Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New man at Cas

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Could not agree more sidnee. I could not give a dam if we have 500 fans or 15000 fans, Fev is my team no matter what League they play in and who follows them. I do not regret for one moment the decision not to merge in 1995.

It's called loyalty, I don't expect some members on here to understand.

By the way I hope Cas get over there money troubles. The Fev V Cas rivelry is huge in my family, it just would not be the same without both clubs.

This is not all about you. We all have a duty to the wider game as fans of whatever team we support. You should be terrified at the prospect of 500 fans turning out to see any respectable side and of RL as a whole taking any kind of backward step.

People like you are at the root of the problem of the sport of rugby league in the UK as I see it. Blinkered, selfish, unambitious, anchored to the past. Just thoroughly depressing.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 11 October 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#62 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

This is not all about you. We all have a duty to the wider game as fans of whatever team we support. You should be terrified at the prospect of 500 fans turning out to see any respectable side and of RL as a whole taking any kind of backward step.

He's a right to be against a merger and as I set out above I don't think a merger is the right thing.

The reality is that Wakefield under Glover hope to offer the area a vibrant competitive Superleague club and with Newmarket and crowds already over 8,000 they look set to do this. Fans come and go and today are prepared to travel so if this happens then Wakefield will build a fanbase of excellent proportions.

The other clubs can also take their chances and are doing so. Good luck to them and their fans.

Mr. Elliot will no doubt continue to support Rovers, but the only problem then would be if they declined to 500 fans, they may risk their very existence. But I doubt it will happen and to prevent it that's why we have to support and talk up the Championship.

Mergers are NOT necessary to cater for the fans needs. If they need SL there's a club down the road, if they need their old club it can continue in the Championship....

#63 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

And I mean no disrespect but getting excited over a membership scheme!!?? In what way does this even put Cas on a steady financial footing, let alone make them a real player? It’s very simple – we need sides in SL that sell themselves to new punters rather than having to scratch desperately for every available penny from their dwindling hardcore. Face facts - teams like Cas and to a lesser extent Hull KR are, sadly, an embarrassment to SL.

No disrespect but what a load of bull. If Hull KR and Cas are an embarassmet to RL then what are London Broncos?

In my opinion clubs like Cas and Hull KR are a must for the future of the game. The way you think is that if everyone mergers we will have all SL clubs averaging 15k. Well this won't happen supporters of current clubs simply will not go. When you have merged all these clubs and your master plan goes pear shaped what will we do then? We will not have teams such has Cas and Hull KR to fall back to.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#64 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

Let Cas and HKR merge if thats the 'future'. They could play somewhere in the middle, Goole maybe.

That should satisfy your unhealthy obsession with mergers and stop you banging on for something that does not affect you and something that 99% of the fans affected DO NOT WANT!
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#65 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

Im a cas fan n personally if cas merged with fev n wakey n lets say called themselves calderdale then I would no longer follow a rugby league team, I would stil watch rugby but have no real interest in any team. Iv been cas all my life n anything else just wouldnt be the same, im sure many fans would share my view on the merge!

Do you share my view sidnee?

Edited by jackknife, 11 October 2012 - 05:23 PM.

COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#66 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

As a Fev fan, yes. If there is no Fev then that's me finished with the game.

Some people do not seem to be able to take this on board and keep repeating the same rubbish. I sat on the pitch way back to protest and would do it again.

#67 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

from what i have heard cas may well be dropping the move to glasshoughton and instead make a fewimprovments to weldon road instead which if correct would seem to point to a big finacial problem and not just a tax bill been late

it also opens up the route to more finance for wakeys stadium from the council if they no longer have to commit to a new ground for cas
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#68 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

The council have gone cold on any financial help to any club. They have now adopted an 'advisory' role and with the announcement that they have to save an extra 12.2 million, I can't see them coughing up any money for anything!

#69 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

From what i have heard cas may well be dropping the move to glasshoughton and instead make a few improvments to weldon road instead which if correct would seem to point to a big finacial problem and not just a tax bill been late

Cas were warned by the RFL about their ground not materialising some time ago putting their SL place under threat. As I understand it that warning has been effectively withdrawn, leaving Cas with a chance to stay in SL however not with the current poor facilities, hence their desire to improve the whatever it's called today.

That they don't have enough money is a given from what Ferres says

#70 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 903 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

And Bradford get 12 months after appalling financial regularities and the most soulless ground in rugby league.

#71 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

People like you are at the root of the problem of the sport of rugby league in the UK as I see it. Blinkered, selfish, unambitious, anchored to the past. Just thoroughly depressing.

Strange because I think people like you are the root cause. No loyalty, no fight, trying to tell people what they should be doing and thinking you know everything about every club and every supporter.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#72 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,615 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

And Bradford get 12 months after appalling financial regularities and the most soulless ground in rugby league.

He's right.

Edited by Johnoco, 12 October 2012 - 12:25 AM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#73 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

He's a right to be against a merger and as I set out above I don't think a merger is the right thing.

The reality is that Wakefield under Glover hope to offer the area a vibrant competitive Superleague club and with Newmarket and crowds already over 8,000 they look set to do this. Fans come and go and today are prepared to travel so if this happens then Wakefield will build a fanbase of excellent proportions.

