Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London pub for GF on Saturday

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

A quick heads up - A few of us are going to the Hope (Whitfield St, W1) on Satuday to watch the GF. Spoke to landlord earlier this week. Said he will put the game on one of the feeds so long as downstairs doesnt rammed with football fans first (which is highly unlikely but in which case he would have to put the match on both tellys, which link to the tv feed upstairs) unless there is also a big RL turnout. However, as they will be showing a major international RU match with a 4pm ko (SA v NZ), they will obviously not have soccer on both channels and he says we should be ok. Luckily my understanding is that RL starts when RU finishes. Not sure if we would be upstairs or downstairs so check both. A lot will depend on the RL turnout. Would be really good if RL fans could get there for 5pm before football starts and show we have good numbers rather than turn up last minute. I will get there early (before 5pm). Last few Saturdays I've gone there we have got the game on with sound. Anyone up for it?

Edited by Lobbygobbler, 03 October 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#2 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

I think I will attend. I had heard not great things about The Hope's refit and haven't been back since. Were they inaccurate?

#3 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

I think I will attend. I had heard not great things about The Hope's refit and haven't been back since. Were they inaccurate?

Interesting choice of 'London' themed wallpaper. It's like bad episode of Changing Rooms.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#4 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

Interesting choice of 'London' themed wallpaper. It's like bad episode of Changing Rooms.

Depends what floats yer boat Manx! I liked it before because it was like a proper old pub. At least the new tellys are decent and there are some good ales on.

#5 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

Depends what floats yer boat Manx! I liked it before because it was like a proper old pub. At least the new tellys are decent and there are some good ales on.

Miss the pre production 3d projector tv. Top technology, but not rocket science.

#6 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

You're right to fear the refit - it's a disaster.

With its naff 'feature wallpaper', the only thing that's missing is a bunch of those ridiculous 5ft twigs in the corner.

But they'll put the game on and there's beer - so it's a bit like watching the rugby in Lobby's front room.

#7 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

You're right to fear the refit - it's a disaster.

With its naff 'feature wallpaper', the only thing that's missing is a bunch of those ridiculous 5ft twigs in the corner.

But they'll put the game on and there's beer - so it's a bit like watching the rugby in Lobby's front room.

Half time olives and humous with Mike and Diane?

#8 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Half time olives and humous with Mike and Diane?

If he sits me between to Mike and Diane, I won't be happy.

#9 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

There is no Northern line between Camden and Charing Cross this weekend if anyone was planning to get a tube to Goodge St. Best bet is to go to Warren St or Tottenham Court Road from where the pub is a 5-6 min walk

#10 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Don't bring your car keys.

#11 Stevo

Stevo
  • Coach
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Mike's off in the Algarve on a golf weekend with the guys from the office. Bloody good blokes, actually.

The ale under the new gaffer at the Hope was pretty decent last I was in AND it wasn't ankle deep in the bogs either; no more "sausage of the day" on the menu though.
It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

no more "sausage of the day" on the menu though.

I blame the RFL.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Mike's off in the Algarve on a golf weekend with the guys from the office. Bloody good blokes, actually.

The ale under the new gaffer at the Hope was pretty decent last I was in AND it wasn't ankle deep in the bogs either; no more "sausage of the day" on the menu though.

Is it only me that linked the cleaner bogs with the decline of sausage of the day? :huh:

#14 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Bump!