League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. Voted Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

6. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Again,do you think Leeds are not bothered about their league placing

I think all that Leeds care about is winning a Grand Final. I think they have a cynical policy. You don't end up in the same position two years running without there being a policy behind it. I think their priority is to get into the top 8 and that's all. So no, I don't think they care about their league position other than to get into the top 8 so that they can aim for the grand final again.

I would like everyone else to follow suit. If they do, we will end up with such a poor quality sport during the season that someone who makes changes might take notice and make the necessary change to nip this one in the bud.

Edited by Saintslass, 06 October 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#162 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

So all Leeds care about is winning the GF,how do you explain getting to Wembley and winning the WCC.
Believe me,they do care about their league placing.
You are so,so wrong.
And if it is Leeds policy to only finish in the top 8 and win the GF,well, it's working B)

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 06 October 2012 - 08:59 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#163 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

I think all that Leeds care about is winning a Grand Final. I think they have a cynical policy. You don't end up in the same position two years running without there being a policy behind it. I think their priority is to get into the top 8 and that's all. So no, I don't think they care about their league position other than to get into the top 8 so that they can aim for the grand final again.

I would like everyone else to follow suit. If they do, we will end up with such a poor quality sport during the season that someone who makes changes might take notice and make the necessary change to nip this one in the bud.

Leeds obviously employed a cunning diversionary tactic in getting to the Challenge Cup Final. :rolleyes: Devilishly clever. ;) B)

#164 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Nowt much wrong with the system. Best team in SL won the GF - system works.

To suggest that any team have a policy to lose matches is, well, bizarre. With the exception of Saints of course who have stuck two fingers up to the SL by doing exactly this in the recent past.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#165 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Even if Wire won I would have enjoyed that great final.

But they didn't, Leeds did! Therefore I loved that great final! :-)

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#166 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

I thought the game was immense. But can't shake the feeling that Leeds only turn it on when it matters. Which I understand....but it still doesn't sit quite right for some reason.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#167 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

So you insult my reply but then agree with what I was saying! lol

As for Warrington winning, I really didn't care who won as Saints weren't there but given that Wire haven't won the championship since Noah built his ark, and given that Wire have been the best team for the last two years, I wanted them to win it. That they didn't was of no bother to me one way or the other.

Still, until Leeds scored that try which put them 8 points ahead, it was a thoroughly enjoyable game of rugby league to watch. Once that try was scored, though, it ended as a contest and I switched the TV off.

If Warrington have been the best team for the last 2 years are you equally as upset with Wigan for having he audacity to finish op of the league?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#168 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

great game for the neutral - Leeds brilliant yet again, well played

Carl Ablett is one heck of a player - why doesn't he get the recognition ?

#169 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Carl Ablett is one heck of a player - why doesn't he get the recognition ?

In the England squad but apparently not worthy of a place,if this forum is to be believed.

#170 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yet the Aussies get on with and accept the system.........

Come on guys (N Gals) if it was you club winning from 5th you'd be over the moon. And I hate Leeds with a passion.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#171 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

In the England squad but apparently not worthy of a place,if this forum is to be believed.

As a significant critic of Ablett's England selection in the mid season, I stand by it as justified based on his sub standard form at the time. However he was excellent today and otherwise during the playoffs, and has now deservedly earned a spot. I remain unconvinced that he is little more than a good club player (an issue that afflicts a few at Leeds), however he deserves his chance to prove the doubters wrong.

#172 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

So all Leeds care about is winning the GF,how do you explain getting to Wembley and winning the WCC.

I was asked about whether Leeds care about league placing, not about whether they care about getting to wembley and winning the WCC (which they did this year but they haven't always done). I simply think they care more about the grand final. Their performances have changed at the back end of the season too many times now for it to be a coincidence. Any team wants to win any match; no team will go out to lose anything and to suggest otherwise is silly. But that is a lot different from planning when to peak, and training up to that point. Athletes do it all the time, for the Olympics, for world cups, etc. Leeds do it for grand finals.

#173 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

How many times does a team in fifth win the grand final in Australia or even get to the grand final? Genuine question; I have no idea whether any team has.

#174 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

If Warrington have been the best team for the last 2 years are you equally as upset with Wigan for having he audacity to finish op of the league?

I'm not upset with Warrington or Wigan! I think much more should be made of getting to the top of the league as it is an achievement in itself. I believed that when Saints were doing it and I've believed it subsequently. However, I think Warrington put no emphasis on league position this season after their botch up last, when they blasted everyone away and then got booted out in the semis.

Edited by Saintslass, 06 October 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#175 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

I was asked about whether Leeds care about league placing, not about whether they care about getting to wembley and winning the WCC (which they did this year but they haven't always done). I simply think they care more about the grand final. Their performances have changed at the back end of the season too many times now for it to be a coincidence. Any team wants to win any match; no team will go out to lose anything and to suggest otherwise is silly. But that is a lot different from planning when to peak, and training up to that point. Athletes do it all the time, for the Olympics, for world cups, etc. Leeds do it for grand finals.

How many Leeds games have you seen this season,only the ones on Sky i would imagine.Again,you are wide of the mark.
Shall i put it in big letters for you,so you can fully understand.

YES, THEY CARE ABOUT WHERE THEY FINISH IN THE LEAGUE.THEY ALWAYS HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL.THEY WANT TO FINISH TOP EVERY SEASON BUT IT ISN'T POSSIBLE.

#176 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Come on guys (N Gals) if it was you club winning from 5th you'd be over the moon. And I hate Leeds with a passion.

we cant even start to compare ourselves to the aussie system, they have quality teams by the dozen, in fact Wests, where one of the favorites (if not favorites) at the start of the season, and yet failed to make the playoffs.
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#177 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

They do indeed. They don't play each other twice home and away though, fwiw.
I agree - if anyone had won they would be delighted. Does everybody else have to be comfortable with it, to quote johnoco?

#178 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

God, some people are so miserable.

For anybody interested, I'll take a £100 bet than in the next 20 years, with a playoff format, there will not be a club that will win Super League outside of the top 4 for 2 years on the run. Let's just accept it as the entertaining freak of nature that it is.

People go on about the league system and Leeds finishing 5th but the reality is that Leeds clearly play the system and are better than the 5th best British RL team. They've finished 5th for the last two seasons but also made the last 4 major finals in Rugby League, winning two of them.

By all means want a league system but don't moan when a team wins the playoff from 5th.

#179 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Aussies aren't always right and should never be followed with blind faith.

Complaints about the playoff system have been ongoing irrespective of the GF winner. It takes nothing away from Leeds achievements over the last two years, to suggest that the balance isn't quite right at the minute given the regular season has been devalued to an extent that finishing position is relatively unimportant. The GF was a great spectacle, as were the playoffs, but the SL season remains February - October, not just September / October, and the first seven months shouldn't feel as unimportant as they do under the current system.

Anyway congratulations Leeds, deserved champions as awarded under a system we were all aware of at the start of the season, irrespective of whether we agree with it or not.

#180 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

I'm not upset with Warrington or Wigan! I think much more should be made of getting to the top of the league as it is an achievement in itself. I believed that when Saints were doing it and I've believed it subsequently. However, I think Warrington put no emphasis on league position this season after their botch up last, when they blasted everyone away and then got booted out in the semis.

What a ridiculous comment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users