The other clubs can also take their chances and are doing so. Good luck to them and their fans.

Mr. Elliot will no doubt continue to support Rovers, but the only problem then would be if they declined to 500 fans, they may risk their very existence. But I doubt it will happen and to prevent it that's why we have to support and talk up the Championship.

Mergers are NOT necessary to cater for the fans needs. If they need SL there's a club down the road, if they need their old club it can continue in the Championship....

That would be a valid point if said poster fancied switching allegiance to a growing Wakey. But he doesn’t. He wants his little teams to stay little but still be allowed to play with the big boys, dragging the credibility of SL down in the process. It’s not a sustainable position as you well know and have yourself said on this forum on many occasions.

#74 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

No disrespect but what a load of bull. If Hull KR and Cas are an embarassmet to RL then what are London Broncos?

An expansion team, created with the intention of blasting the wonderful game of rugby league out of its M62 heartlands and into the wider UK consciousness. In other words, a good thing and more valuable to the development of the game than a hundred Featherstones, Castlefords and Hull KRs, whether any of us like it or not. But keep hating on them in your small-minded “Hey! We were here first!” way if it makes you feel better. Who knows - you might even still have a parochial, largely ignored game with a piddling TV contract in 20 years to feel smug and happy about.

#75 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Let Cas and HKR merge if thats the 'future'. They could play somewhere in the middle, Goole maybe.

That should satisfy your unhealthy obsession with mergers and stop you banging on for something that does not affect you and something that 99% of the fans affected DO NOT WANT!

You do not speak on behalf of anyone else.

#76 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

That would be a valid point if said poster fancied switching allegiance to a growing Wakey. But he doesn’t. He wants his little teams to stay little but still be allowed to play with the big boys, dragging the credibility of SL down in the process. It’s not a sustainable position as you well know and have yourself said on this forum on many occasions.

How the hell can you quote words such has credibility and sustainable when we have seen the mess SL clubs Crusaders, Bradford and Wakefield got themselves into. Why would I switched my allegieance to Wakefield? We keep beating the Wakefield drum but in 98 they were as big as we were so why is it so wrong for us to strive to compete in a higher League as possible?

If it's ok by you I will continue to watch my small town team, I hope you are not too threatend and emabraased by it.

#77 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

In other words, a good thing and more valuable to the development of the game than a hundred Featherstones, Castlefords and Hull KRs, whether any of us like it or not. But keep hating on them in your small-minded “Hey! We were here first!” way if it makes you feel better. Who knows - you might even still have a parochial, largely ignored game with a piddling TV contract in 20 years to feel smug and happy about.

Make that thousands of Featherstones, Castlefords and Hull KRs. Where are you going to find the thousands of fans in London to replace the supporters of these clubs. Whether you like it or not RL is not in a position to lose thousands of fans to be replaced by a taxi full of Londeners.

I only dislike London because of the way they were placed into SL, prior to them being fast tracked I always supported teams from the South. I always had a dream that RL would become a nationwide sport but that nationwide sport would include Featherstone Rovers.

#78 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

You do not speak on behalf of anyone else.

Neither do you!!!

#79 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

The Fev Rovers fans have every right to want to remain Fev fans and want Fev to get into Superleague. What on earth is wrong with that??? Free country.

I have not detected that the Fev fans want Fev to "stay little" at all??? They feel that there's a chance in the right circumstances for Rovers to appeal to a much wider population than just Ponte and Fev.

What I argue is Wigan appeal to fans from all four points of the compass, but they remain Wigan so why cannot this happen to Fev? The two clubs "in the way" both have letters from the RFL threatening them with exclusion from Superleage if they do not make progress with their grounds approaching 2015.

Fev have a chance to make it on their own but perhaps a slimmish one shall we say??

Of course at times I have entered into discourse about their SL chances (and received a lot of slather for doing so at times), how they may grow their crowds or hang onto their fine local prospects, or where the money will come from given it's reported the last two years they made losses. At this point I am told Mr, Nahaboo is a very rich man, and he may bankroll them.

If he does that big time then welcome on board to the good ship Superleague Europe Featherstone Rovers.

#80 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Make that thousands of Featherstones, Castlefords and Hull KRs. Where are you going to find the thousands of fans in London to replace the supporters of these clubs. Whether you like it or not RL is not in a position to lose thousands of fans to be replaced by a taxi full of Londeners.

I only dislike London because of the way they were placed into SL, prior to them being fast tracked I always supported teams from the South. I always had a dream that RL would become a nationwide sport but that nationwide sport would include Featherstone Rovers.

Well said, I used to feel bad for them when they would get relegated from 4th from bottom of the top division. Now that was crazy. I used to hope they survived when they were at Barnet Coptall and Chiswick polytechnic and elsewhere but when the unfairness of their elevation to SL over Keighley, who had won promotion on the field happened, it took a lot of my support for their team with it.

I still hope they suceed but the very origins of this game were based on fairness and a rebellion against discriminatory behaviour by those in power and I see more and more of such practices from the licencing system to the too big to fail policies to the feeder club destruction of most lower level clubs. Depressing to me. Not the game I grew up with and committed to any more but still better than any alternative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users