Photo
- - - - -

Bradford and Dewsbury link up

Rams media release

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#21 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

Bulls coach and 'Dewsbury lad' Cummins emphasised the "natural synergy" after years of over-marketing by the Bulls in the Heavy Woollen area. "Only one professional club will need to exist" He said "because we've already been selling the Super league dream to the people of Dewsbury for years."
He continued. "You know it makes sense."

Fixed

#22 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

yes,clubs sharing resources.

Bradford have certainly taken advantage of those resources belonging to others. I am astounded that the Dewsbury club had it's belly so easily tickled.

#23 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Bradford have certainly taken advantage of those resources belonging to others. I am astounded that the Dewsbury club had it's belly so easily tickled.

Maybe, and this might be way off beam, but perhaps they know a bit more about it and whether it benefits their club than you do?

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Maybe, and this might be way off beam, but perhaps they know a bit more about it and whether it benefits their club than you do?

spot on
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#25 creditwhereitsdews

creditwhereitsdews
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Or maybe they just have less morals.

#26 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Or maybe Dewsbury see it as a good deal for them.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

Who does?

#28 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

There are obviously benefits for both teams in this arrangement, but mostly for Bradford, who avoid the cost of running a reserve team but still keep their players available just in case they need them.

The benefits for Dewbury are that they get some quality players to boost their team.

I can see a problem though with conflicts of interest between the two clubs. For instance, suppose Dewsbury, with the help of the Bradford loanees have a really good season and are challenging for honours in the Championship. Just as this challenge starts to be something concrete, the Bulls have an injury crisis and recall their players, pulling the rug out from under Dewsbury's season

This is a problem I can see from these feeder club arrangements. The feeder club loses their independence to a degree and are at the mercy of the SL club as regards player availability. The SL players also take up rosters spots that could be available for new players from the amateur ranks.

#29 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

The Championship strength is further weakened by the selfish SL clubs who are all more or less losing money and wanting ways to save them money even if it hurts the game as a whole. The clueless duo at the RFL Wood and Rimmer just allow this to happen scrapping academy rugby and tossing talented players on the scrapheap from this years U20s with no thoughts about the way things are in SL and the decisions being made are damaging the game as a whole and the idiots running the game from Red Hal dont seem to have a clue what to do. The fact is SL clubs dont have enough money to do things properly so are looking at ways that can benefit them rather than help Championship clubs. Do people really fall for this runbbish that Leeds twin with Hunslet, Bradford with Dewsbury to help the Championship club out? The fact is Sl clubs only care about themselves and such twinnings have never ever worked in the UK. I remember Leeds and Keighley a few years ago and Leeds scooped up Daryll Powell et al whilst Keighley got next to nothing. Leeds and York also previously has not really worked out.

And Bradford have very little to offer right now anyway and dont even have a real idea where they are heading themselves. They could even be out of SL in 12 months time! The official spin is twinning of clubs of mutual benefit. What rubbish. Sl is in a mess and the RFL is right now run by two clowns who have no idea. Instead of encouraging such things, the RFL should be sitting down with SL and Championship clubs and finding out how serious the problems are and looking to find a framework to work towards and for me force clubs to spend money running an U20s and U18s and bring through players properly. The RFL and all Clubs need to re evaluate things right now in a proper way not just look for ways to save money. Whether that means Scrapping Licences or not or bringing back P & R in some form it doesnt matter. Right now there are major problems in the game and simply scrapping things like the U20s to save money is not a solution but a knee jerk reaction that will hurt the game. The RFL and clubs need to work together to improve things for the game as a whole, not just SL clubs or certain clubs.

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 04 October 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#30 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Leeds and York also previously has not really worked out.

Leeds and York had a nice little arrangement that worked quite well to be fair.
Posted Image

#31 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

How long did it last? 2 seasons at best wasnt it?

#32 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

How will the salary cap now work in the Championship? If Dewsbury can field six or more Bulls players they have a grossly unfair advantage over those clubs in CC who choose not to twin with SL clubs. The integrity of the Championship is seriously compromised just on this one issue alone. Mind you if the SL clubs can save £100k per year it will all be worth it. Will Glen Morrison be in total control of selecting HIS team? If Bradford want a player to play then he'll sure as hell play.

How much thought have the RFL actually put into this?

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 04 October 2012 - 08:20 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#33 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

How long did it last? 2 seasons at best wasnt it?

2004 until one of the March twins got bladdered in a hospitality box at Headingley and they wern't invited back... (2009?)
Posted Image

#34 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

OK sorry thought it was less. My mistake sorry again.

#35 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,611 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

How will the salary cap now work in the Championship? If Dewsbury can field six or more Bulls players they have a grossly unfair advantage over those clubs in CC who choose not to twin with SL clubs. The integrity of the Championship is seriously compromised just on this one issue alone. Mind you if the SL clubs can save £100k per year it will all be worth it. Will Glen Morrison be in total control of selecting HIS team? If Bradford want a player to play then he'll sure as hell play.

I and many others share your fears. Some Championship clubs will 'go it alone' some will be half full of SL fringe first teamers on an irregular basis. What a recipe for disaster.

#36 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

OK sorry thought it was less. My mistake sorry again.

Nah its alright. I understand your concern, but if both clubs put the effort in, it *could* work well for everyone.
Posted Image

#37 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

How do the SL clubs save £100k per year? Is this across all clubs or per club?
I presume the SL clubs will still have to pay the wages of the players they are farming out? CC clubs can't afford it and/or will break the salary cap (unless it is to be conveniently ignored for this purpose).
Does it really cost £100k to run a reserve team outside of the players salaries?

If Team A has the use of 7 dual reg players for the course of the season, and are doing very well, then their parent club Team B has a bit of an injury crisis with 6 games to go of the regular season. How does Team A i) Finance new players to keep their momentum going and ii) stay onside of the salary cap, as presumably their salary cap will be spent with 6 games to go. Does their season just fall apart without those 7 key players, some in key positions.

This could spell real trouble for a CC club who rely on (or are forced to play certain players) in this arrangement.

#38 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

The maximum number of players allowed is 5. Alot of clubs already had players in and out out of the squad on loans and dual reg. All this does is give Dewsbury options.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#39 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

A heck of a lot, around about 1995 when they calculated they needed clubs to merge to form a strong Superleague that could stand the test of time.

Instead they ended up with all the clubs going it alone so many so called SL clubs are now skint and many Championship SL wanabees will dream on year after year.

The tie ups may look like the RFL making a mess of things, but to me it looks like them trying to achieve what they wanted to achieve in 1996.

The "Calder" idea was merging on the ridiculous according to some. Resisting this lead to Wakey going bust, Cas in a "precarious position" and your lot never having got in SL after all these years.

Don't mistake this as "having a go", I'm just offering a reason why this move is happening...

#40 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Bradford have certainly taken advantage of those resources belonging to others.

You seem to indicate that a club has a right to the players and fans in their area??

If that was a right and was enforced, Superleague would collapse then the game itself would collapse.