Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Two More Signings Confirmed

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

Totally agree mate

Noboy is questioning Darren's decisions. He was 1 point and 80 minutes off perfect.

He made it no secret of what he thought of DR and out of town players. I just wondered how the humble pie tastes that's all :lol:

#22 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

Noboy is questioning Darren's decisions. He was 1 point and 80 minutes off perfect.

He made it no secret of what he thought of DR and out of town players. I just wondered how the humble pie tastes that's all :lol:

I f it gets us a reasonable season and keeps us up it'll taste sweet mate :D

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#23 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

Dont see why a handful people keep harping on about Holty using DR and bringing out of towners in. Would people really rather see us struggle with a home grown squad, rather than supplementing it with a a few quality imports.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#24 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Not harping on Oracle just pointing out 12 months ago it was all wrong in Darren's eyes.

Although I'm not a fan of DR players, but only because how easy it is to lose them so quickly.

#25 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Not harping on Oracle just pointing out 12 months ago it was all wrong in Darren's eyes.

Although I'm not a fan of DR players, but only because how easy it is to lose them so quickly.

Exactly, people seem to forget on here about Holty banging on and on about it, how bad it was etc.

#26 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

But 12 month ago Holty wasnt coach, and now he has to do whats right for the team and that means DR. If he hadnt gone down that route we may not have been promoted then people would have whinged about him not using it. Can win in my opinion

#27 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

But 12 month ago Holty wasnt coach, and now he has to do whats right for the team and that means DR. If he hadnt gone down that route we may not have been promoted then people would have whinged about him not using it. Can win in my opinion

Your not getting it are you? Nobody is bother that Darren is using DR or out of Towners, but when people were telling Darren we need DR and out of Towners 12 months ago he said we didn't need them and it was wrong to be using them. Now he's coaching it's all of a sudden ok, like People were saying 12 months ago.

#28 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

Your not getting it are you? Nobody is bother that Darren is using DR or out of Towners, but when people were telling Darren we need DR and out of Towners 12 months ago he said we didn't need them and it was wrong to be using them. Now he's coaching it's all of a sudden ok, like People were saying 12 months ago.

#29 fozzy3

fozzy3
  • Coach
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

i think most people understand that any team needs a few out of towners i think what he and others meant was more like the club doesnt need players who are here just for the ride and to stroll about gyms instead of actually training when they were supposed to be full time players and not full time pxxs takers.it seems like its alot tighter ship now at craven park and the club want players who actually want to be playing rugby for the club and not living off there names from when they were in super league.the players who the club are signing are players who actually go out to give there all and play to win every game and not just look like they are doing there best to win.

#30 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

when you look at the dr players he brought in they were for cover to local players who got longish term injuries. lowe and twiggy with injuries brought shaw in and if you count him born in the town i dont think he was much of a traveller. as for the other two guys i also think injuries brought them into the squad. i dont think there input was to inhance the team but they did well and fitted in well which is more important. if anything we have done well out of the deal as we have ended up signing one of the lads after getting a look at him playing for us . holtys in his first big job along with acky and im sure hes said and made mistakes last season which he will learn from so lets stop bleating on about he said this , he said he wouldnt do that and he shoud a done this because when you step back and look at whats been achieved this season it aint been that bad. it could have been worse, just ask a oldham or rochdale fan .

#31 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Everyone is entitled to change their minds.
Would you want a Coach that didn't react and adapt as circumstances changed?

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#32 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

And everyone is enitled to their opinion. When he said 12 month ago we didnt need DR thats what he believed. Cirumstances changed and with that Holty's opinion changed.

Bang on. 12 Month ago, Holty didnt believe we needed them. When he became coach and his circumstances changed, his opinon did likewise.

#33 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

My whole point of my first post was that he has realised you do need them.

Then I ended up having to explain why I said it, now it's being spun around again I give up.

Let's just say Darren "Don't knock it until you've tried it"

I shall say no more on this matter.

