Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

James Graham

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#61 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Ive never understood this plead guilty leniency thing. Basically they are saying dont bother trying to claim innocence as we will hammer you, but just admit it (even if you didnt actually do it) and you we will definitely let you off a bit. Very odd.

Exactly.

#62 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

But why would you plead guilty if you're not guilty?

To get a lesser ban.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#63 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

To get a lesser ban.

But you're not guilty so you shouldn't be getting a ban at all.

#64 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Why would you plead not guilty if you are guilty?

Hoping for insufficient evidence ?

Who knows the why's and wherefores - needless to say he is and has been dished out a lengthy ban.
I don't expect he'll ever have a gaping mouth next to an opponents head again!
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#65 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

But you're not guilty so you shouldn't be getting a ban at all.

Unfortunately they have found that he is.

#66 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

Unfortunately they have found that he is.

Indeed. Although he is still protesting his innocence, which is unusual for rugby league players found guilty of something.

#67 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

Indeed. Although he is still protesting his innocence, which is unusual for rugby league players found guilty of something.

Has to take it on the chin and move on.

#68 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Has to take it on the chin and move on.

Not if he isn't guilty he doesn't. That's a massive smear on his reputation and if he's not even guilty of it then he should make as big a fuss as he can manage.

#69 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

The injury on Slater's ear looks more like a scratch than a bite on this photo....

Posted Image

Can't see any evidence of teeth marks nor any bruising (biting always causes bruising due to the 'crushing' effect on the tissue).

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#70 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

Not if he isn't guilty he doesn't. That's a massive smear on his reputation and if he's not even guilty of it then he should make as big a fuss as he can manage.

John Stankeveitch tried this approach and got slated by most

#71 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

No. I have a number of Australian friends.

Fortunately, even the Victorians know more about rugby than you.

:rolleyes:
We don't call it Rugby here, that's the game the other blokes play, still you are the know it all MrPosh.

#72 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

He's got 12 matchs

thoroughly deserved, it was a shocking incident.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#73 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

really confused by this now,i too watched it on Sunday,thought after the allegation from slater and watching the replay i thought guilty as sin,But after Slaters refusal to attend the hearing and Grahams subsequent strong denial,maybe his defence that he was giving Slater some serious scouse verbals could be true.
Graham must have been advised by the dogs about the sentencing precident,plead guilty and get a 8 game ban,but he obviously denied the accusation and so pleading not guilty and risked a larger ban.
As for the starting point of all this,Slater had every right to try and prevent the try,what he did was not illegal or over the top,Perritt had a similar reaction in the semi against Sam Burgess which was proven to be legal.What was wrong was Krisnan Inu's reaction to Slater,I'm surprised that after Stagg ( i think it was him) is trying to drag Slater away from the melee no one has actually picked up on Widdop who actually headbutedt Stagg,I didnt record the game but i'm pretty sure of what i saw first off.
Maybe someone who recorded the whole game can confirm this as the replays on the day only shown the start and end of the fracas

#74 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

I could see why someone would plead not guilty if guilty, as the case may not be proven against them. I struggle to see why Slater would allege it if it did not happen, especially as it was unlikely that the person would be sent off. Slater is the person best placed to assert that he was bitten, and he did so instantly and was prepared to show the evidence.
I am persuaded Graham did it. What puzzles me is how he came to lose it to that extent in a game more closely watched than pretty much any other he is ever likely to play in... Madness, sheer madness.

#75 Dennis Bloodnock

Dennis Bloodnock
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

We don't call it Rugby here, that's the game the other blokes play, still you are the know it all MrPosh.

But he is not in Australia though.A lot of people in England call rugby league "rugby"Paley being a prime example :)
I can speak Esperanto like a native.

#76 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

I reckon he got stitched up by the Judiciary keen to show they're not to be messed with and a pathetic bunch in the Sydney media keen for a bit of Pom Bashing. I suspect the initial contact with Slaters Lug may have been accidental due to all the pushing and shoving going on, he may then have thought to have a nibble, it certainly wasn't a full on bite as he would have been banned sine die, The original instigator was Inu shoving Slater over for whatever reason and not getting booked! Graham should appeal they can't give him any more so he's got nowt to lose!

Regards calling Union as Rugby in Oz is apparently a modern phenomenon thats crept in during the last 15-50 years according to the Man in the Strand!

Edited by Blotto, 05 October 2012 - 03:17 AM.

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

#77 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

?"

Posted Image

The picture clearly shows one mark on Slater's ear.If Graham had bitten Slater, then a complete set of of puncture marks would have been visible across the ear.

#78 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

Posted Image

This is a close up of Slater's ear which shows the injury in a bit more detail.

Slater gave a written statement to the hearing. I presume this was considered, together with the video evidence.

#79 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

Posted Image

This is a close up of Slater's ear which shows the injury in a bit more detail.

Slater gave a written statement to the hearing. I presume this was considered, together with the video evidence.

There is a lot of blood shown in that photo with only one dark laceration.I don't suppose Graham has one tooth longer than the rest.

#80 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

Posted Image

There is a lot of blood shown in that photo with only one dark laceration.I don't suppose Graham has one tooth longer than the rest.

Apparently he does!
Missing, broken and chipped I read.
Seems strange to me that so many are trying to defend what looked blatant to me.

Still everyones entitled to an opinion - however wrong it is ;) :D
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users