Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

James Graham - Big Ban

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,536 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Despite protesting his innocence, James Graham has been found guilty of biting Billy Slater's ear in the Grand Final.
His punishment is a 12 week ban. This is a pretty big punishement - the biggest for biting in Aussie RL from what I can tell.
Bulldogs dislikers are lining up to give him and his club some stick.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

http://www.dailymail...-match-ban.html
A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#3 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,536 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

As there doesn't seem to be a picture which shows Graham with Billy's ear in his mouth, just moving footage which looked convincingly like he did - well that's what I thought when I saw it at the time- it seems to be a decision taken on the balance of probability.
There was blood. All sorts had gone on involving Billy just before their contact. If the ref saw a bite mark then that's it - decision correct and deserving of lengthy ban.
Looking at that footage though with Graham's widely bared teeth, it's a wonder if he did bite him that Billy didn't have a more damage or the loss of part of an ear.

Edited by G Las D, 05 October 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#4 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

I dont know what to make of it.

Graham is still protesting his innocence and there is no real conclusive video evidence that he bit Slaters ear, and the actual mark left on the ear does not appear consistent with a bite mark.

Was this trial by media and he was guilty before the hearing? The video looks bad, but not conclusive.

12 games seems a touch harsh.

#5 Stoney100

Stoney100
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

I dont know what to make of it.

Graham is still protesting his innocence and there is no real conclusive video evidence that he bit Slaters ear, and the actual mark left on the ear does not appear consistent with a bite mark.

Was this trial by media and he was guilty before the hearing? The video looks bad, but not conclusive.

12 games seems a touch harsh.

Must admit agree with Royce Simmons Graham is hard / tough but fair.

I think that if he had biten him they would have taken the guity plead to get a lighter ban - so Graham and the dogs must think he has no case.

Pictures looked a bit damming but you could not say he is actually biting him just a close clinch and the picture of Slater's eyes well lets say it is not Holyfield's wound - does not seem damaged at all.

Bet you being a Pom did not help him in anyway - bet if it was the other way round the sentence would not be 12 games.

If guilty then Ok - I have no probs but even with the media view I could not be sure.

When I saw it on Sunday morning I thought it was now I see more views of it and Slater's ear I am not too sure now they may be some doubt at least.

Edited by Stoney100, 05 October 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#6 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

12 game ban or 12 week ban?

Edited by shun, 05 October 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#7 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:43 AM

12 GAME ban - Will work out this way - Miss 2 England games - Miss 2 official NRL trial games - Miss round 1 to 8 of season 2013 - Back in for selection round 9

Two items in the case - The Bulldogs called in a'dentist',(?) to claim Graham's teeth are so jagged they may have 'grazed' Slater's ear by accident.
After the decision the Bulldogs remarked they got a fair hearing & although unhappy would not appeal the decision.

For me - A bloke does not take out his mouth guard to whisper sweet nothings to an enemy in an on field brawl :wacko:

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#8 rugby female

rugby female
  • Coach
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

Once a Ginger Stain always a Ginger Stain!!!!! :rolleyes:

#9 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,536 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

12 GAME ban - Will work out this way - Miss 2 England games - Miss 2 official NRL trial games - Miss round 1 to 8 of season 2013 - Back in for selection round 9

Two items in the case - The Bulldogs called in a'dentist',(?) to claim Graham's teeth are so jagged they may have 'grazed' Slater's ear by accident.
After the decision the Bulldogs remarked they got a fair hearing & although unhappy would not appeal the decision.

For me - A bloke does not take out his mouth guard to whisper sweet nothings to an enemy in an on field brawl :wacko:

The whole brawl seemed to be a spillage of tension and emotional release in such a high pressure game.
Billy was doing all he could to minimise contact with the try scorer although committed to a tackle. Inu then raised the stakes by coming in and shoving Billy away - pride and loyalty then took centre stage with handbags at three paces.
The Graham incident was the worst part of it, but wouldn't have happened if this 'all pile in' mentality hadn't reared it's ugly head. Understandable I suppose but it usually ends up with a number of players up before the judiciary.

#10 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Side note : I have to admire the spunk of young Josh Reynolds who took it upon himself to grab & throw a punch......................
At a former member of the Fijian Drug Squad :blink:

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users