Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

6. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

That's true. For some reason that slipped my mind.

#42 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

That's true. For some reason that slipped my mind.

It's never left mine! That was our real 'breakthrough' match, beating Wigan when it really mattered for the first time in living memory.

#43 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm gonna go against the grain here and call a Leeds win.

Yes, Wire have the league wins and cup final to draw confidence from but I think the occassion may get the better of them and Leeds have walked this path too many times before......Wire to choke whilst the golden trio (Sinfield/McGuire/Burrow) to shine as per.....

#44 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

It's entirely possible mate. Hope not, obviously, but Leeds have been there and done it. The weight of expectation is on Wire and its ours to lose.

Btw, anyone know the official twitter hashtag?

(null)

#45 Mikeyg

Mikeyg
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

I said in the semi-final thread that if Wire beat Saints they'd win the Grand Final, so I'm going to stick to that. I won't lie though, I kinda said that expecting them to be facing Wigan. On the one hand, Warrington's cup form against Leeds would seem to indicate that they're not afraid of Leeds in knock-out football, but then last year's semi is stuck in the back of my mind.

The closer the game is, the more Warrington have to fear Leeds and confront their own demons.

#46 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

well i thought wigan would stuff the rhinos,how wrong was i,the weather forecast is dodgy and we all know leeds like a wet GF night,its a 50/50 for me,drop goal 79th minute would be nice :)

#47 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Weather forecast is dry for Saturday , unless Manchester has moved!

Sunny afternoon Saturday

#48 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

Morally Wigan are champs but even though I'm from Yorkshire I'll go for Wires seen as they havn't started playing in the last 3 week.

#49 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Leeds have a great record in the GF, but 5th place in the league tells its own story (Leeds were definitely 2nd best in the GF last year until the injuries to Wellens and Shenton made a complete mess of the Saints team structure).

So it depends on whether we see the 'ordinary' Wire of the 1st half of the Saints game, or the unstoppable Wire of the 2nd half (the same unstoppable force that completely routed Saints and Wigan in successive games towards the end of the season).

It's not impossible for Leeds to edge it if Wire don't play to their best, but I have a feeling that we're going to see the unstoppable version. If Wire get on a roll early then it could be a big score.

No repeat for Leeds this year - Wire by 20!

#50 langer7

langer7
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

Morally Wigan are champs but even though I'm from Yorkshire I'll go for Wires seen as they havn't started playing in the last 3 week.

That's a bit tough on Warrington. Everyone knows the rules before the start of the season, and Warrington learned last year that winning the league gives you nothing but the dubious club call "honour". As a result, this year Tony Smith did not have winning the league as a priority and rested players frequently throughout the season which resulted in the odd unexpected defeat (Salford, London etc). However in the big games he played a full strength team and this saw Warrington win the cup, and defeat Wigan at home and away, and qualify for the grand final. Wigan showed themselves to be the most consistent team throughout the season, but I dont think you can call them the moral champs or say they are the best team, given the context of Warrington's performances this season.

On the one hand, Warrington's cup form against Leeds would seem to indicate that they're not afraid of Leeds in knock-out football, but then last year's semi is stuck in the back of my mind.

The closer the game is, the more Warrington have to fear Leeds and confront their own demons.

I don't think last year's playoff semi will be too much concern for Warrington. It's not as if they massively choked. It was a tough, tight game and Leeds played very well to win, with the match ultimately decided by a controversial offside penalty decision at the behest of a touch judge - Warrington know that Leeds at the best will be very tough to beat, but I think they are also confident enough to know that if they play to their best, then they are the better team.

I do think that Leeds have an underlying confidence about this game that they didn't have for the Challenge Cup Final, and that certainly makes the match-up all the more intriguing. I can't wait.

#51 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

wigan knew the rules bfore the season started as did all other teams in the league so your point is wrong
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#52 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

So it depends on whether we see the 'ordinary' Wire of the 1st half of the Saints game, or the unstoppable Wire of the 2nd half (the same unstoppable force that completely routed Saints and Wigan in successive games towards the end of the season).

I think that this is slightly harsh on both teams tbh.

I thought Saints were excellent in that first half, and still pretty good in that 2nd.
I thought Wire were very good in the first half and brilliant in the 2nd. Despite Saints having all the territory in the 1st half, Wire still scored two nice slick tries, much the same as Saints. The only actual difference on the scoreboard was the try from the massive bomb that Hodgson fumbled.

We kept it tight in the 1st and did the hard work which allowed us to go and play some of the great RL with the ball when we got into field position, which was always going to happen at some point.

The difference between the 1st game against Saints and the 2nd game against them was impressive, and was possibly the most pleasing thing for us, we seemed to learn from our mistakes, and that’s all you can ask.

On Saturday it’s anybody’s game tbh. I do believe we are the better team, but then Wigan are also better than Leeds and over an 80 minute period anything can happen.

Just hope for a full house a great atmosphere and some great tries.

#53 brooza

brooza
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Weather forecast is dry for Saturday , unless Manchester has moved!

Sunny afternoon Saturday

I see rain forecast for Saturday, and these are usually pretty accurate: http://www.yr.no/pla...ester/long.html
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#54 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

BBC weather is taken from the MET office......so quite trustworthy.....forecast on there is fine in mancsville for sat

#55 brooza

brooza
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

BBC weather is taken from the MET office......so quite trustworthy.....forecast on there is fine in mancsville for sat

I've been burned by the met office enough over the years, I've moved to the Norwegian Meteorological Institute instead. They'd better do right by me this weekend!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#56 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

I've always found the BBC forecasts to be terrible. Often they'll change a forecast throughout the day - I suspect they just look out of the window at the time!

#57 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

I don't think last year's playoff semi will be too much concern for Warrington. It's not as if they massively choked. It was a tough, tight game and Leeds played very well to win, with the match ultimately decided by a controversial offside penalty decision at the behest of a touch judge -

Just to avoid any further revision of history - there was nothing controversial about that decision. He was clearly offside. Now if it had been a routine play it may have been considered harsh in the context of the game, although still fair enough. But by being offside Warrington closed down Sinfield who was in the process of aiming for the winning drop goal. The officials had no option but to give the penalty.

#58 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Turns out lil bro isn't going now. Shame, peace and quiet would have been nice!

And he's on standard definition, which is 1-2 seconds ahead of HD, and takes great revellry is shouting and cheering to spoil things!!

Fingers crossed the pub comes a calling for him.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#59 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

That's a bit tough on Warrington. Everyone knows the rules before the start of the season, and Warrington learned last year that winning the league gives you nothing but the dubious club call "honour". As a result, this year Tony Smith did not have winning the league as a priority and rested players frequently throughout the season which resulted in the odd unexpected defeat (Salford, London etc). However in the big games he played a full strength team and this saw Warrington win the cup, and defeat Wigan at home and away, and qualify for the grand final. Wigan showed themselves to be the most consistent team throughout the season, but I dont think you can call them the moral champs or say they are the best team, given the context of Warrington's performances this season.

I don't think last year's playoff semi will be too much concern for Warrington. It's not as if they massively choked. It was a tough, tight game and Leeds played very well to win, with the match ultimately decided by a controversial offside penalty decision at the behest of a touch judge - Warrington know that Leeds at the best will be very tough to beat, but I think they are also confident enough to know that if they play to their best, then they are the better team.

I do think that Leeds have an underlying confidence about this game that they didn't have for the Challenge Cup Final, and that certainly makes the match-up all the more intriguing. I can't wait.

A couple of things. If you work on the basis that a team could have won the LLS had they been bothered, wouldn't we just swap places in the last couple of years, as Wigan were in the equal and opposite position to Wire this year, spreading their resources for Wembley?
I think "choke" or "bottle" are appalling and inaccurate words to use in the context of the players at the top end of our game (though terms beloved of a former Wire poster on here). What I think is relevant is the ability of people to draw upon good or bad experiences at times of stress. Leeds can clearly draw upon deep reserves of confidence, whereas Wire may have greater self doubt because they are newbies to this. Fwiw, given the experience of Hodgson, Monaghan and Morley as winners of a much bigger and more difficult Grand Final, even if the team have not been there they have enough in the brains trust to bring them home.
Leaving aside the psychological state of the respective teams, the single factor in this game is Sinfield's boot. Everything Leeds do at this time of year revolves around that. Find a way to pressure him/defuse his bombs (and Hodgson regularly drops kicks, so Wire will need to work around that) and Wire will be home and hosed.
It would be a wonderful thing for our game to see Wire as champions for the first time in nearly 60 years.

#60 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Morally Wigan are champs

Let's not start that again. <_<

Just to avoid any further revision of history - there was nothing controversial about that decision. He was clearly offside.

I disagree - it was borderline at best and had the video ref been able to adjudicate would have come down to a frame-by-frame analysis.

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14