Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Romney v Obama

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would you vote for? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you vote for?

1. Obama (33 votes [78.57%])

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

2. Romney (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. Neither (3 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. I'm not American, why should I care. (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Mitt Romney is adjudged to have 'won' the first US Presidential TV debate with Barack Obama.
http://www.guardian....idential-debate

Will Obama be a one-term Prez? Watching from afar he strikes me as being reasonably competent and occasionally likeable, whereas I find the prospect of President Romneyshambles quite depressing.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

"I'm not American, why should I care"

Although my actual answer would be more diplomatic, "not fussed".

I know little of UK politics, I know 99% less than that of US politics. I'm not sure who's who, Democrat or Republican, but that Obama's party are the good guys. I know even less of how the two parties would compare to ours on the 'wing' sliding scale.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,822 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

There is, I've heard, a bit of a tradition of the standing President not doing well in the first public debate. Plenty of time to go.

He's been an okay President - nothing special - but I certainlt wouldn't like to see Mittens (and the even weirder and nastier folks behind him) as the most powerful politician in the Western world.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

In all fairness if there was one debate that he was going to be vulnerable on just like any other American president it is the economy so not unexpected. Romney still needs a huge turnaround to close the deficit that he has in the polls!

Nick Clegg was the most impressive in the first debates in our last election!!!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#5 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Romney is a moron comparable only to Reagan or Bush Junior therefore anyone bar Dick Cheney would be preferable.

#6 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

American friends have said the 'debate' was boring and pointless, they both talked over each other, went over time, never answered the questions and said nothing substantive. So, normal politics, then.

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,822 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Romney is a moron comparable only to Reagan or Bush Junior therefore anyone bar Dick Cheney would be preferable.

In the Republican nomination race, Romney looked like a slick operator up against Gingrich, RuPaul, that woman who kept gabbling on about witchcraft etc. Then he came over to Europe and came across as a clumsy rube. The Democrats will be playing on that, I'm sure.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

In the Republican nomination race, Romney looked like a slick operator up against Gingrich, RuPaul, that woman who kept gabbling on about witchcraft etc. Then he came over to Europe and came across as a clumsy rube. The Democrats will be playing on that, I'm sure.

The problem is that the American electorate don't care much about or have much knowledge of foreign policy.

#9 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Why do many American Presidential candidates look like extras from a Barbie photoshoot? Romney looks plastic...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#10 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,693 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

As Jon Stewart said on the Daily Show, Obama is one lucky ###### to be up against a man and a party who are mad as a bag of frogs, only Romney is luckier to have fought for the GOP nomination against Bachmann, Gingrich, Santorum et al. I'm an unashamed Obama fan, he can do no wrong IMO.
Fides invicta triumphat

#11 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,693 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Why do many American Presidential candidates look like extras from a Barbie photoshoot? Romney looks plastic...

I guess that's what they call the 'all American' look.
Fides invicta triumphat

#12 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,946 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

The problem is that the American electorate don't care much about or have much knowledge of foreign policy.

Most Americans don't have passports. Large numbers of Americans live thousands of miles from the sea or their neighbouring countries So. I suppose we'd be the same in the same situation. I suppose the ones who venture abroad have a different outlook. We met two American couples this summer, one in the Crown Liquor Saloon in Belfast and the other in a bar in Rouen and they were really friendly and seemed like really nice people.

Edited by Trojan, 04 October 2012 - 10:03 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#13 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

"I'm not American, why should I care"

Although my actual answer would be more diplomatic, "not fussed".

I know little of UK politics, I know 99% less than that of US politics. I'm not sure who's who, Democrat or Republican, but that Obama's party are the good guys. I know even less of how the two parties would compare to ours on the 'wing' sliding scale.

So why post?

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

So why post?

Keep you on your toes, you haven't been condescending for a day or two.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,693 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Keep you on your toes, you haven't been condescending for a day or two.

Ooh snap!
Fides invicta triumphat

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

he can do no wrong IMO.

He can do plenty wrong.

He's just not as bad as the loon.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 Stevo

Stevo
  • Coach
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Obama hasn't been a bad president - I think particularly domestically he's done some good things, and probably deserves credit for steering the US economy to slightly safer waters - but my impression is that when it comes to the "big picture" stuff he's been found wanting.

The US defecit problem is still unresolved (is it next year that the US govt will run out of money again?); he's fudged the withdrawal from Afghanistan; the middle-east as a whole looks as mental and dangerous a place as it ever did; and he's continued some of the shameful policies of previous administrations - drone bombing of civilians in Pakistan perhaps tops the list.

If he get's a second term I hope he takes a few more chances.

Romney to me looks like another stuffed dummy politician: charming, presentable and reasonably bright, but utterly malleable to his proposers' and supporters' wishes. Not to be trusted in a position of power.

I also reckon Obama should have gone for Clinton, H. as a running mate.
It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

The MidEast being a mess is hardly Obama's fault. It has been a mess for decades and will be so for decades to come.

The US don't have a policy of drone bombing civilians. They target terrorists and sometimes civilians get caught up in it, said but the nature of war.

#19 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

He's fudged the withdrawal from Afghanistan; the middle-east as a whole looks as mental and dangerous a place as it ever did; and he's continued some of the shameful policies of previous administrations - drone bombing of civilians in Pakistan perhaps tops the list.

The MidEast being a mess is hardly Obama's fault. It has been a mess for decades and will be so for decades to come.

The US don't have a policy of drone bombing civilians. They target terrorists and sometimes civilians get caught up in it, said but the nature of war.

How has Obama fudged the withdrawal from Afghanistan?

I find myself agreeing with NS again (!), the Middle East mess has absolutely nothing to do with Obama and the policy of drone strikes against Al Qaeda operatives has systematically whipped out much of the Al Qaeda leadership leaving them a dispirited, fragmented and smallscale world player. The drone strikes have been a massive success (but controversial of course).

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

The drone strikes have been a massive success (but controversial of course).

By conservative estimates that's 10 dead completely-innocent civilians for every possible terrorist killed.

*slow hand clap*
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users