Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford and Dewsbury link up

Rams media release

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

The Championship strength is further weakened by the selfish SL clubs who are all more or less losing money and wanting ways to save them money even if it hurts the game as a whole.

Championship strength??

What strength?? Minimal junior set ups if any and an average of what 1400 fans a game????

As for your criticism of Super League clubs losing money, of course they lose money, it's hard to run as a professional outfit without enough fans and players.

But hey, let's go back 20 years and all run semi professionally and erm all lose money......

This game has to combine resources and stop trying to pickle the past.

#42 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

A heck of a lot, around about 1995 when they calculated they needed clubs to merge to form a strong Superleague that could stand the test of time.

Instead they ended up with all the clubs going it alone so many so called SL clubs are now skint and many Championship SL wanabees will dream on year after year.

The tie ups may look like the RFL making a mess of things, but to me it looks like them trying to achieve what they wanted to achieve in 1996.

The "Calder" idea was merging on the ridiculous according to some. Resisting this lead to Wakey going bust, Cas in a "precarious position" and your lot never having got in SL after all these years.

Don't mistake this as "having a go", I'm just offering a reason why this move is happening...

So how's the salary cap going to work so that it doesn't compromise the integrity of the competition? Featherstone have to spread theirs over a full squad while Dewsbury have half a dozen SL players who will be exempt leaving them with a large chunk of money to top up their squad with high quality players. How can it be a fair competition? All for the greater good I suppose.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 04 October 2012 - 10:01 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#43 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

What strength?? Minimal junior set ups if any

Both Featherstone and Sheffield are on an equal footing to SL clubs in this respect but sadly don't have the £110k annual hand out to fund it, like SL clubs do.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#44 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

stinks, go into administration shaft your creditors and still given a top rating by the RFL..............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#45 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

When this like other well worked out plans by the RFL fail or they change the rules before the bottom drops out, will the clubs like Dewsbury find themselves trawling the Teir 4 leagues for a couple A N Others and a few S O Else's?
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#46 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

Both Featherstone and Sheffield are on an equal footing to SL clubs in this respect but sadly don't have the £110k annual hand out to fund it, like SL clubs do.

and just where are bradford getting the £110k to hand out?????
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#47 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

Championship strength??

What strength?? Minimal junior set ups if any and an average of what 1400 fans a game????

As for your criticism of Super League clubs losing money, of course they lose money, it's hard to run as a professional outfit without enough fans and players.

But hey, let's go back 20 years and all run semi professionally and erm all lose money......

even for you parky, that was the most arrogant and ridiculous drivel i have ever read...............championship clubs are the heart of our game and develop young players at a much higher rate than super league clubs, who's sole aim appears to be to recruit as many antipodeans on dodgy passports as possible.

#48 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Championship strength??

But the whole purpose of these arrangements is to minimise the junior set ups of the SL clubs. You are slating the CC clubs for minimal junior set ups in a post defending SL clubs for reducing their junior set up. This is a little hypocritical, don t you think ?

#49 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

and just where are bradford getting the £110k to hand out?????

The RFL have given them it after going round stealing all the kiddies charity boxes. They also used the money from the poppy collection too.

The aim is to remove Dewsbury from RL, then maybe Batley. Eventually they hope to kill off the entire game of Rugby League.

It's pretty obvious what the game is really.

#50 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

You are slating the CC clubs for minimal junior set ups in a post defending SL clubs for reducing their junior set up.

Oh my gawd here we go again.

I'm not slating anyone and I am not defending anyone, can't you discuss a situation without drawing battle lines??

Amateur clubs in Championship areas have provided around three dozen first team Superleague players to Superleague. Superleague develops it's own players from local junior clubs too, but only four clubs could make up a Superleague side from locals.

And so the game has to ship in going on for 80 overseas players

Simple, the game does not produce enough quality players and those that appear in Championship club areas go straight to Superleague and by pass the Championship clubs.

#51 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

even for you parky, that was the most arrogant and ridiculous drivel i have ever read...............championship clubs are the heart of our game and develop young players at a much higher rate than super league clubs, who's sole aim appears to be to recruit as many antipodeans on dodgy passports as possible.

And here we go yet again. Where does "arrogant" come from? What should I call you keyboard warrior???

How do "championship clubs (are the heart of our game and) develop young players at a much higher rate than super league clubs"

What we are talking about here is the development Superleague players. I suggest you count up how many Superleague players come from Batley, York, Keighley, Doncaster, Sheffield, Hunslet, Rochdale, Barrow and Dewsbury. You couldn't even make one team up with the number.

None of these Championship clubs and others can ever get a side together to compete in SL because the few quality players in their areas choose to go straight to SL clubs from their amateur clubs.

The heart of our game is the junior amateur game and the schools.