#34 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

I think what people are forgetting is that last season we didn't need DR players due the make up of the squad. It was only when we gained too many injuries to be competitive that it was looked at with a view of who was available and at what cost. The route of DR was decided by exactly that with the parent club deciding the agreement.
I think we as supporters must understand that the cost implications of signing players direct of such calibre would be out of our reach this season making us uncompetitive within our league. This would have a huge effect, in my opinion, on our gates losing the club even more of our life's blood.
So where do you go? You swallow your pride and you structure the best team you can with the resources available and this must include DR and loan players for this coming season.

Edited by soss, 04 October 2012 - 01:45 PM.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#35 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Well said Mike. It's not rocket science it it !

Posted Image

#36 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

My whole point of my first post was that he has realised you do need them.

Then I ended up having to explain why I said it, now it's being spun around again I give up.

Let's just say Darren "Don't knock it until you've tried it"

I shall say no more on this matter.

I think we all basically agree.
So carry on making your point, that's what the forum is for. It would be a dull old world if we couldn't debate/ discuss our points of view!

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#37 holty

holty
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Just to clarify as I don't see why Soss should have to make excuses for me. My gripe with dual reg players remains and stems from the fact that the current squad at the time relied on several just to put a team out on the field(due to the overall squad size) and consisted of very few localised players and not so much the fact of cost etc. It was, and always has been, my belief that the way forward was with a prodominantly local side supplemented with travellers( carefully selected) in certain key positions. I remain dubious of the merits of dual registration for lower tier clubs but admit that we were very lucky with the lads we brought in last year.......other clubs were not so lucky in terms of intermittent appearances and so on. It is important to state that, just as last year, we have no plans to go down the dual reg route unless we get hit with an injury crisis similar to last year which forces our hands. Even then, the deal would have to be right for Barrow RLFC as it was this year and actually saved the club some finance..........again, a very different picture than that of the 2/3 previous years. In a nutshell, dual reg is an option for all clubs but is not the route we want to go down..........only the permenant/temporary loss of 9-10 'LOCAL' players will then make it a consideration- but only then.

I hope 'Balls' & even 'Rooster' can recognise the difference between previous years approaches in this regard and understand that my long held view of dual registration remains constant...........not the way forward.

Regards.( and sorry for butting in on the forum guys)

#38 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Just to clarify as I don't see why Soss should have to make excuses for me. My gripe with dual reg players remains and stems from the fact that the current squad at the time relied on several just to put a team out on the field(due to the overall squad size) and consisted of very few localised players and not so much the fact of cost etc. It was, and always has been, my belief that the way forward was with a prodominantly local side supplemented with travellers( carefully selected) in certain key positions. I remain dubious of the merits of dual registration for lower tier clubs but admit that we were very lucky with the lads we brought in last year.......other clubs were not so lucky in terms of intermittent appearances and so on. It is important to state that, just as last year, we have no plans to go down the dual reg route unless we get hit with an injury crisis similar to last year which forces our hands. Even then, the deal would have to be right for Barrow RLFC as it was this year and actually saved the club some finance..........again, a very different picture than that of the 2/3 previous years. In a nutshell, dual reg is an option for all clubs but is not the route we want to go down..........only the permenant/temporary loss of 9-10 'LOCAL' players will then make it a consideration- but only then.

I hope 'Balls' & even 'Rooster' can recognise the difference between previous years approaches in this regard and understand that my long held view of dual registration remains constant...........not the way forward.

Regards.( and sorry for butting in on the forum guys)

No need to be sorry, it's good to here your view on this.

Maybe you could do a day on here where you answer certain questions.

#39 SRC

SRC

Graphic Artist

• Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

It's great to see you posting on the forum again Darren and can I personally say a big thankyou for the past season's entertainment and successes (both on and off the field). I'm sure that both you and Acky have learned a lot from the 2012 season and I'm positive that under your reign the team and club will continue to go from strength to strength.

#40 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

No excuses mate just trying to explain how I understand it.. :-)

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing