League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

6. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Simply brilliant game. Loved every minute of it and thought Leeds were nothing short of immense.

Chuffed for terywebbisgod and even more pleased that pmjwires has nothing to shout about
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#142 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Brilliant match.

To those who'd do away with this way of deciding the title just watch it again and realise what we'd all be losing.

Exact.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#143 eal

eal
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Awesome Grand Final. This is the reason to have the whole season come down to one match.

#144 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,177 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Leeds have made a mockery of the whole league system. They play ###### all year and then decide to play up in the play offs and GF. Something needs to be done to change it as why on earth are we bothering having a season? What a joke.

Yes,Leeds deliberately throw games so they can finish 5th.Pathetic.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#145 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,216 posts

Fantastic match, really enjoyed it. RL simply is the greatest game.

#146 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Simply brilliant game. Loved every minute of it and thought Leeds were nothing short of immense.

+1

#147 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,762 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Great game and well done to Leeds who were definitely the better team. A great advert for RL, the physicality and speed if the game surprised me.
Fides invicta triumphat

#148 dadafrank

dadafrank
  • Coach
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

only one comment..."what a great final"

#149 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Being 5th now means nothing at all though. I think Saints should try winning it from 8th next season. We've wasted too much time and effort trying to get up the league table. We need a different tactic, clearly.

Clubs have to treat the Super League like soccer clubs treat the Premiership. The soccer teams use the Premiership as a means to play European Comps. You don't need to finish top to be in the European Champions League. Same goes for Super League. My team finish top of the Championship and got beat last week by Sheffield. That's what it's all about. Good luck to Sheffield and good luck to Leeds.
Having said all that, I thought given the amount of help they had from Silverwood, Wire should have won.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#150 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Great game, with the right result in the end. Leeds might not be the most talented side in the competition but there is no doubt that they are the strongest mentally, they don't panic and make good decisions.

Overall, I'm not so bothered that Leeds won - but I'm extremely pleased that Warrington didn't !!

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#151 dadafrank

dadafrank
  • Coach
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

What a pathetic reply Saintslass.....Not saying i agree with the system, but we all know how it works..Seems you are bitter because Wolves lost, hence your "come on warrington"earlier in the thread....

#152 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Special? They effectively ripped off their own fans picking and choosing the games they bother to play well in!

How many Leeds games have you been to this season?

#153 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

That's why they're champions. Over and over again when they have to be great they are. They were tested by a good Wire team, but, once they had settled looked like they would always find a way to win. They were similarly brilliant against Manly all those months ago.
Sinfield remains the ultimate conundrum - can there ever been a player for whom the gap between his international and domestic achievements is so vast? Is it too late for him to step up, I wonder?
As for England players, Hardaker looked ok. Every full back will make at least one howler in games at that level, and he could well go on to be international class. That Bailey's attack on the much smaller Myler (he's not that sort of player his coach cries) resulted in 5 Wire players out of position with 2 minutes to go was as funny a sight as I have seen in a long time. I even enjoyed the commentary, especially the surreal suggestion that Wire were inches away from scoring the try of the season when Briers tried and failed with a shallow chip rather than adopting arguably the simpler route of suggesting that he should have kicked as deep as he could while they were looking to make Leeds play catch up from their own line.
For Wire, I think the biggest factor in their defeat tonight was the impossibility of peaking twice within 6 weeks. In some respect the gap could not be worse - if it was shorter a team could sustain a run, if it was longer a team can go off and then back on the boil. I appreciate Leeds also played at Wembley, but winning is more draining.
Their victory has clearly polarised opinion, and I would have thought even the most one eyed Loiner must understand why there is an undercurrent of uncertainty from a wide range of sources about the 5th placed team winning twice running.
Overall, not a bad season at all, with a memorable and high quality finale and some great games along the way.

#154 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

When it comes to the crunch, Leeds have demonstrated why they are a class act. Great game and edge of the seat stuff.

#155 dadafrank

dadafrank
  • Coach
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Eddie talks some ###### - "Great game! Two teams committed to winning!" Does he really believe than one team would go into a Grand Final committed to LOSING?!?! Idiot!

#156 dadafrank

dadafrank
  • Coach
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

How many Leeds games have you been to this season?

spot on

#157 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

This was a great Grand Final, sometimes the big games fall flat but this was thoroughly enjoyable.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#158 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

What a pathetic reply Saintslass.....Not saying i agree with the system,

So you insult my reply but then agree with what I was saying! lol

but we all know how it works..Seems you are bitter because Wolves lost, hence your "come on warrington"earlier in the thread....

Actually, not true until last season. Until last season only Bradford had won it, once, from outside the top 2, and they were in third. Until last season the system was basically that the top two thrashed it out at OT. When did the top 8 come in? Was it 2010? I can't remember. But mostly the system has been top 5 or 6 with top going through after the first win. This year has proven that you can be a waste of space for most of the season because there is no incentive to achieve in the league. Leeds lost 11 matches over the season did they not? Yet they end up claiming to be champions. Well, they're grand final winners but to lose 11 matches over a season doesn't make them champions. It makes them cynical and their fans suckers for buying season tickets!

As for Warrington winning, I really didn't care who won as Saints weren't there but given that Wire haven't won the championship since Noah built his ark, and given that Wire have been the best team for the last two years, I wanted them to win it. That they didn't was of no bother to me one way or the other.

Still, until Leeds scored that try which put them 8 points ahead, it was a thoroughly enjoyable game of rugby league to watch. Once that try was scored, though, it ended as a contest and I switched the TV off.

#159 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,177 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

So you insult my reply but then agree with what I was saying! lol

Actually, not true until last season. Until last season only Bradford had won it, once, from outside the top 2, and they were in third. Until last season the system was basically that the top two thrashed it out at OT. When did the top 8 come in? Was it 2010? I can't remember. But mostly the system has been top 5 or 6 with top going through after the first win. This year has proven that you can be a waste of space for most of the season because there is no incentive to achieve in the league. Leeds lost 11 matches over the season did they not? Yet they end up claiming to be champions. Well, they're grand final winners but to lose 11 matches over a season doesn't make them champions. It makes them cynical and their fans suckers for buying season tickets!

As for Warrington winning, I really didn't care who won as Saints weren't there but given that Wire haven't won the championship since Noah built his ark, and given that Wire have been the best team for the last two years, I wanted them to win it. That they didn't was of no bother to me one way or the other.

Still, until Leeds scored that try which put them 8 points ahead, it was a thoroughly enjoyable game of rugby league to watch. Once that try was scored, though, it ended as a contest and I switched the TV off.

Actually,Leeds don't claim to be champions,the RFL deem them champions.
Again,do you think Leeds are not bothered about their league placing,because i can assure you they are.
Do you honestly think that they want to finish 5th and not top?
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#160 Mk13

Mk13
  • Coach
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

Once that try was scored, though, it ended as a contest and I switched the TV off.

Displaying logic of that calibre, hopefully the computer will follow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users