep - and we know that Smith has no issues with changing a winning team. I think McCarthy has lost his spot now, Grix has finally earned his spot in a Final team IMHO.
Carvell is a tough one - to replace a player who has performed brilliantly in the last few weeks with somebody who could be seen as a risk if he takes a big shot is a massive gamble.

#22 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Yep - and we know that Smith has no issues with changing a winning team. I think McCarthy has lost his spot now, Grix has finally earned his spot in a Final team IMHO.
Carvell is a tough one - to replace a player who has performed brilliantly in the last few weeks with somebody who could be seen as a risk if he takes a big shot is a massive gamble.

Cooper was the stand out PLAYER when he came onto the scene V Saints and did a decent stint in the other playoff match as well. Carvell can be good, he can also be very poor and is a bit of liability on too many occasions also.

Cooper would I believe be a safer bet and his exhuberance at Saints would cement him the selection for me.

#23 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Cooper was the stand out PLAYER when he came onto the scene V Saints and did a decent stint in the other playoff match as well. Carvell can be good, he can also be very poor and is a bit of liability on too many occasions also.

Cooper would I believe be a safer bet and his exhuberance at Saints would cement him the selection for me.

It can backfire if Carvell is not fit - See Keith Senior in the 2005 challenge cup final (also coached by Tony Smith).

#24 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Warrington should win this ,but this great Leeds side's record is there for all to see since 2004,and its still hanging in there while it is in transition and getting to the Grand Final fro 5th two years running is a fair achievement too.When it was Saints and Leeds and Bulls who were way above the rest,Either of thos 3 teams actually won the GF.So dont denigrate Leeds for still hanging in there.Best wishes to all wire fans enjoy the day.No predictions from me
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#25 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Warrington by 6.

#26 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

... everyone's going but me, but I'll be fine; watch the match in 3D and have a curry night.

I'm not going either.

My mate has an album launch party the same night, but I'll be watching it in a pub in Leeds. Will be nice to watch with other fans around :)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#27 Mr Rugby League

Mr Rugby League
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

The match will be very close, particularly during the first half but Warrington will likely pull away as they did against Saints, especially if they have good territory and a high set completion. I reckon the final score will be Warrington 28 - Leeds 10.

Agreed. Carvell is undoubtedly a great assett and adds some strength to the warrington pack although he is unlikely to be 100% fit come Saturday. Cooper clearly had a point to prove against Saints and showed he is worthy of a place at Old Trafford.

#28 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Doesnt matter whether carvell or cooper starts....they'll no doubt interchange for impact at various stages

#29 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

Agree Mike Cooper has played really well in the playoffs. Carvell, now fit, must play. Subs Morley, M Monaghan, Wood and Cooper. But this would be very harsh on McCarthy and especially Grix.

#30 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

My Team
  • B Hodgson
  • J Moans
  • S Ratchford
  • R Atkins
  • C Riley
  • L Briers
  • R Myler
  • C Hill
  • M Higham
  • G Carvell
  • T Waterhouse
  • B Westwood
  • B Harrison
  • M Monas
  • S Girx
  • M Cooper
  • A Morley
That's my team - Morley lucky to be in it, but just gets my nod over Wood
Tyke McCarthy has been solid since july, but he's had two Wembley finals and I think TS will give Grix the nod as back to the backs!!!

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

I may be tempted to start Michael Monaghan, start all guns blazing.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

I may be tempted to start Michael Monaghan, start all guns blazing.

Mickey Higham is having his best season for a long time - Monas is struggling with his knees.

Monas is doing a better job coming off the bench - But needs to up his game!!

#33 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Should be a good game and closer than the cup final with McGuire back. We will definately have more in attack anyway. Leeds have a knack of building week on week from the start of September and hitting their peak in the last 2 weeks of the playoffs. I think Saturday will be a low scoring game where both teams have to earn their points. I think wire have the better attack but Leeds the better defence at the moment.

I can't chose but I do think the winner will only be ahead by a couple at the hooter, maybe even GP. 14-12 either way IMO and good luck Wire fans. Enjoy your day. The Grand final atmosphere will be like nothing you've ever experienced for those who've never been. For me I take it over the cup any day.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#34 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

I'm really looking forward to this.

Wire to win.

#35 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

just seen silverwood is ref so

Leeds's forward passes will be penalised! ;)

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#36 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

The match will be very close, particularly during the first half but Warrington will likely pull away as they did against Saints, especially if they have good territory and a high set completion.

Almost word-for-word what I was going to post. I think we'll need to be on the very top of our game and not get stage fright.

Leeds are obviously used to this grand final malarkey, so its all about whether Wire can perform to the best of our ability. If we do, we've every chance of winning it.

I might just need sedating if we do.

#37 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Leeds's forward passes will be penalised! ;)

As long as they catch Briars knock ons as well that will do for me. ;-) :-)

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#38 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Leeds rely on Sinfield to get them around the park and him, Burrow and McGuire to wreak havoc in attack to score points. At Wembley there was no McGuire and Wire looked after Sinny well. Last week Leeds barely looked like scoring without McGuire but Sinfield stood up again behind really solid pack men.

Without McGuire again it would be a Wire win no doubt for me. With him back, though, it's feeling mighty even.

Shame the GF couldn't have been between Wigan and Warrington at their best this year as that would have been awesome, but I still reckon it'll be a low scoring cracker.

Edited by Mushy, 03 October 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#39 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

Leeds rely on Sinfield to get them around the park and him, Burrow and McGuire to wreak havoc in attack to score points. At Wembley there was no McGuire and Wire looked after Sinny well. Last week Leeds barely looked like scoring without McGuire but Sinfield stood up again behind really solid pack men.

Without McGuire again it would be a Wire win no doubt for me. With him back, though, it's feeling mighty even.

Shame the GF couldn't have been between Wigan and Warrington at their best this year as that would have been awesome, but I still reckon it'll be a low scoring cracker.

Can't fault that logic. I wonder whether we will never see Wigan Wire in a major final with both at their best. By Saturday they could have won 8 out of 9 domestic trophies in the last 3 years without having properly locked horns (save possibly in last year's Cup quarter final?).

#40 langer7

langer7
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Warrington famously smashed Wigan in the semi final en route to winning their first trophy in decades in 2009.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users