Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

6. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Decent article about Warrington on the Guardian:

http://www.guardian....nal-simon-moran

Great find Dave, really enjoyed reading the article.

S proud to be a wire, we've had some really hard years, too many.

But this is now dream land can we make it reality??

#82 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Looking at the current poll no one gives Leeds a chance - this so worries me!

24.5hours till kick off

#83 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Morally Wigan are champs

Excellent point.

It would be nice if the winning captain, once given the Old Trafford microphone, would be magnanimous enough to point this out.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#84 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

Just don't let Sinfield talk, he is a walking, boring cliche machine.

#85 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,107 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Morally Wigan are champs but even though I'm from Yorkshire I'll go for Wires seen as they havn't started playing in the last 3 week.

Wigan were champions of rugby league in 1960.

They finished 4th in the table.

On moral grounds should they now give the title to St Helens?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#86 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,994 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Without wanting to prolong the tedious dissection of a throw away comment, did everyone play everyone home and away in 1960?

#87 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

Without wanting to prolong the tedious dissection of a throw away comment, did everyone play everyone home and away in 1960?

Did everybody play each other an equal number of times this year?

#88 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,994 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Everybody played everyone home and away this year.
In 1960 we had a league of 30 teams with 36 games, so it made perfect sense to have play offs.
Not that that fact has any place on a thread about tomorrow's game - the biggest game of the season for the biggest prize.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 05 October 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#89 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Yawn.

X Faxtor or Leeds winning again? Hmmm...

I hope the Wolves win it, but I just can't see it.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#90 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Well, the day is now upon us. Hope everybody going has a cracking day and may the. best team win an enthralling game with few contentious refereeing decisions.(Let's face it, there'll always be one or two.)

By the way, if any of you should bump into a group of pirates, say hello to RoyBoy, he won't bite.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#91 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Biggest game of my life - Can't wait for Saturday

Leeds are the Champions, the champion side and recently in finals Warrington have the beating of them.

I'm so happy we've made the GF anything else is a bonus - Like I've said since joining this forum.

Can Warrington win?? Yes they can - Leeds 15 Warrington 23

Best wishes to all Leeds fans on here.

Hi Mate........It should be Warringtons night but never write off a Rhino, we might just sneak it at the death again.

Enjoy the game

Marshall
Spain

#92 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,979 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

Couldn't make it in the end but heading for the pub and hoping for a good game to take my mind off things.

Main thing is, that everyone enjoys it. Here's to a great game.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#93 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Everybody played everyone home and away this year.
In 1960 we had a league of 30 teams with 36 games, so it made perfect sense to have play offs.
Not that that fact has any place on a thread about tomorrow's game - the biggest game of the season for the biggest prize.

They also played one other team one more time. Wigan got Saints for an extra game than everybody else. It also ignores the fact that all teams have played this year knowing that it would be decided by a playoff. Maybe Leeds wouldn't have finished 5th if there wasn't a playoff.

It just annoys me that after 14 years of Grand Finals this issue still comes up year after year. We have a playoff, like a number of other sports, people should just get over it (not you personally). I love the playoffs but dislike the top 8, which has diluted the overall playoffs. However, the final is still easily the best day of the year for a RL fan. Nothing better than knowing it all rests on this one game.

#94 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Cant see past a Leeds win too many big game players Leeds 22 Warrington 14 (hope Wire win)

For my money Wigan are the real Champions this should be the old type Premiership final
Posted Image

#95 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Cant see past a Leeds win too many big game players Leeds 22 Warrington 14 (hope Wire win)

For my money Wigan are the real Champions this should be the old type Premiership final

Yawn.

Wigan are not the real champions because they knew that to become champions they would have to win a Grand Final. Look at the difference in intensity last week to regular season SL. Clubs clearly plan for the playoffs and as such you cannot say with certainty that Wigan would have won the league.

By all means state a preference for a league system but don't go around erroneously stating that Wigan are the real champions on Grand Final day. They are not.

#96 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Yawn.

Wigan are not the real champions because they knew that to become champions they would have to win a Grand Final. Look at the difference in intensity last week to regular season SL. Clubs clearly plan for the playoffs and as such you cannot say with certainty that Wigan would have won the league.

By all means state a preference for a league system but don't go around erroneously stating that Wigan are the real champions on Grand Final day. They are not.

YAWN they bloody well are
Posted Image

#97 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

As for the old Premiership title, it was already on the way out. The last season it was played, the 11 games were watched by a total of around 80,000. The final between Wigan and St Helens, Rugby League's biggest derby, drew just 33,000. This was around a quarter down on what Widnes and Hull could manage 6 years earlier.

God only knows what it would be now. We'd probably be playing it at Sale's new stadium and it would be weakened squads.

#98 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

YAWN they bloody well are

Yet oddly, in their two biggest games this year, the only games they played this year that were truly do or die, they failed. Who knows how they would have managed if everything rode on the season, who knows how the other teams would have reacted? It's simplistic to think that they finished top and therefore would have if the league leaders were crowned champions.

Last week proved this, the game was noticeably more intense than we see in games between these clubs in Super League.

Just so you know, when people go on about how Rugby League fans moan, they mean people like you. Only in Rugby League would we hear something like this. You hear it far less regularly in other sports. Can you imagine this,

"Congratulations to Spain for being crowned the World Champions, although to be honest they can't really claim to be as it is only a knockout competition and doesn't truly include the top 32 nations in the world. However, well done Spain!"

#99 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Breaking with the way that the thread has generally gone over the last few pages, just want to say that I'm excited about this and I'm a neutral. Once again will be taking people new to TGG & hoping that they find the whole thing a fantastic experience. Sun's out, sky's blue, pitch should be perfect which should produce a cracker. For me this just favours Warrington & I'll be backing them despite a reluctant, grudging admiration for what Leeds have achieved. Actually find it a bit bizarre / disappointing that this has wandered off onto a "who're the real champs" thread while over on twitter there's a whole load of genuine positivity.
That's it from me- time to jump in the car and head for the theatre of dreams (without a coat / brolly for the first time in years! :D

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#100 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'm desperate for a Warrington win but given that Leeds are so good at getting the job done in Grand Finals I'd personally make them slight favourites, especially if it rains as they're fantastic at using poor conditions to their advantage. Warrington should be confident enough after their success at Wembley, although we often beat Leeds in the regular season only to fall short come the big day, so I doubt Leeds will be too troubled by it.

Hopefully everyone will have a safe trip and it will be a cracking game. I'm going for Warrington by 8-14 points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users