Edited by The Parksider, 05 October 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#52 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

So how's the salary cap going to work so that it doesn't compromise the integrity of the competition? How can it be a fair competition?

AFAIK It's not going to work and it isn't going to be fair Terry, but I suggest you check with Red Hall and also ask the RL press to investigate this, they have journos who COULD dig into what's going on. I will wait and see if Hunslet knock your lads off the top of the Championship, if they do I won't cheer out of respect.....

#53 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

The maximum number of players allowed is 5. Alot of clubs already had players in and out out of the squad on loans and dual reg. All this does is give Dewsbury options.

Maxumum of 5, really? Other clubs entering into these partnetships ate quoting up to 6, but be clear its not 5 or 6 players on loan or dr. As the release says its 5/6 players from a pool that changes on weekly basis. Glen Morrison will choose his own team but Francis Cummins will be choosing approx a third of the squad. Contrary to the spin various clubs appear keen to promote this is not similar to previous arrangments it is very different.

There are now at least 4 of these partnerships yet we still dont know what the rules are. A cynic could be forgiven for wondering if someone in a position of power has decided they are going to be hard to sell.

#54 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

My actual problem with all this, is the junior set up system. Frankly from my point of view it's failed. SL money has been thrown at junior academies without unveiling any more top class talent than the old system. In fact the number of pretty average players are being sold the dream far more than ever before.

All this arrangement does is perpetuate a fundamental problem. It offers relatively average talent another competition to play in rather than an academy competition.

The fact is neither the championship nor the academy system can force average academy players to spring wings. Neither can our game support the number of average players at the level they expect to play in; i.e SL.

The real problem for the RFL is to find a way of sorting this problem out rather than papering over the cracks.

In my opinion professional clubs have a responsibility to sign players it can conceivably offer a game, and run their club in accordance with the needs of the competitions it enters. Bradford had no desire to play in the Championship so why should the Championship be used as a method of hoarding average players it will likely discard?

The amateur side of the game has proven historically to hold the key to developing talent as they have no choice but to do so. All professional clubs should foster these relationships and invest time and money here rather than the SL and championship clubs playing at it.

#55 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

You seem to indicate that a club has a right to the players and fans in their area??

If that was a right and was enforced, Superleague would collapse then the game itself would collapse.

No I'm referring to the ease with which they keep other people's money.

#56 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Oh my gawd here we go again.

I'm not slating anyone and I am not defending anyone, can't you discuss a situation without drawing battle lines??

Amateur clubs in Championship areas have provided around three dozen first team Superleague players to Superleague. Superleague develops it's own players from local junior clubs too, but only four clubs could make up a Superleague side from locals.

And so the game has to ship in going on for 80 overseas players

Simple, the game does not produce enough quality players and those that appear in Championship club areas go straight to Superleague and by pass the Championship clubs.

That is surely wrong, Doncaster Toll Bar alone have supplied a good few players who have gone on to Super League clubs including Ian Kirke
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#57 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Is that made up?

There appears to be far more SL club developed players in the Championships than Championship club developed players in SL.

#58 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

There are now at least 4 of these partnerships yet we still dont know what the rules are. A cynic could be forgiven for wondering if someone in a position of power has decided they are going to be hard to sell.

But they aren't hard to sell at all as the deal is done at Leeds/Hunslet and at Bradford/Dewsbury and other places.

As soon as this emerged Sheffield and Featherstone naturally took it very hard and their coaches spoke out against it. They wouldn't buy it. But they are silent now, what can they do when fellow Championship clubs are buying the deal??

#59 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

Maybe, and this might be way off beam, but perhaps they know a bit more about it and whether it benefits their club than you do?

Maybe they do. The games going in a direction I don't like, I think the professional clubs have messed about with academies long enough.

If they can't do it for themselves they are only sharing bad practice surely? From memory I can't recall a Dewsbury academy product that made SL, maybe someone could remind me? As for Bradford , they can spot class and have the money to buy it but do they have an academy with a history to be proud of?

For me the wee shoots that grow in the amateur game are not given long enough to suckle from the vine before they are plucked. Neither Bradford or Dewsbury can change the lack of progression in uncovering world class talent via the academy structure so lets find a way of letting the grass roots system finish the job.

#60 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

But they aren't hard to sell at all as the deal is done at Leeds/Hunslet and at Bradford/Dewsbury and other places.

As soon as this emerged Sheffield and Featherstone naturally took it very hard and their coaches spoke out against it. They wouldn't buy it. But they are silent now, what can they do when fellow Championship clubs are buying the deal??

It would appear that only Halifax, Sheffield and Featherstone are not looking to become a feeder club or have stated they aren't.. Be interesting to have the RFL announce what the rules are for this and what their "plan" is for the Championship. Surely they have one?