Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Well Done Brett

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Ideally we should be having regular preseason friendlies as part of our link up , with them playing some promising youngsters for us to eye up . We may need more help next year from them , with all these other championship clubs getting bags of dual reg off they're link ups ( Swinton - 6/7 off Warrington etc ). We may need they're player assistance to stay with the field . I know about dualreg pitfalls but I'm afraid every other team is gonna inject themselves big on it and its gonna influence the league hugely . The lads from this year are obvious targets , but we need to keep our bridges with Rovers to .

Edited by DavidM, 02 October 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#22 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Well done brett and hopefully we get to see you in a Scotland shirt on our home pitch next year.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#23 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

Well done Brett.... you deserve your selection!!!!
"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#24 away the brow

away the brow
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Congratulations Brett and well deserved.

#25 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Another formal link up just announced . Bradfords players not in their squad , and over 19 , to be available for Dewsbury . A real can of worms has been opened here following these academy changes . It's had big consequences.

#26 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

What spare bradford players will there be? They have about 2 men signed on so far.

#27 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

I was thinking that !!! Come next year they'll have a squad though and kids from this years u19s bound in , and whatever they have will be good in our league . The general premise is snowballing in the league though is the point and these teams don't have much rubbish when plonked into a part time environment . We saw that with guys not figuring in lesser SL teams but standing out down the ladder . The Championship is gonna be more like the NSW Cup at this rate. But yes maybe Bradford is a bad example at the mo !

Edited by DavidM, 04 October 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#28 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

I think your maybe mistaken davidm, dewsbury players who can't get in will going Bradford lol

#29 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

It's devaluing the competition, it's pretty obvious when they allowed Bradford to stay in that they're planning to keep their superleague clubs and just use the rest as feeder clubs. It'll start with a few then it'll snowball and lower league clubs will just be SL reserve sides

#30 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Aye , exactly the slippery path I'm on about . Don't bother developing talent grab a good link up and a bag full of off the shelf talent and bobs yer uncle . Who gets the best value from their link up wins ? Or at least gets a handy advantage in a tight league . Your right mate , it's not done for the championship clubs advantage , it's done for the SL clubs benefit , but the feeder club gets a better side so goes along .. But the danger , it's a short term benefit , you've lost control of your squad and the SL as a whole is gaining control of your league like a disease. As I say , you do it to compete , we're seeing that with others , and we will probably be no different , and as I said you even crave it as that's the game now and you want to do well , but in general terms where's the incentive to go home grown and long term ? Young lads or the finished article . The RFL won't have thought of that because the system suits SL , and they run the game and couldn't care less about anything outside they're closed shop .. Apart from nicking players from outside then slamming the door and keeping it shut. Are we gonna be playing Swinton or Warrington reserves? Give SL clubs an inch and they'll eventually take a mile .Location in many ways may hinder us but here it may be a plus , building our own squad and cherry picking various dualreg to boost us , as our top BOD is doing .The heartland clubs are in danger of being swallowed by big brother next door.

Edited by DavidM, 04 October 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#31 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

It's human nature to want to win but it would be nice if the championship clubs all stuck together and said they wouldn't take any players on loan/dual reg from anybody. That would force the superleague clubs to continue with the under 23's as at this rate the number of pro or semi pro players will reduce significantly and I can't see how that could ever be a good thing. It was only 12 months ago that the criteria to get promoted out of championship 1 into the championship included running a reserve team now you don't even need one in superleague!!

#32 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

Fascinating to read Holty coming on the Barra forum to talk on this subject .

Edited by DavidM, 05 October 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#33 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Yeah it is David, although he's specifically on about dual reg it is a good post.
I think we are always more likely up in Cumbria to try and have a locally based squad just because of our geographical location. We were burned a few years ago with travellers and now we have a good solid system of giving the best amateurs a chance, with a largely local squad but bringing top quality travelling players to complement this. I'll bet the Jambo's try and copy this system and have already announced the amateur grooming.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#34 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Don't worry they're seen as a joke in amateur circles

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#35 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

Ha ha wait for your friends to make an appearance now Gonch to tell you how great you are!!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#36 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Right voodoo . Yeh I meant on the dual reg , relating to what I was saying , sorry . You and him are spot on with the plan of local Cumbrian talent augmented by quality imports from different sides to top up the squad , but not being consumed by the dualreg system for the sake of it or shackling yourself to one SL outfit . We are also going this way by the look of it , our BOD getting it dead right . Location does dictate this because of the logistical problems in mass imports . It's the clubs in the shadow of the SL behemoths who should worry - they think one big club is putting a friendly arm around them but really they're gently gonna squeeze out your freedom of movement and maybe even life , and before you know it your a reserve side .

Edited by DavidM, 05 October 2012 - 04:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users