Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sweden XIII vs Copenhagen Select XIII on Sat, Oct 6

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Apparently a team of Sweden based players will face a Copenhagen Select XIII in a development game in Lund, Sweden on Saturday.

#2 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Do you know what the current status of RL is in Sweden?

Edited by Evil Homer, 02 October 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#3 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

I'm pretty new to this game and I'm not involved in Sweden RL so the below might not be 100% accurate.

There was a four team 9's tournament in the spring. Then there has been games against Denmark and Norway in the Nordic Cup.

The players on the Sweden team are guys that play Union so any RL activity is on dates when there's no Union being played.

During 2011 there was a three team league (basically Union clubs playing league for a change) playing each other once, but this did not appear during 2012.The teams in the 2011 league are from Gothenburg (2) and Borås,

There seems to be growing interest in the south where there are four Union clubs witin 1½ hours drive. Lund, where the game is to be played, is in the south. Actually the trip to the game will be shorter for the guys from Copenhagen than for many of the Swedish players.

#4 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

OK, thanks. I feel like trying to build on the back of Union players will get nowhere long-term, but good luck to them for trying.

#5 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

I believe that some of the guys play Union simply because of the lack of League.

#6 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

There are practical reasons for starting at rugby union clubs. First they have rugby pitches, balls, tackle pads and posts. It is very hard to start without these, unless you have a very generous donor. People in Sweden who know what rugby league is and would like to play are almost certainly in rugby union clubs, so it is a very good place to start.

However, it is true that you cannot continue your growth on the back of union. Firstly, rugby union clubs will cut of support and secondly, league will always be a secondary sport, and thirdly the pool of players being targetted is simply too small. However, if you hope to bring new players into a game, you have to have games for them to partake in.

Once the sport is there, there is a coaching set-up in place and games taking place, you are then in a position to go into schools, and appeal for fresh players. International matches matter, in my mind, mainly as showcases for the sport in lands where it has no exposure.

I have the pleasure of knowing (to some extent) the lads working in Sweden and they have a tough task but are going the right way about it.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#7 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Result. Sweden XIII 30, Copenhagen Select XIII 18.

Edited by Swesaint, 06 October 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#8 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

Result. Sweden XIII 30, Copenhagen RLFC 18.

Only a minor correction...

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#9 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

Okay - so Denmark now has its first club?

Edited by Swesaint, 07 October 2012 - 06:09 AM.

#10 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

Okay - so Denmark now has its first club?

Yep. The constitution is being drafted.

#11 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yep. The constitution is being drafted.

That sounds really promising. With the progress being made in Sweden maybe we're looking at a joint league in a year or two? I know that they have it in Aussie Rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users