25 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

It's the return of Red Dwarf tonight.

http://www.guardian....-smegging-goods

I'll be watching, hoping it's good, but fearing in advance that if it was any good, it would be on the Beeb, not Dave.

Fingers crossed.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

It's the return of Red Dwarf tonight.

http://www.guardian....-smegging-goods

I'll be watching, hoping it's good, but fearing in advance that if it was any good, it would be on the Beeb, not Dave.

Fingers crossed.

Likewise. As much as I hope it turns out to be fantastic, I fear it will turn out to be garbage. Whilst I did get the odd laugh out of the "Back to Earth" they did a couple of years ago, by and large it was terrible. :(

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#3 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

I'm a big fan of comedy and a big fan of sci-fi, but for some reason I've never really taken to Red Dwarf. I was going to say maybe I'm too young for it, but I enjoy much older comedy and sci-fi so don't know what it is.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

(Where) does Back to Earth fit in this extended time line?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'm a big fan of comedy and a big fan of sci-fi, but for some reason I've never really taken to Red Dwarf. I was going to say maybe I'm too young for it, but I enjoy much older comedy and sci-fi so don't know what it is.

I'm no sci-fi fan, but I just find that in general, there is some very clever writing in Red Dwarf, although the last couple of series did loose the plot a bit. Right sort of era for me though, I started watching it aroud series 3 or 4, and remember watching 7 & 8 in my student days.

My wife hates anything sci-fi, yet the few epoisodes she's seen, I've caught her laughing away to. :D

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#6 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

(Where) does Back to Earth fit in this extended time line?

Effectively, it was series 9. Having only seen it once, I can't remember where it was supposed to fit in timeline wise to the other series, but by the sounds of it, this new series sounds to have jumped forwards a fair bit. Needs to have really, to explain the characters aging.

Please view my photos.

#7 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

Red Dwarf dropped completely off the radar when the brought back Kochanski. Enjoyed the books.

#8 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Effectively, it was series 9. Having only seen it once, I can't remember where it was supposed to fit in timeline wise to the other series, but by the sounds of it, this new series sounds to have jumped forwards a fair bit. Needs to have really, to explain the characters aging.

Red Dwarf has a timeline? It's had more reboots than a PC with Windows Vista on it. Previews of series X are cautiously optimistic. I shall watch ... nowt else on.

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Worth a punt, I suppose. You never know...

I watched the first few series avidly and loved the writing, especially for Rimmer's character. Later series were more a case of "if nothing else is on, I'll give it a watch".

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,516 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

I suppose I must consider myself a fan. Watched it since the very first episode, and have the complete set on DVD, including the special outtakes (Smeg Ups).DVD brought out a few years ago (though I didn't buy this, my other half gave it me one Christmas, not a fan of those type of things personally).

Looking forward, as others are, with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation to this new series. Just hope they go back to the quality of the writing the achieved in the first 4 - 5 series. We shall see.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#11 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Red Dwarf dropped completely off the radar when the brought back Kochanski. Enjoyed the books.

The books were excellent. Better than life and the last human we're my favourites.

I'm a massive Red Dwarf fan, had all of the first six series on VHS and was the reason hay me and the missus got together. Haven't really watched them recently until Dave started rerunning the old series. You forget how good the writing was and how well sci-if can handle such subject matter. Can't wait.
Fides invicta triumphat

#12 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,516 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Well that was far better than I feared. Some genuine LOL moments. Glad it's back.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#13 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

Red Dwarf had one of the best jokes I have heard;

Lister: what was death like?

Rimmer: like holidaying with a group of Germans (delivered perfectly by Chris Barry)

#14 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

yep that was quite good :D

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

Much better than expected that. I actually laughed - which I'm sure didn't happen on the last Dave series.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#16 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Not bad - the cast reckon there's better to come in this series.

More like meeting an old friend who you like, and finding they haven't changed.

Is it a moose? and Lister's rant about the phone complaint were the best bits.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#17 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,516 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

Not bad - the cast reckon there's better to come in this series.

More like meeting an old friend who you like, and finding they haven't changed.

Is it a moose? and Lister's rant about the phone complaint were the best bits.

You could see it coming from the middle of last week, but it still made me laugh out loud.

#18 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

I recently rewatched all the Red Dwarf on Netflix and really enjoyed them. Surprisingly, I liked series 7 and 8 which I didn't at the time. There was quite a gap between series 6 and 7 due to Craig Charles's prison sentence and series 7 was so highly anticipated that it didn't live up to the hype. I think I mistakenly have since presumed that series 7 was rubbish when it just wasn't as good.

My favourite line from the show is the first Polymorph episode,

"Well I say we get out there and tw*t it!"

Genuinely laugh out loud.

#19 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Red Dwarf has a timeline? It's had more reboots than a PC with Windows Vista on it. Previews of series X are cautiously optimistic. I shall watch ... nowt else on.

Ah, that's where I went wrong, I was trying to record Wilfred on BBC3 at the same time, when the reminder came on screen my other half cancelled one while I was in the shower, I went F****ing ballistic when I found out she had cancelled Red Dwarf so she could watch a CSI S41t.

I have spent today making it up to her, including the cooking of a 3 course meal tonight.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#20 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

A few laugh out loud moments, but mainly just sat there enjoying it with a smile on my face, like being reunited with an old friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users