Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wolves odds-on for the double

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Warrington Wolves have been named as the odds-on favourites to win the 2012 Stobart Super League Grand Final when they meet Leeds Rhinos at Old Trafford, Manchester in the season decider on Saturday (6.00pm).

Victory would see Warrington become the first team since St Helens in 2006, and only the third team in the Super League era, to complete a Challenge Cup and Super League Grand Final double with the Wolves priced at 1/2 by bookmaker William Hill.

Leeds, bidding to win their fifth Super League crown in six years, have been priced at 7/4 to emerge victorious on Saturday with the Rhinos having been priced as far out as 18/1 to clinch the title during the opening week of the play-offs.

Warrington talisman Lee Briers is seen as favourite to lift the prestigious Harry Sunderland Trophy as Grand Final Man of the Match, with the half-back priced at 9/2 to add the individual award to the Lance Todd Trophy he won at the 2010 Challenge Cup Final.

Warrington full-back Brett Hodgson (5/1) and Leeds captain Kevin Sinfield (6/1) are seen as the two men most likely to challenge Briers for the Harry Sunderland Trophy.

Warrington wingers Joel Monaghan and Chris Riley are joint-favourites to open the scoring at the Grand Final, with both players priced at 8/1 while Leeds and England winger Ryan Hall is priced at 10/2.

Limited tickets for the 2012 Stobart Super League Grand Final priced from £21 are still available to purchase via www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk or by contacting the RFL Ticket Office on 0844 856 1113.

For further betting markets visit
http://sports.willia...Warrington.html

-ends-

Nathan Clarke
Media Executive

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Warrington wingers Joel Monaghan and Chris Riley are joint-favourites to open the scoring at the Grand Final, with both players priced at 8/1 while Leeds and England winger Ryan Hall is priced at 10/2.

That doesn't work does it? That would make Hall favourite.

#3 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

Odds on in a two horse race is a strong statement!

I'd have Wire as favourites, but odds on? Perhaps not. :o
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

But they are 8/15 - doesn't that mean 'odds on'? Excuse my ignorance if not, always thought that's what the term meant.

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

More fuel for the Rhinos camp :)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

More fuel for the Rhinos camp :)

Surely bookies don't motivate teams now? There's almost always a favourite and an underdog.

Edited by Dave T, 04 October 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,093 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Given Warringtons league position and that fact that they have already beaten Leeds in one final this year,hardly surprising they have been made favourites.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Given Warringtons league position and that fact that they have already beaten Leeds in one final this year,hardly surprising they have been made favourites.

I thought pre season games didn't count? As Leeds have 3 wins against 2 wins and a defeat in the season proper, shouldn't they be favourites? :rolleyes:

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,093 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

I thought pre season games didn't count? As Leeds have 3 wins against 2 wins and a defeat in the season proper, shouldn't they be favourites? :rolleyes:

What are you on about,pre season games?
Leeds beat Warrington at Headingley,lost at the HJ and at Wembley.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 04 October 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#10 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

What are you on about,pre season games?
Leeds beat Warrington at Headingley,lost at the HJ and at Wembley.

Think he's referring to the play-offs as "the season proper". Leeds have won 3 on the trot, Wire won 2 and lost 1. He must be upset Wigan came top and failed to make the final.

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Naughty... :D

#12 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Think he's referring to the play-offs as "the season proper". Leeds have won 3 on the trot, Wire won 2 and lost 1. He must be upset Wigan came top and failed to make the final.

whoosh

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,093 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Obviously.Dishes it,can't take it. ;)

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 04 October 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#14 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,093 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

whoosh

Instead of being snide,just come out and say what you really mean. :rolleyes:

#15 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

Instead of being snide,just come out and say what you really mean. :rolleyes:

whoops - replied to that on the wrong thread

#16 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

If you offered both sides at odds against - i.e. bigger than even money - then punters couldn't possibly lose. E.g. Leeds at 11/10, Warrington at 11/10, place a tenner on both and you'd be guaranteed to win a pound.

In percentage terms, Warrington being 8/15 suggests they have a 65% chance of winning.

And that Ryan Hall price is clearly a typo. He's 10/1 with William Hill (but better available elsewhere).

Edited by Kenny Bania, 04 October 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#17 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

Typical Warrington arrogance.

Southstand Loiner will be on in a minute to say Leeds will have this pinned up on the dressing room wall and stuff it down our throats.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#18 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

More bookies odds here...

http://www.oddscheck...rrington/winner

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#19 Mr Rugby League

Mr Rugby League
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

If Warrington defend as well as they did against saints on Saturday and control the ball well, with their attacking prowess makes it hard to see past a victory for the wolves.
Them being favourites is not a surprise, particularly after their victory over Leeds at Wembley this year.

However, Leeds seem to take it up a notch through the play offs, living up to their name and trampling the opposition in an almost rhino-like manner. This would therefore take a brave man to write them off.

I just wish I had gone with my gut and put a sneaky tenner on them at the start of the play offs when they were 12/1 to win the grand final.

#20 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Typical Warrington arrogance.

Southstand Loiner will be on in a minute to say Leeds will have this pinned up on the dressing room wall and stuff it down our throats.

nope dont need to ryan baileys dad has already got his bet on and told ryan he had better win or else.

me i got my money on after the wakefield game that seemed the tricky one . from there on its pretty steady .
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users